Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?

I was just wondering who here is honest.

I know that the initial quality rating given by G8 owners is pretty bad according to JD Power ( http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Pontiac.../Sedan/ratings ), and I can understand why.

I have a friend of mine that traded in their 2006 Roush Mustang for a 2009 G8 GT, and they completely hate it. The car is brand new and already it has more issues then their Ford did in the 4 years they owned it.

The top of the line stereo sounds like a 1980's boom box compared to even the mediocre, middle grade Shaker 500 system in the Mustang's. It is very staticy almost as if it were missing then antenna. (plus it already blew a speaker.)

It handles like a boat compared to the Mustang.

It already randomly shakes/runs rough upon initial start up, as well as making an anemic wheezing/whistling sound upon start up.

The steering wheel shakes at 55 - 65 mph even after rebalancing.

It is nut-less from a roll, not wanting to downshift as it should.

The keyless entry doesn't always unlock all the doors even if you push the unlock button on the remote multiple times.

Anyone else ever have these issues that you shouldn't have on a $30K+ brand new car ?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KC Henry
I was just wondering who here is honest.

I know that the initial quality rating given by G8 owners is pretty bad according to JD Power ( http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Pontiac.../Sedan/ratings ), and I can understand why.

I have a friend of mine that traded in their 2006 Roush Mustang for a 2009 G8 GT, and they completely hate it. The car is brand new and already it has more issues then their Ford did in the 4 years they owned it.

The top of the line stereo sounds like a 1980's boom box compared to even the mediocre, middle grade Shaker 500 system in the Mustang's. It is very staticy almost as if it were missing then antenna. (plus it already blew a speaker.)

It handles like a boat compared to the Mustang.

It already randomly shakes/runs rough upon initial start up, as well as making an anemic wheezing/whistling sound upon start up.

The steering wheel shakes at 55 - 65 mph even after rebalancing.

It is nut-less from a roll, not wanting to downshift as it should.

The keyless entry doesn't always unlock all the doors even if you push the unlock button on the remote multiple times.

Anyone else ever have these issues that you shouldn't have on a $30K+ brand new car ?
Is this a joke?
Old 08-07-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Fatbum
Is this a joke?
I know after seeing the G8 owners reviews on JD Power combined with all the threads on the G8 Forums about the above mentioned issues, that my friend is not alone with a huge list of New car issues.
Old 08-07-2009, 11:20 AM
Teching In

I have loved my G8 since day one. I'm sure there is always going to be some out there with issues but I have yet to experience one with mine after a year of daily driving. If I had to bitch about something it would be the cheap speakers that sound bad and vibrate the rear deck. I actually think the head unit is great given all you can do to input video etc.

Performance wise though, I've made a "few" upgrades!!
Old 08-07-2009, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Play with the equalizer on the stereo and it sounds really good. Get a tune and it will be a very strong car from a roll. Other than that, it's running strong for me. The throttle lag is my only complaint, but that will be healed with an HPT soon.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Unfortunately modifying a brand New car with a "Tune" and other such items will VOID the 5y/100k Powertrain Warranty we were told by our area GM Dealerships. (As shown here: http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605 )

The car shouldn't need "tweaking" already anyways, it is a brand New car. It should be 110% PERFECT just as is.

Having to modify a New car so that is as good as a Used car kinda defeats the purpose of buying New doesn't it ?

That would be like buying a brand New house, then having the roof leak, the doors not close smoothly, having pluming and electrical issues, and having to pay extra to get all the New things fixed so its as good as a old worn out Used house.

Is my friend the only one that feels this way ?

Last edited by KC Henry; 08-07-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fatbum
Is this a joke?
My thoughts too.

6,000 miles on this car and I love it.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:59 PM
12 Second Club

KC Henry is misinformed on a lot of things...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No,no,no
Old 08-07-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I will assume that the JD Power report provided by G8 owners is true since no one has stepped forward to disclaim all the common problems/issues that brand New G8's have that are constantly being talked about on all the G8 Forums.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:44 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by AtlasTBSS
KC Henry is misinformed on a lot of things...
Like the 10yr/100,000 mile Warranty
Old 08-07-2009, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

my only problem that i had was my hazards didnt work but i got that fixed asap. other than that it has been running good no problems maybe u should try down shifting urself if ur worried about that..
Old 08-07-2009, 06:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

3000 miles on mine and the 55mph shake comes and goes, but my newer Audi does the same thing.

Paint sucks ***, chips off the front bumper way to easy, looks like it has 30K miles on it.

Had a check engine light a couple times, P0450, gas cap probably.

No spare is dumb when there is room for a full size.

I had a 2006 Mustang GT vert, this car handles/rides better in the mountains here.

The stereo works fine for me, turned up the subwoofer and played with the EQ some, I was unimpressed with the shaker 1000 in the mustang, especially since it took up 20% of an already too small trunk.

It idles like crap cold, but so did my the TBSS this car replaced. The alternator whine is not a big deal either. Lifter tick is getting a little scary though, the thought of a dealership tech yanking the heads off a brand new car makes my head hurt.

IMO its a pretty good car for 30K, has some quirks but I dont regret buying it, its only a car and it will wear out like any other..
Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Devilish34
Like the 10yr/100,000 mile Warranty
5year, not 10 like I put. I had my head up my butt today at work, and knew it didn't look right when I typed it.

Originally Posted by black widow g8gt
my only problem that i had was my hazards didnt work but i got that fixed asap. other than that it has been running good no problems maybe u should try down shifting urself if ur worried about that..
Thank you !

Originally Posted by kp
3000 miles on mine and the 55mph shake comes and goes, but my newer Audi does the same thing.

Paint sucks ***, chips off the front bumper way to easy, looks like it has 30K miles on it.

Had a check engine light a couple times, P0450, gas cap probably.

No spare is dumb when there is room for a full size.

I had a 2006 Mustang GT vert, this car handles/rides better in the mountains here.

The stereo works fine for me, turned up the subwoofer and played with the EQ some, I was unimpressed with the shaker 1000 in the mustang, especially since it took up 20% of an already too small trunk.

It idles like crap cold, but so did my the TBSS this car replaced. The alternator whine is not a big deal either. Lifter tick is getting a little scary though, the thought of a dealership tech yanking the heads off a brand new car makes my head hurt.

IMO its a pretty good car for 30K, has some quirks but I dont regret buying it, its only a car and it will wear out like any other..
This is Exactly what I am talking about, this is the kind of info I need to pass along. Thank you !
Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

i was just at livernios performance an seen a g8 an sounded like crap could hear it ticking, very good looking car tho
Old 08-07-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

No navigation option - It's hard to recline the seats with the stupid **** instead of a normal lever - the steering wheel doesn't tilt down far enough for me and that's about it - no memory seats. I can live without them though for amazing handling and straight line performance. Especially with how sexy they look.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Regular

I didn't like the stero at first but it seems the subs needed some time to break in. They sound pretty good now. It would easily out handle a mustang. From a punch if you are in DOD mode it does take a second to downshift but you can adjust that. I turned mine off and the gas mileage is about the same maybe a mpg less.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by KC Henry

This is Exactly what I am talking about, this is the kind of info I need to pass along. Thank you !
Pass it on to who, they dont make the car anymore for US sales and pontiac is dead lol.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:54 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
6,500 miles on my car.

I do get wheel shake at 55-60mph on the highway. Not any other time.

The plastic interior panels scratch to easy. I have scuffs on my e brake handle. I don't like the "security" of the glove box.

When the car was delivered i had scuffs on the bottom of both door panels.

no oh **** handle for front pass side

the onstar navigation does show u a distance bar and some basic info but it is very cheesy for this price range of car.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the get up and go of my GXP but it isn't a fast car by all means.
I let the free month of onstar navigation expire, it was pretty useless compared to a 150.00 garmin. You can thank the government for not letting them put Navigation in but you would think if they could convert it to LH drive they could have raised the display up a few inches.

Agree on the plastic getting scuffed easy, mine had them at the bottom of the door panels when I got it too. But its no worse than my TBSS or GMC truck is - crappy GM plastic.

I'm not hating on the car, its a daily driver and a pretty cool one at that. If you want a reliable, boring car buy an Accord.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by kp
I'm not hating on the car, its a daily driver and a pretty cool one at that. If you want a reliable, boring car buy an Accord.

10-4 and Amen!!! It's just a car. If your friend dislikes it so much, then by all means, sell it. Im sure someone will pick it up quick.

EB

Quick Reply: Anyone dislike their G8 GT's ?