Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Just picked up my G8 GXP - Detailed & Paint Correction

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just picked up my G8 GXP - Detailed & Paint Correction

After swearing I would never purchase a black car due to all of the black vehicles I work on, I have my new black GXP. Unfortunately the paint was swirled up and scratched from the dealership washes etc. I picked up the car on Thursday afternoon in Louisiana and all I could think of during the drive back to California was the swirls!! I spent all of today (Saturday) polishing and sealing the paint.

Products Used
Meguiars Mild Claybar
Meguiars #105
Meguiars #21
Meguiars Foam Tire Dressing

**Disclaimer** Any pictures where the paint looks hazy or looks like holograms it is just the polish streaking as the humidity was not in my favor.

Clearcoat damage from sap

Wetsanded

Finished product

Old 09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should of avoided PBM like the plague. The metallic flake makes it look dirty all the time except at night. At extreme morning and twilight the car even looks gray when the light hits it.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:48 PM
On the tree

I dont think so, my 2006 GTO was a PBM and it looked beautiful at any time of the day from sun up to sun down.

When they are polished and detailed correctly with micro scratching kept to a minimum they look really sharp. My only complaint was the gravel dust from the oil surplus companies yard next door to my office building. My GTO would look grey or white by the time I got off of work.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it came out great!
Old 09-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Launching!

Looks good. Louisiana to California, that is quite a haul, I bet you had fun on the way back. Then knowing that when you get home the motor is already broken in.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
You should of avoided PBM like the plague. The metallic flake makes it look dirty all the time except at night. At extreme morning and twilight the car even looks gray when the light hits it.
The only reason the car would look gray is if there is a lot of car wash marring and swirl marks. My car once outside in the sun looks amazing and the metallic flakes "pop" and make the paint look even better
Old 09-30-2009, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow making wild accusations that you know everything about the car after only owning it for days and only have 2 posts and then breaking the rules by touting your business contact info in your sig?

Believe me the car doesn't look black under all sunlight conditions. Metallic flake in black paint has never been popular due to making it look dirty.

Glad to have another n00b/challenge pisser here at LS1 Tech. Check out the rules before posting. Wish I did my first week here.
Old 09-30-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wanna come back and do mine? Awesome job!
Old 09-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
wow making wild accusations that you know everything about the car after only owning it for days and only have 2 posts and then breaking the rules by touting your business contact info in your sig?

Believe me the car doesn't look black under all sunlight conditions. Metallic flake in black paint has never been popular due to making it look dirty.

Glad to have another n00b/challenge pisser here at LS1 Tech. Check out the rules before posting. Wish I did my first week here.
wild accusations? take a chill pill.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my G8 GXP - Detailed & Paint Correction