2005 C6 Corvette H/C
2004 Procharged Z06
2005 Maggie H/C CTS-V
1999 Twin Turbo C5
2006 C6 Corvette (Procharged)
2008 VW GTI c DSG
2006 C6 w forged 427
Currently I have no vehicle

So as you can see I have a thing for LS powered vehicles. I've always liked the look of the G8 but never really had the chance to drive one. Now I've been given the green light to purchase a sedan (planning for a kid in the next two years). My price range is all over the place but I have two ranges.

In the mid 40's I'm looking at - CTS-V2, ISF or C63

In the mid 20's I'm looking at - G8 GT, 335i Sedan, used CTS-V1

I'd love to slip back into something more coupe/fast (still wishing for Ron Fellow C6 Z06....but that will have to wait!).

I'm here to get your experience and overall satisfaction with the G8 GT.
What would you change or what don't you like?
Is the GXP worth considering if I plan to mod (more than likely a TVS 1900 or APS TT - I haven't researched enough yet).
When modding what are issues or problem areas that I need to be aware of?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think you will like the car, rides good, love the auto six speed, but if you could find a deal for a GXP i would go for that since your into modding it
Old 04-12-2010, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by erskine
i think you will like the car, rides good, love the auto six speed, but if you could find a deal for a GXP i would go for that since your into modding it
Thanks. If I plan to mod the G8 (wheels, supercharger, and coilovers) would it make sense to get the more expensive GXP?
Old 04-12-2010, 09:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wasn't going to hold on to the cars long I would look for older cheaper cars and not plan on modding them.

As per a pure choice, I would be biased towards a brand new CTS.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
If I wasn't going to hold on to the cars long I would look for older cheaper cars and not plan on modding them.

As per a pure choice, I would be biased towards a brand new CTS.
You mean a CTS-V right?

Either way whatever I decide WILL BE MODDED haha
Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Teching In

If you want an auto go with the GT, obviously if you want a manual the GXP is the only option. I love my g8 gt but if I could i'd get a ctsv-v2.

You will NOT be able to get a good condition GXP in the mid 20s price range.

I looked at 335i sedan as well and went with the g8 becuase of the modability and lower initial cost.

Dislikes: Paint chips very easily, stereo sucks, very quiet with stock exhaust.

Likes: Everything else, comfortable 4 door with tons of room and good power, decent gas mileage. I do sometimes wish for the bmw interior+bells and whistles but it was going to cost me 5-8k more for a comparable one.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 PM
Launching!

I love my G8 - been very happy with it so far owned a couple of months, 2 k miles.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

I Love my G8!!!

Take a look at my signature below and you will see the potential the G8 has with just a little modding done to itt!!!
Old 04-12-2010, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fiveoh
If you want an auto go with the GT, obviously if you want a manual the GXP is the only option.
My last car was a 6 speed stroker 427 C6 - fun car, but lord that thing was a PITA to sit in DC traffic in. I NEED an auto! So the G8 has that going for it.

I loved the way my 335i drove, but my heart melts when I hear the deep bass produced by a nice set of headers, a push rod V8 and a nice set of B&B Bullets.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BORN2FLY
I Love my G8!!!

Take a look at my signature below and you will see the potential the G8 has with just a little modding done to itt!!!
Very well done. I would do right off the bat a set of headers and exhaust. Then I'd have to decide if I wanted to go H/C or toss on a TVS 1900.
Old 04-13-2010, 08:16 AM
Launching!

I really love my car!!!! I'm glad it didn't sell when I tried. I had my reasons to sell it but some things changed so I couldn't be any happier with it still parked in the garage. My vote would have to be the GT with FI. What is your goal with this car? If you want a bad *** car with the bells and whistles and have a disposable income well I think the newer CTS-V will have to be your Huckleberry.

After going through your list of cars I see you like FI
Old 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike in LA
I really love my car!!!! I'm glad it didn't sell when I tried. I had my reasons to sell it but some things changed so I couldn't be any happier with it still parked in the garage. My vote would have to be the GT with FI. What is your goal with this car? If you want a bad *** car with the bells and whistles and have a disposable income well I think the newer CTS-V will have to be your Huckleberry.

Yes sir, I lovvvvve FI. Not that I'm opposed to cracking open a motor for a good H/C, but I feel I'd be pretty happy adding a few pounds of boost. The last time I had a H/C car I didn't like the surging of the cam...so it left a bad taste in my mouth.

In all reality I'm looking at a low cost sedan that will sound great, drive very smooth and scoot when I need it to. More importantly though is the sound. I don't race, street race or even drive that fast. I just love the sound of a bad *** V8 w/ a good set of headers and exhaust.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Vector is about to release a turbo kit that should be around the same price as a maggie as well.
Old 04-13-2010, 12:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fiveoh
Vector is about to release a turbo kit that should be around the same price as a maggie as well.
As much as I love the power band of a turbo setup - I'm just not a fan of all the intricacies and possible failures. (speaking from personal experience)

You have too many things that fail and/or you get a kit designed with no growth capability (APS does this all the time - then 8 months later they come out with the UPGRADED kit - imagine that!).

The one company/product I was impressed with was TTiX - but I don't even know if they are still around.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:43 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

The G8 is nice once you do the normal stuff. You can pick one up in the very low 20's some just under. Do the normal mods: long tubes, converter, cam, intake, tune, lower it and it will cruise along nicely for a sub 25k total investment.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike in LA

You know I heavily tossed around the exact same idea. Even though I am not upside down. It doesn't seem like anyone is buying them and its a good car. No sense the sell. Even though I don't care about cars as much anymore.
Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My vote is V2 CTS-V, cant get much more comfortable, throw a pulley, long tubes and tune at it and be mid 11s@120+ all day long. 6 Speed auto, recaro seats, pop up Nav etc. Like the G8 but the new V just screams luxury with a ton of muscle behind it. Plus it wont cost as much to mod to go that fast. Figure for 2500 your mid 11s and thats less loss youll take when you go to sell it. You do a cam, long tubes, converter, heads, blower youll have easy 10k in it that youll be lucky to add 3k worth of value to the car.

From your past cars it doesnt seem like your hurting for money but the V seems like the best fit.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Regular

Aren't we all always hurting for money? haha

'09 CTS-V - mid to high $40's
'08 G8 GT - mid to low $20's

Its a tough decision. You are right that the Caddy will need less overall work to make it go fast, but I'm not really after speed. Like I said, I'm more about power I can use and a bad *** sounding car.

If I can toss a nice cam in the G8 w/ some headers+exhaust and still be comfortable daily driving to work - I'm good. I don't need luxury.

To be honest, I drove a new CTS-V. Because it was soo smooth, it didn't feel "fun". Of course its fast, but it didn't have that "mean" feel.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
My vote is V2 CTS-V, cant get much more comfortable, throw a pulley, long tubes and tune at it and be mid 11s@120+ all day long. 6 Speed auto, recaro seats, pop up Nav etc. Like the G8 but the new V just screams luxury with a ton of muscle behind it. Plus it wont cost as much to mod to go that fast. Figure for 2500 your mid 11s and thats less loss youll take when you go to sell it. You do a cam, long tubes, converter, heads, blower youll have easy 10k in it that youll be lucky to add 3k worth of value to the car.

From your past cars it doesnt seem like your hurting for money but the V seems like the best fit.
You mention saving money on mods but want him to spend double on the car up front? You can run just as fast as the V for a lot less then 10k in mods to the G8.

Originally Posted by valdeztke
Aren't we all always hurting for money? haha

'09 CTS-V - mid to high $40's
'08 G8 GT - mid to low $20's

Its a tough decision. You are right that the Caddy will need less overall work to make it go fast, but I'm not really after speed. Like I said, I'm more about power I can use and a bad *** sounding car.

If I can toss a nice cam in the G8 w/ some headers+exhaust and still be comfortable daily driving to work - I'm good. I don't need luxury.

To be honest, I drove a new CTS-V. Because it was soo smooth, it didn't feel "fun". Of course its fast, but it didn't have that "mean" feel.
If you don't need absolute luxury then the G8 is a deal for $20k. I don't have a ton of money into my G8 and it runs 11's all day.

Since your local you could check out my car sometime if you want.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
You mention saving money on mods but want him to spend double on the car up front? You can run just as fast as the V for a lot less then 10k in mods to the G8.

If you don't need absolute luxury then the G8 is a deal for $20k. I don't have a ton of money into my G8 and it runs 11's all day.

Since your local you could check out my car sometime if you want.
Thanks man! Maybe I'll do that. I saw on the G8 board someone local had a White Hot G8 w/ Axis wheels, cam, headers and it sold for $23,000!!! I didn't even know about G8 Forum until it was too late

Quick Reply: Thinking G8 GT - Please share your opinion