Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 GT vs. LS6 Cts-V (Reliability)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G8 GT vs. LS6 Cts-V (Reliability)

Okay guys here is the situation. I am looking to sell my 2001 Z28 and pick up something a little more practical. I graduated last year and am working now, I was going to keep my Z28 and pick up a dd, but I always have wanted a vette, so down the road I am shooting for that.

In the mean time I need something until then, I still need something with some ***** and it comes down to these two. (GM for life)

I am looking for past experience from past/present owners of these two cars.

{LS6 CTSV compared to the G8 GT}

I am not concerned one bit about performance but I am concerned about what car is better in the long run in terms of things breaking down.

I used to have a 2004 GTO and got rid of the car with 39k on it because of front suspension bushing issues, the radio was crapping out on me, power seats were failing. It was not a pleasant experience that I DO not want to repeat.

The G8 does worry me considering my past experience with Australian cars but I have never owned a G8 so I am open to all suggestions.

My main concern with the two cars is: (Transmission longevity (G8) suspension issues, electronical issues, navigation issues (CTSV) Brembo brake replacement (CTSV) and every little thing in between.

PLEASE tell of any serious design flaws that plague either of these cars, this is what I would like to know and hopefully at the end of our discussion I can choose one of them...

Thank you all in advance, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input.

I dont want to have to buy a STi lol
Old 06-05-2012, 10:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

no one
Old 06-05-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt settle for the 5.7 V, id go LS2 or bust. power may be the same, but there is no replacement for displacement and in the end, the ls2 is a newer, better engine.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks man, it does make more sense

As far as the G8, does anyone have experience with these cars as they get higher in mileage?

Any past issues: Suspension, electronics, power/heated seats, stereo?? Any info would help greatly
Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 PM
On The Tree

Skip the sunroof if you can, otherwise no complaints.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a whole ton of problems with our "certified" 09 GT with 21k on the clock. its all sorted out now, but holy **** was it a huge PITA with drawn out fights between us, the dealer, and gm.

the G8 is a very nice car, but buyer beware, parts are hard to come by, repairs get expensive, and the front end is prone to the LCA problems.

to me, as far as G8's go, GXP or bust. so much more right off the bat, and so many less problems
Old 06-06-2012, 09:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnbell2
Skip the sunroof if you can, otherwise no complaints.
What were your issues with the sunroof? How was the stereo, I had a GTO with the Blaupunkt stereo and hated it

Originally Posted by Tainted
I had a whole ton of problems with our "certified" 09 GT with 21k on the clock. its all sorted out now, but holy **** was it a huge PITA with drawn out fights between us, the dealer, and gm.

the G8 is a very nice car, but buyer beware, parts are hard to come by, repairs get expensive, and the front end is prone to the LCA problems.

to me, as far as G8's go, GXP or bust. so much more right off the bat, and so many less problems
What are the big differences with the GXP besides the LS3.

How is the 6 speed auto transmission and rear diff on the G8 Gt?
Old 06-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dad has a 09 GT with 70,000 on it and the only issues he had with it was the common lower control arm issue. My buddy works service at a GM delaership and he said GM revised the design of the control arms and 30k later no new issues with them. My dad is not kind to is G8 ither, runs 87 octane in it and just changes the oil every 5-6k. So I think its a great car.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
What were your issues with the sunroof? How was the stereo, I had a GTO with the Blaupunkt stereo and hated it

What are the big differences with the GXP besides the LS3.

How is the 6 speed auto transmission and rear diff on the G8 Gt?
GXp has LS3 vs the 6.0 L76 in the GT, and NO AFM (huge plus, and a $2000 project to remove)

brembos all around (not a simple swap over either)

Beefier rear end

Better suspension

6 speed auto and manual are the same in both cars
Old 06-06-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have a G8 GT with 53000 miles on it and they replaced the lower control arms at 20000 miles and they are still ok. Other than that I had no other problems with it, its the best car I ever owned and highly recommend it.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Mine has 46,000 on the clock and is daily driven, rain, snow, or shine. I've had to replace the lower control arms (warranty,) and also had to get new lifters (warranty.)

It is a very solid, reliable car. The only major dislike I have, is the stupid DoD (displacement on demand) system it has. I had DoD fully disabled in my tune, and it's had no impact on my fuel mileage. Actually, since doing headers/exhaust/intake, then getting dyno tuned, the car gets better mileage than it did stock.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
I have a G8 GT with 53000 miles on it and they replaced the lower control arms at 20000 miles and they are still ok. Other than that I had no other problems with it, its the best car I ever owned and highly recommend it.
Originally Posted by LSnights09
Mine has 46,000 on the clock and is daily driven, rain, snow, or shine. I've had to replace the lower control arms (warranty,) and also had to get new lifters (warranty.)

It is a very solid, reliable car. The only major dislike I have, is the stupid DoD (displacement on demand) system it has. I had DoD fully disabled in my tune, and it's had no impact on my fuel mileage. Actually, since doing headers/exhaust/intake, then getting dyno tuned, the car gets better mileage than it did stock.
Thanks for the input gents, how do you like the stereo, enough power?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Launching!

I personally like the V alot more then the G8. I got the V because I wanted to be back in a 6 speed and the G8 was starting to bore me, seemed to rattle alot more than any other car I've had and mine only had 50,000 miles on it, and paint is extra thin on these cars every week I had a new rock chip.
The V has a better feel everything seems to flow well and it tends to get a few more looks then the G8 did. The G8 has the V beat as far as space goes so if you carry alot of people around I would go G8 I'm 6'3" and could have someone that was 6"7" sit behind me in the G8 but the V someone at 6' isnt to comfortable sitting behind me. The V's have a few problems Motor mounts go out quick, radiator leak and the rear end isnt worth a **** most people have the motor mounts and radiator fixed under warranty.

If I could do it all over I would have bought the V before the G8 cause I like it alot more. Both are great cars cant go wrong with either of them
Old 06-06-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The stereo cranks pretty loud and sounds good once you tweak the bass & treble and turn up the gain on the sub amp. I like the MP3 disc playback since I can load up 6 discs with about 100 songs on each one and have over 500 songs to listen to without swapping CD's.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 09 g8, i've driven CTS-v's as well. I decided on the G8 as it was a tad bigger and newer than the years of CTS-v's that I could afford.

I've had no issues so far. They do not have navigation so no issue there. A driving factor is the resale value of the G8, There are many owners selling their low to mid mileage G8 GT and GXP for near the price they paid for it. Some owners who got a great deal have almost made a profit owning it. I could turn around and make about 2k on mine, but its not for sale. lol.

Suspension issues. By now most if not all G8's have had the faulty LCA's replaced under warranty with the new part. There was a gas cap and air bag recall, most should of had that done as well. The transmission has left a lot of people disappointed but its strictly a factory tuning issue in my opinion, I took care of mine with hp tuners. I love it now.

Edit: Its true I got more attention in the V. A lot of people have no idea what a G8 is, but that causes it to get some looks as well.

Last edited by SmokingWS6; 06-06-2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSnights09

How does yours do in the snow? This problem with St. Louis is every time is snows it mixes in with ice or its barley freezing when it snows, melts and then turns to ice. No car is good on ice and I don't trust the people around me. I decided to keep my truck for beater work unless I need the cash.

I 2nd your opinion on DOD, I can go 75mph down the highway with DOD active or 85, which is too fast for DOD and get the same average MPG.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

I call DOD "disappointment on demand", it's gone. Useless in hill country.

Snow and ice: get a beater. Not because the G8 can't handle it (it can), but because the idiots around you can't handle it and you'll end up getting hit.

Most G8 owners are approaching the inflection point where selling their G8 and getting a nice used '09 CTS-V is not a huge cost but is a huge upgrade. I fall in that camp. Would not look at a gen1 V as a result.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tainted
brembos all around (not a simple swap over either)
Front Brembos only.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

I like it. I'm not a huge stereo guy on the other hand though. I listen to hip hop, rock, metal, etc, with the volume way up, and it's loud enough for me.

Originally Posted by SmokingWS6
How does yours do in the snow? This problem with St. Louis is every time is snows it mixes in with ice or its barley freezing when it snows, melts and then turns to ice. No car is good on ice and I don't trust the people around me. I decided to keep my truck for beater work unless I need the cash.

I 2nd your opinion on DOD, I can go 75mph down the highway with DOD active or 85, which is too fast for DOD and get the same average MPG.
Best vehicle I've ever driven in the snow. I have a set of Blizzaks for the winter months, and it's gotten me through some serious winter storms without a problem. Traction/stability control actually works in these cars (unlike many.) Combine that with good driving, and you'll be fine.

Probably will end up getting a beater for this winter. I'm getting sick of swapping wheels every winter/spring
Old 06-07-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Mine has 104,500 on the clock. By tomorrow 105k, and no issues. Love my g8!!
And that's with kooks mid length headers with HFC, 3.27 diff., and thumpr cam 219/233 553/536 114 lsa

Last edited by 8UALIVE; 06-07-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Quick Reply: G8 GT vs. LS6 Cts-V (Reliability)