Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

LSX into NON-GT

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LSX into NON-GT

**Im sure no one has torn into these enough to have done this swap before or often, but Im looking to do it**

Anyone have any input on what would need to be changed to drop an LS based motor into a NON-GT G8? My wife has an 09 G8 and I LOVE the car, but I need more power and have extensive experience messing with LS cars. Physically its obviously a viable option…. Electrically it should be, with perhaps some creative engineering to make gauges etc work should I run a different Motor/Trans/PCM than would come stock.

My thoughts are to find a Motor/Trans/PCM combo from a GT….

OR… Build an Iron 6.0 and back it with a 4L60 or 80 and run an F-Body PCM to control all of it (leaving me with the task of making gauges work)

OR…Built an Iron 6.0 and back it with a full manual valve-body 4L80 (thereby eliminating the need to control the tranny through PCM)

I know there will be plenty who say "Just buy a GT"… however this is the car I have and would like to work with it. People swap entire LS setups into everything under the sun so why not into a base G8?

Anyone know:

K-Member/Motor mounts? (Same or different?)

Radiator? Different I assume?

Trans mount? (Is the Auto that comes in a GT different length than a 4L60 or 80?...) Would like to go dimensionally close….
Old 10-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Staging Lane

Default Non GT G8

I've seen this question asked on G8 forums and most say it's just to much money to do the mod.

Far less money and headaches to just trade it in on a GT.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G8RAM
I've seen this question asked on G8 forums and most say it's just to much money to do the mod.

Far less money and headaches to just trade it in on a GT.
ahhh but wheres the satisfaction in that? LOL
Old 10-25-2012, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would imagine the motor and trans will bolt right up with the right motor mounts and crossmember. The rear end if different though, it's not a posi like the GT has.

Quick Reply: LSX into NON-GT