Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Front end shake

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end shake

My wife and I own a 2008 G8 GT wich is her daily driver and im having an issue with the front end. Less than a year ago the dealer replaced the lower ball joints because it got a rattle in the front when going over a bump or something rough. That seemed to take care of all the noise untill now. When going around a sharp curve to the right it will make a slight clunking sound from the passenger side front end and u can feel a slight shake in the steering wheel when this happens. Ive also noticed that when goin slow (through a parking lot or something) that i can hear a wierd noise coming from that front passenger side. Ive had the wheel off a couple times and inspected everything but I cant seem to figure it out. I was wondering if any of you have experienced anything like this ? any help is greatly appreciated...
Old 11-27-2012, 02:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had to replace the front control arms on mine when i first put it on the road after the build. they looked fine, but the bushings were falling apart inside. wither that and/or a strut mount, strut??? they are known to beat those up too. i need one myself for a rattle clunk over minimal road imperfections on the right side.
Old 12-12-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

I just saw a vid on how to install a poly bushing in the control arm...maybe itll fix your problem...
Old 12-12-2012, 08:25 PM

Mine has developed play in the steering wheel. I believe it's the ball joint issue, but haven't checked it yet.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:55 PM
Staging Lane

thanks for the info guys.. they ended up replacing the smaller lower control arm and that fixed the problem.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine had minor shake/vibration in the wheel at certain speeds. I drove it that way for the entire warranty period before I sold it. It's a very common issue with the design of these cars and the GTO before it. The upcoming Chevrolet version will probably have it as well unless it was addressed.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

God help you. I could never get rid of it even before the 7K mile mark where GM is supposed to guarantee the suspension and alignment. This is def one of the major reasons I got rid of my car.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:49 PM
Staging Lane

I hate the fact that the front end problems are going to always be there. We really like the car and enjoy driving it. I read a lil bit on the new Chevy SS and from what i understand its going to have pretty much the same suspension as the G8. Maybe they will fix all the flaws in them....
Old 04-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Teching In

I bought the Pedders front LCA repair kit for my wife's G8 for Christmas and she says she's noticed a difference since we had them installed. Just be warned that they ain't exactly cheap (about $1500 installed) and it takes a while to get them (mine took four months to come in).
Old 04-12-2013, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by widopn
I hate the fact that the front end problems are going to always be there. We really like the car and enjoy driving it. I read a lil bit on the new Chevy SS and from what i understand its going to have pretty much the same suspension as the G8. Maybe they will fix all the flaws in them....
It's the nature of the beast. Mine was there but didn't warrant repeated trips to the dealership and the hassle associated with it. I had two 2006 GTOs as well, the last one I had shook a bit worse and it was one of the reasons I sold it.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by widopn
I hate the fact that the front end problems are going to always be there. We really like the car and enjoy driving it.
Hopefully it's fixed for good. Ours has around 26k on it and has never had any shaking, clunking, or other front end misbehavior. My point is, it's not like every one of these cars has this problem.

Quick Reply: Front end shake