Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8/SS versus Used CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
The SS is to much. Full sized sedan only car i would pick over the V would be a 392 charger or 300.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

Old 12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
TECH Veteran

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...-392-hemi.html

I'm not the only one whose noticed the Holden is trimmed and put together as well or better than a Caddy.

Also, the 392 Charger lost.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

The build of the Holden is better than the caddy. But those prices of the Superbee are off. You can buy one for under 40k off the floor new. The SS is huge step up for Gm and hope they sell so we can see a 6spd and the new lt1 in it. But untill then i think the 392 charger is the car to have. Maybe its because i own one lol. But i love mine.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

In all honesty, the SS is more a sudo luxury sedan over the G8 and just a tad bellow the 2009-2014 CTS-V's. I've been a fan of Holden vehicles ever since I vacationed in Australia some years ago. I had the same quandary over which car would suit my needs but I ultimately went with the V2.

The SS is such a great car I seriously considered getting one. I test drove a V sedan and wagon at the LA autoshow some years ago and I couldn't get that drive out of my head. At that time the V was about $30k out of my price range. Prices on V's have drop to affordable levels to where I can stay married if I bought one. I know I got a killer deal on my V2 right off the showroom floor.

Beware... once you drive a supercharged car it's hard to go back to naturally aspirated!
Old 12-28-2013, 12:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sub-par
I'm planning on ordering a SS and replacing my G8 once the mark ups disappear. I'm going to get both options and hopefully find a black or red one local and not have to wait for it.

Marc has the right idea for those who won't be paying cash for their cars. Financing restrictions guided me to the G8. While I had the credit to get a new car I didn't have cash to back it up. Things are shifting to the positive now, and in about three months I'll be going after a SS. The debate I'm having with myself is to keep the warranty intact on the SS and keep the G8 to build up, or just build the SS. We shall see.
I know its a drive man, but the dealer here in El Paso, TX that I just picked up my PBM SS from today has a Red Hot one sitting in the show room. Not only are they not marking them up but after they came down to almost invoice the final price on mine was more than reasonable. Also traded in my 06 CTS-V to get it. I am more than happy with the car. Fact of the matter is that they made a performance sedan that filled a gap in the market. Sure many people dont like it, mostly G8 owners who are upset that their cars are no longer the only GM performance sedan with decent mileage and doesnt cost over 40k to buy used. Now the G8 GT/GXP owners cant ask an arm and a leg for their used cars because there is no need to go pay $35k for a used G8 GXP when I can buy the same care brand new with better electronics for a shade over $40k after my trade in. Sorry G8 guys but your cars just depreciated......
Old 12-28-2013, 08:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by firehawk238
Now the G8 GT/GXP owners cant ask an arm and a leg for their used cars because there is no need to go pay $35k for a used G8 GXP when I can buy the same care brand new with better electronics for a shade over $40k after my trade in. Sorry G8 guys but your cars just depreciated......
This is exactly why I cashed out my G8 GXP.

I knew the SS was coming and I heard through a connected friend in MI that it was going to be an immense improvement over the G8. So I got the big money for it before the refreshed Commodore and SS version was even revealed..

My GXP was a great car for several years but the uncomfortable seats, weird omissions like power seatbacks and lights in the console/glove box and lack of real features like nav and factory HIDs made it an easy decision.

I didn't think I was going to buy a new GM car again after this but I have a lot of earnings on my GM Card towards one. I've purchased every Holden GM has sold on these shores new (except for the Caprice) and love them. The more I look at the SS the more I really like it.
Old 01-01-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my G8GT, but I would go to the V. I'd do it now but I will not sell the G8 or the other cars.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:49 AM
Teching In

I know its a drive man, but the dealer here in El Paso, TX that I just picked up my PBM SS from today has a Red Hot one sitting in the show room. Not only are they not marking them up but after they came down to almost invoice the final price on mine was more than reasonable. Also traded in my 06 CTS-V to get it. I am more than happy with the car. Fact of the matter is that they made a performance sedan that filled a gap in the market. Sure many people dont like it, mostly G8 owners who are upset that their cars are no longer the only GM performance sedan with decent mileage and doesnt cost over 40k to buy used. Now the G8 GT/GXP owners cant ask an arm and a leg for their used cars because there is no need to go pay $35k for a used G8 GXP when I can buy the same care brand new with better electronics for a shade over $40k after my trade in. Sorry G8 guys but your cars just depreciated......
I'll agree if we're talking about GXPs. The GTs can be had all day for around $20K, which is less than half the cost of an SS. You would have to introduce to some folks that would be willing spend an extra $25,000 on a new car when used one is fairly close in comparison. If one were to buy a GT for 20K and throw $15K in the performance aspect, you will easily out perform the SS and GXPs. I'm not saying the price will start dropping (one must admit they've held their value quite well to date) in the future, just not immediately. I haven't seen a single SS in a dealer or on the road in my area yet.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

I hope the bottom does drop out on the GT's and GXP's. I'd have no issue getting rid of one of the F bodies and picking up another one.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield
https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...-392-hemi.html

I'm not the only one whose noticed the Holden is trimmed and put together as well or better than a Caddy.

Also, the 392 Charger lost.
V1 or V2? Have much experience with a V2? I have a V2 and a G8 GXP. The V's interior eclipses the G8's kangaroo leather, not very adjustable seats and oddly textured dash in quality. The Vs are also put together at least as well. The G8 has more road noise. The G8 is a relatively quiet car but the V has it beat. Not to mentioned the G8 already blew some speakers while the V hasn't had the issue. Let's talk about the soft paint that was used on the G8 that scratches/chips easily, and has been pitted by bird crap. The V is an 09 also, is driven in the same conditions, has had bird crap on it, but has held up much better. Then there are the crappy fog lights on the G8 that melt. Not a problem with the V. And you mentioned handling earlier? There is no way the GXP out handles a V2. Both of my cars have they same Conti DW tires. The V handles better and rides better even in sport mode. As for the comment about problems from the rear forward, the V2 does very well. People hit the stock rear and trans with 600+ hp without issues. They also don't wheel hop like a G8. There are many running well in the 10's on the stock long block. I'll be making over 600whp on mine before too long.

The only things my G8 has on the V is interior space, simplicity, fuel milage, wheels are easier to clean, brake pads are cheaper, and it's a manual (which isn't an advantage in drag racing).

I also don't see the GXP price dropping too terribly much. I think the low production numbers will insulate them like it did with Terminator cobras. Plus the SS isn't getting the new lt1 so there is no drivetrain difference. It won't be like the LT1 f body market when ls1 was introduced. Don't get me wrong I think prices will lower, but I doubt the bottom will drop out. I bought my cars to drive and enjoy, not for an investment.

As for the OP. I'll mirror what others have said. Go V unless you need the interior space or just want new with a warranty. There are people that just have to have the "next best thing."
Old 01-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
V1 or V2? Have much experience with a V2? I have a V2 and a G8 GXP. The V's interior eclipses the G8's kangaroo leather, not very adjustable seats and oddly textured dash in quality. The Vs are also put together at least as well. The G8 has more road noise. The G8 is a relatively quiet car but the V has it beat. Not to mentioned the G8 already blew some speakers while the V hasn't had the issue. Let's talk about the soft paint that was used on the G8 that scratches/chips easily, and has been pitted by bird crap. The V is an 09 also, is driven in the same conditions, has had bird crap on it, but has held up much better. Then there are the crappy fog lights on the G8 that melt. Not a problem with the V. And you mentioned handling earlier? There is no way the GXP out handles a V2. Both of my cars have they same Conti DW tires. The V handles better and rides better even in sport mode. As for the comment about problems from the rear forward, the V2 does very well. People hit the stock rear and trans with 600+ hp without issues. They also don't wheel hop like a G8. There are many running well in the 10's on the stock long block. I'll be making over 600whp on mine before too long.

The only things my G8 has on the V is interior space, simplicity, fuel milage, wheels are easier to clean, brake pads are cheaper, and it's a manual (which isn't an advantage in drag racing).

I also don't see the GXP price dropping too terribly much. I think the low production numbers will insulate them like it did with Terminator cobras. Plus the SS isn't getting the new lt1 so there is no drivetrain difference. It won't be like the LT1 f body market when ls1 was introduced. Don't get me wrong I think prices will lower, but I doubt the bottom will drop out. I bought my cars to drive and enjoy, not for an investment.

As for the OP. I'll mirror what others have said. Go V unless you need the interior space or just want new with a warranty. There are people that just have to have the "next best thing."
you sir, nailed it on the head
Old 01-22-2014, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sure many people dont like it, mostly G8 owners who are upset that their cars are no longer the only GM performance sedan with decent mileage and doesnt cost over 40k to buy used. Now the G8 GT/GXP owners cant ask an arm and a leg for their used cars because there is no need to go pay $35k for a used G8 GXP when I can buy the same care brand new with better electronics for a shade over $40k after my trade in. Sorry G8 guys but your cars just depreciated......
The SS won't effect the price of used G8's since it's way over priced for the average person so the demand will still be there for used G8's which will keep the prices up. Chevy won't sell that many SS's at $46K plus so they will heavily discount them like they did back in 2009 when there were 10's of thousands of unsold G8's sitting on the lots. Anyone that is hoping for a manual SS is dreaming because the car will never sell well for the price they are asking for them.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM

IMO a used V. Get one with under 50k miles and less than 4 years from purchase. Drive it for 2-3k miles to make sure nothing is wrong, and let the fun begin!

New here from Houston, TX.

I am currently making 676 RWHP on my completely stock motor (with the exception of injectors). My only mods are porting, pulleys, and bolt ons. No power adders other than my stock supercharger. My PB is 10.64 in the 1/4 with a 1.54 sixty foot.

I truly enjoy my V and surprise a lot of people when I hit the gas....
Old 02-13-2014, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

The Caddy is one ugly car to look at...looks like my 10yrs old designed it...
Old 02-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikesanto70
I think its overpriced by 10k, your not that much further from a Base C7 manual w/ a Z51 pkg, and you can buy a Camaro SS w/ the 1LE pkg. for WAY less $$$. and for that matter you can go get a 14' 5.0 Mustang auto for $30k, throw a $6k Whipple/Roush charger on it and 4:10s and your pullin 10's @ over 130 mph on drag radials through the stock exhaust. The bottom line is you just have to want it and like it, if your looking to go fast, the options above are way better, but to cruise in comfort and have enough car to smoke Highway Patrol when/should the need arise, it'll work just fine!!
So how can five adults fit in a corvette, mustang or camaro? Lol you've put up a very silly arguement saying that a corvette or a camaro can ever be a substitute to a comfortable full sized sedan.

If you really want to go fast for cheap then a new corvette or mustang or camaro would be the worst thing you can do. There's plenty of very fast older modified cars around for a fraction of the price of a new vette.

Also, you may not know this but the new chevy ss sits on a better and newer zeta 2 chassis than the new camaro. Chevy never stripped zeta down and rebuilt the chassis up again adding lighter and stronger components, whereas Holden did.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by RedHotG8
The SS won't effect the price of used G8's since it's way over priced for the average person so the demand will still be there for used G8's which will keep the prices up. Chevy won't sell that many SS's at $46K plus so they will heavily discount them like they did back in 2009 when there were 10's of thousands of unsold G8's sitting on the lots. Anyone that is hoping for a manual SS is dreaming because the car will never sell well for the price they are asking for them.
The ss wil be harder and harder to find, an instant classic. Holden is already ramping down faster than gm anticipated, with many top holden employees jumping ship to other industries or to premium german manufacturers. You wont see much discounting going on for the SS, where as you will see a ton for the new cadillacs.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed

All well and good but the ve chassis gxp you have will be much cheaper than the cts-v, and also the ve chassis is much better than the sigma. You just haven't tried the performance versions like the w427, hsv gts and the vxr8 bathurst .

The vf chassis or zeta 2 is again much much much better than the ve zeta 1. So you really cant base it on you car. The zeta 2 is so much better that its actually able to beat amg's and bmw's dynamically but also on all the other stuff. Holdeb and hsv actually had to take out quite a bit of sound deadening near the firewall area because the car was amazingly quiet.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by monaroCountry
The ss wil be harder and harder to find, an instant classic. Holden is already ramping down faster than gm anticipated, with many top holden employees jumping ship to other industries or to premium german manufacturers. You wont see much discounting going on for the SS, where as you will see a ton for the new cadillacs.
So if the SS doesn't sell for the inflated price (and they won't) they are going to let them sit on the lot forever?
Old 02-15-2014, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SleeperV
IMO a used V. Get one with under 50k miles and less than 4 years from purchase. Drive it for 2-3k miles to make sure nothing is wrong, and let the fun begin!

New here from Houston, TX.

I am currently making 676 RWHP on my completely stock motor (with the exception of injectors). My only mods are porting, pulleys, and bolt ons. No power adders other than my stock supercharger. My PB is 10.64 in the 1/4 with a 1.54 sixty foot.

I truly enjoy my V and surprise a lot of people when I hit the gas....
Impressive Power for having a "stock" camshaft......

Quick Reply: G8/SS versus Used CTS-V