Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8/SS versus Used CTS-V

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 12:08 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default G8/SS versus Used CTS-V

So, the new SS is basically the old G8 reborn under the Chevy badge. Basically.

This guy brought up an interesting point though. Since it is pretty much a new G8 (without the option of a stick), what's stopping people from just picking up an old CTS-V? I mean clearly there's going to be part of the market who needs to have things brand spanking new, but if you're looking for a full-size sedan with an LS... Why not go with a used one? They can be had for about the same price as a new SS and are much nicer.

What do you think? New SS or used CTS-V?
Old 12-23-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

New SS, can't really camapre them to a G8 GT, what was a GXP going for back then like low $40s wasn't it?
Old 12-23-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SS is basically a new GXP with upgraded "technology" - mostly electronics.

I think the price is on par considering the starting price of a G8 GXP was $39,995 in 2009. A handful of years of inflation later and an updated stereo/nav/mylink, etc etc unit - seems reasonable.

To answer your question regarding why not V over SS? The only logical thought I could think is warranty and for the average Joe, the option of 72 month and now some banks offering 84 month loans on new vehicles bringing the payments down within reason. Most banks only offer up to 60 months for 09 V's and 66 months for 10-11 V's.

Just my guess - I could be completely wrong.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

CTS-V is a badass car BUT the SS/GXP is much larger on the inside. I know multiple people that went from a G8 to a CTS-V only to wish they didn't make the switch since its small.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by my bandit
CTS-V is a badass car BUT the SS/GXP is much larger on the inside. I know multiple people that went from a G8 to a CTS-V only to wish they didn't make the switch since its small.
This. The g8 is larger inside. If your not worried about that, get yourself a V.
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 PM
Teching In

What I can't figure is why it gets worse gas mileage than a Silverado?
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by imflyn
What I can't figure is why it gets worse gas mileage than a Silverado?
What does, the g8 or the V? My g8 gets 25 highway hand calculated with the heavy camaro 20's. I used to get 26.7 hand calculated with the stock 19's.
Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Teching In

I'm planning on ordering a SS and replacing my G8 once the mark ups disappear. I'm going to get both options and hopefully find a black or red one local and not have to wait for it.

Marc has the right idea for those who won't be paying cash for their cars. Financing restrictions guided me to the G8. While I had the credit to get a new car I didn't have cash to back it up. Things are shifting to the positive now, and in about three months I'll be going after a SS. The debate I'm having with myself is to keep the warranty intact on the SS and keep the G8 to build up, or just build the SS. We shall see.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sub-par
I'm planning on ordering a SS and replacing my G8 once the mark ups disappear. I'm going to get both options and hopefully find a black or red one local and not have to wait for it.

Marc has the right idea for those who won't be paying cash for their cars. Financing restrictions guided me to the G8. While I had the credit to get a new car I didn't have cash to back it up. Things are shifting to the positive now, and in about three months I'll be going after a SS. The debate I'm having with myself is to keep the warranty intact on the SS and keep the G8 to build up, or just build the SS. We shall see.
dealers down in Miami have had SS sitting since they got them, don't see them selling anytime soon when for almost the same price you can order the new stingray.
Old 12-24-2013, 08:39 AM
Teching In

CTS-V all the way, easy to mod and still a luxury four door sedan. Mine has 630 rwhp and ran 10.7 @ 128 and is my daily driver even in Michigan Winters. Drop some blizzaks and go!
Old 12-24-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Seeing an SS in person is really disappointing compared to the G8 GT/G8 GXP. G8s were such sharp looking sedans. SS is just "meh, ok" in comparison.

I wonder if these cars will be plagued with the same front suspension issues as G8s
Old 12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by my bandit
The reason you would buy a nice used G8 or new SS over a used LSA CTS-V is simple, the Vs are pretty much fast junk.

The Holden cars are much better engineered as well, you noticed it with the packaging. The CTS-V is a massive car with a tiny interior of questionable design and quality. The Aussies know how to make a car feel when you're handling it too, they are very natural, very Euro compared to the CTS-V which feels more like a rickety hot rod. Most of them have had issues from the diffs forward as well.

I had a G8 GXP I bought new that I sold last year. I put nearly 40k on it and the car wore quite well. No squeaks, rattles, air or water leaks. Seat leather is durable and no warranty issues to boot. Most LSA CTS-Vs I see used appear pretty beat, even with low mileage on them. Even if they weren't I wouldn't touch one, the Holdens are simply better cars and cost less.

The Super Sport takes the G8 GXP and addresses every feature and interior material/design shortcoming that car had. I got some seat time in an SS last August and was blown away on how much they improved it without fully redesigning the car.

Once the SS has been out awhile it is going to become one of the very best new car deals of the decade, similar to the G8 and GTO before it.
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 PM
Teching In

I have 54,000 miles on mine with zero issues. We have guys running 9's on stock auto trans. We also have tons of guys that moved from G8 to the V and say the exact opposite of what you say. The V is a much better, more luxurious, easier to modify car.

We will have to agree to disagree.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TriShield
The reason you would buy a nice used G8 or new SS over a used LSA CTS-V is simple, the Vs are pretty much fast junk.

The Holden cars are much better engineered as well, you noticed it with the packaging. The CTS-V is a massive car with a tiny interior of questionable design and quality. The Aussies know how to make a car feel when you're handling it too, they are very natural, very Euro compared to the CTS-V which feels more like a rickety hot rod. Most of them have had issues from the diffs forward as well.

I had a G8 GXP I bought new that I sold last year. I put nearly 40k on it and the car wore quite well. No squeaks, rattles, air or water leaks. Seat leather is durable and no warranty issues to boot. Most LSA CTS-Vs I see used appear pretty beat, even with low mileage on them. Even if they weren't I wouldn't touch one, the Holdens are simply better cars and cost less.

The Super Sport takes the G8 GXP and addresses every feature and interior material/design shortcoming that car had. I got some seat time in an SS last August and was blown away on how much they improved it without fully redesigning the car.

Once the SS has been out awhile it is going to become one of the very best new car deals of the decade, similar to the G8 and GTO before it.
you must be talking about the older cts-v, the 09+ LSA I have driven are a dream and the interior is quality
Old 12-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Teching In

I sat in the new SS the other day at the dealership, the car has some great interior quality, leaps and bounds better than the G8.

Unfortunately, the car doesn't spark my interest at because there is no manual available.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:39 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Seeing an SS in person is really disappointing compared to the G8 GT/G8 GXP. G8s were such sharp looking sedans. SS is just "meh, ok" in comparison.
Yep. No doubt the SS electronics and interior are far superior to the G8. But the G8 is very good-looking and the SS is ugly. That simple.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go CTS-V because of the manual tranny. I'd take a G8 over both of them though.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 218 Likes on 136 Posts

The SS is to much. Full sized sedan only car i would pick over the V would be a 392 charger or 300.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:54 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OneSlowV
The SS is to much. Full sized sedan only car i would pick over the V would be a 392 charger or 300.
Those who can afford it and must have brand new, the as will work well. The rest of us who must get used, will find much better deals on better looking cars, the charger u mention is the perfect example=
Old 12-26-2013, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

I think its overpriced by 10k, your not that much further from a Base C7 manual w/ a Z51 pkg, and you can buy a Camaro SS w/ the 1LE pkg. for WAY less $$$. and for that matter you can go get a 14' 5.0 Mustang auto for $30k, throw a $6k Whipple/Roush charger on it and 4:10s and your pullin 10's @ over 130 mph on drag radials through the stock exhaust. The bottom line is you just have to want it and like it, if your looking to go fast, the options above are way better, but to cruise in comfort and have enough car to smoke Highway Patrol when/should the need arise, it'll work just fine!!

Quick Reply: G8/SS versus Used CTS-V