Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Salvage title G8 GT?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Salvage title G8 GT?

Simply put, ive been looking for a G8 for a while now and while I’m still youngish and not rolling in dough it’s been hard to find one that’s in my price range and doesn’t have 150k+ on it.

Very recently a G8 has gone for sale at a second rate dealership for $12k with 90k miles on it but with a salvage title. Now I haven’t seen it in person but a salesman I spoke to said the car was rear ended but it has since been repaired and the Carfax claims no structural damage.

My question now is it even worth my time driving over an hour to see this car? Assuming all is well with the car it would be a steal at $12k and also I know these Australian cars have hard to find body panels these days which could make the insurance company totaling a low damage accident plausible. I guess some input from you guys would be appreciated.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:11 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Carfax is worthless my friend., don;t be fooled by that, look under the car yourself or bring someone who knows what to look for.
Old 09-01-2018, 09:14 AM
Teching In

I’m not basing the condition purely off the carfax. However the fact that it was rear ended and claims no structural damage is good indication that the frame wasn’t harmed. I just want to know if it’s feasible that just body damage alone could have totaled this car, seeing as how old and scarce parts can be.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you located? I keep an eye out for them as well, just saw a very nice (high mileage) one in ATL for $8k
Old 09-01-2018, 05:47 PM
Teching In

This one was in Elmhurst Illinois. I got it for a pretty solid price at 11k. I called the body shop that did the work to it and all they replaced was the rear bumper. Trunk lines up perfectly. The only visible damage to the car was the left muffler sits maybe one inch lower than the right side which isn’t noticeable unless your almost laying down. Overall I think it was a steal.