Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

GTO to G8, who's done it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GTO to G8, who's done it?

Well my GTO is totaled, Im in the process of looking for a replacement. The G8 is definitely on the short list of cars Im interested in. My question is who has gone directly from a GTO to a G8, any regrets? Overall impression between the two cars? Ill throw one last curveball and ask why should I go G8 over a used Vette?

Obviously a vette will be faster and a G8 the better DD, anything else Im missing? Also a quick search shows that prices for G8 parts seem to be cheaper then for the GTO and Vette parts higher.
Old 09-12-2015, 07:29 AM
Teching In

I have just recently I bought my wife a 09 with 53k on it then sold my GTO that was cammed with goddies. the G8 is stock with full exhaust intake and tune with dod turned off . My gto had 450 rwhp so it was fun, so when I initially started driving the g8 I thought it would be slow but to be honest it picks up very good I enjoy it so does my wife. Have 4 doors and the potential to be just as fast as my GTO which is going to happened when I get back home from my deployment. Im not a big vet guy so I cant say anything about that. I love the G8 I miss my GTO but not as much since I have the g8 now.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:18 PM
Teching In

I had a 2005 GTO and loved it. But it is a 2 pass. car really. My 2009 G8 GT is great. The GTO's are cheaper but hard to find. G8 GT's are $ right now. Usually 16+ for a good one. Vettes? Not at that price.

As a drivers only car I like both. GTO is my choice but that just may be me. However my G8 is a great car and i love it too.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

I've never owned a (modern) GTO but I have driven several and a few differences stand out to me. The GTO feels more like a musclecar, and the G8 like a sports sedan. In spite of being heavier, the G8 has a lighter, more nimble feel. The GTO is hunkered down and rumbling.

I like the GTO front seats and the overall "muscle" feel of the car. But driving them didn't convince me that the car had a lot more to offer than my Formulas enough to buy one. I position the GTO in between LS1 f-bodies and V8 G8's.

The G8 is of course a much more practical car with 4 doors, a very roomy back seat, and a large trunk.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We own one of each.

GTO is fun for a night on the town.

G8 is great for family and trips.

One is muscle, one less so.

But, I really wish I could have the GTO seats in the G8.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Teching In

I just did this move myself, due to a totaled GTO. Overall I'm happy, but the G8 sits higher and has more driver visibility issues than the GTO (ha, thought you'd never read that did you?), but maybe it's just my short stature.

Stock, the 6-speed feels mushier than the 4-speed in the GTO, and the AFM sounds weird, and with an aftermarket axle-back AWFUL. Going to get some tires, a tune and a mid muffler to see if I can correct some issues.

Stock brakes appear just as shitty as the GTO's. Definitely on my list of upgrades to do. But I'm happy with my choice.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Launching!

I went from an 05 M6 GTO to an 09 G8GT (with a WRX inbetween for about a year) and I like the GTO more than the G8.
The manual trans could have played a big part, but I just enjoyed driving the GTO a lot more.
I did replace a bunch of bushings on the GTO and have replaced none on the G8 but the GTO was more fun to drive, was faster, and felt like I could throw it all over the place sliding around corners and stuff where the G8 sort of wants to go straight.

Both cars had/have Cold air intake and cat backs.

The G8 is a much better family type car though (which is why I got it) and has a massive trunk. The GTO had a tiny trunk and was a pain for people to get into the back seat.
In the G8 you can easily fit 4 200lb guys comfortably.

If I didn't have kid(s) then I would go for a GTO over a G8.

With kids I think the G8 GT is pretty much the perfect DD for $20k or less.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Launching!

I used to own a 2004 GTO, bone stock. Had it for a few years, really liked it, super comfortable... When the G8 came out, I really wanted one, but when Pontiac shut down that kind of put a quick end that that dream temporarily.

Not exactly a Vette, but I bought a 2010 Camaro SS in 2010, and currently still have it. It was great at first, but after a while it's lack of visibility, comfort, and space started to **** me off. Yeah it was fun, but it wasn't especially useful for anything.

I picked up an 08 G8 GT this past Feb, and since then the Camaro has literally just sat. I've put maybe 1-2k miles on it since I got the G8, and most of that being while the G8 was down for a cam install and DOD delete.

I recently picked up another 04 GTO (just to part out), but I did drive it and aside from the seats, it did not make me miss the GTO at all.

I absolutely love the G8. I wish it was a manual transmission sometimes (both my GTO's were Autos, the Camaro is a manual), but it's comfortable, I can see out of it, the extra space is very useful, and I wouldn't trade it for anything at the moment... Except maybe a 2015 Chevy SS with a stick, but I don't have the wallet for that.

Good luck with your search.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

^^The previous two posts are spot on, IMO. Learn from their experience, decide what criteria matter most to you, and go for it.

I have friends who swear that the G8 A6 can be tuned to shift very satisfactorily. I haven't gotten into that, as my wife drives it mostly.

I didn't like the transmission performance on my A4 Firebird when I first got it. Tuning, shift kit, gears and hi-stall converters changed all that. Word is that tuning alone on the G8 A6 makes a big difference.
Old 10-20-2015, 05:47 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
^^The previous two posts are spot on, IMO. Learn from their experience, decide what criteria matter most to you, and go for it.

I have friends who swear that the G8 A6 can be tuned to shift very satisfactorily. I haven't gotten into that, as my wife drives it mostly.

I didn't like the transmission performance on my A4 Firebird when I first got it. Tuning, shift kit, gears and hi-stall converters changed all that. Word is that tuning alone on the G8 A6 makes a big difference.
The G8 comes loaded with all of the good stuff, but is hampered by GM family-formance design.

Replace the dinky cam with something that lets the L92 heads breathe, ditch the DOD, and performance and reliability will step up considerably.

The automatic transmission can be quick and precise, but it has to be tuned by someone who knows how. GM tuned them really soft and quirky.

Chris Henry, at chenry motorsports has dialed these in. His mail order tune, on top of a cam, will make the G8 a totally different car.

Quick Reply: GTO to G8, who's done it?