Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Long term Fit and Finish

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long term Fit and Finish

Hello folks, long time lurker, first time poster! Looking hard at the G8 and wanted to get your input on long term fit and finish.

I really dislike when a car's interior starts making all sorts of clunks and creaks, painted plastic rubs off, and the interior generally falls to pieces after a relatively short time. For example, my 10 year old Nissan Titan was all out of sorts after a mere 80k miles. Any kind of liquid stained the seats. Carpet completely wore down. Wind found it's way in like nobody's business. Everything jiggled. Don't get me wrong, it ran like a champ and did everything I needed, in fact, I loved the truck. The interior just didn't hold up with mild use. On the other hand, I my 12 year old Lexus SC felt and looked brand inside after 150k.

So, how's the G8 after 7-8 years?
Old 01-11-2016, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

75k miles on the wife's gxp.
Driver's seat has a squeak. Door speakers blew. Material of the driver side door handle on the interior panel is coming undone. Silver paint on steering wheel is rubbing off. The car's paint is soft compared to the V. It scratches and chips easier and bird crap etched into the clear more than once. No issues with that on my car and they are both 09, mine has 65k miles. Strut mount issue like the gto's had.

Other than that...... Not going to say anymore incase gremlins are reading.....
Old 01-13-2016, 07:41 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the heads up. Given that the manual gxps run pretty close to a v2 ctsv, I'll probably go that route.
Old 02-22-2016, 11:40 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife's GT has a couple small things, strut mounts and swaybar links. But at 116k, I consider those maintenance. I did have to fix the hazard switch (easy), but that's about it. I'd like to get the seats restuffed, they have become fairly hard (only had the car since 85k, just over 2 years). Love it otherwise.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:50 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

113k on mine. No issues with the interior other than I just had a squeak start within the last 1000 miles from the panel that houses the headlight switch. A little felt tape should do the trick -- I just haven't got around to taking care of it.

Nothing rubbed off, nothing banging around, nothing falling apart. Solid car all around, but of course has it's quirks (strut mounts, door lock actuators, and front control arms which are now covered to 120k miles from GM).
Old 03-15-2016, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Headliner...
Old 03-19-2016, 07:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Ours only has 44k on it. I found out early that the interior plastics scuff and scratch up really easily. The leather starts to get hard with sun exposure, but Leatherique cured that. Otherwise, no squeaks, rattles or cabin noise, which is a radical departure from f-body experience. My DD Firebird has 143k, and the interior looks as good or better than the G8, but cabin noise is my constant friend.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:21 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub-par
Headliner...

Yes the headliner.

Quick Reply: Long term Fit and Finish