Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

New member, seeking purchase advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, seeking purchase advice

Hey everyone pleasure to make your acquaintance. As the title states I'm new around here and just barely joined the forum today

I am in the market for a 2008-2009 (09 preferred) G8 GT. I have looked everywhere but all the cars in my state either have real high mileage or out of my budget

However recently as of this week a White 2009 GT (my favorite color) has gone up for sale at a local dealer in my town. I test drove the vehicle and absolutely LOVED it. The dealer is asking for $15,999 and I got excited because that's in my budget. I'm trying to keep it under $17k so this was good for me especially since I didn't have to travel anywhere again lol.

Now here's the problem though... This car seems to be in great shape BUT the miles are really really high . 121k miles to be exact Do you guys think this would be a good buy if I decide to buy the car ? The dealer is open to negotiation and I'm sure I can drop it a grand at least. What do you guys think? Should I go for it or leave it??...
Old 01-12-2016, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Sounds high to me IMO I payed 18 for mine with 53,000 miles a year ago.Check out Pontiac G8 classifieds on face book. You can find a way better deal.

Also know these are known for lifter failure. Also there are only two options for aftermarket radios. Just a little bit of info. Google G8 forums and you can find out almost anything about these cars.

Good luck and hope you get what you want! Patience is key.....
Old 01-13-2016, 09:54 AM
Teching In

If you're willing to travel, check out autotrader and the G8 classifieds, there's deals out there. I suggest keeping an eye on the for sale sections of the various g8 boards also.

IMHO If you do go higher mileage, find one with the DOD crap removed already.

As for aftermarket radios, there's technically more then two options, you can do the Android radio or get the G8 Designs install kit and install any double din aftermarket unit you want. What does suck is either path is expensive.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, I've decided to not get the one with high miles on it. Instead I'm gonna be traveling about 300 miles out to go and check out a nice silver one I found with 89k miles. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Thanks
Old 01-13-2016, 02:54 PM
Teching In

Find out what work it's had done to it, by now, it should have needed strut mounts, possibly control arms (though GM has extended the warranty to 120,000 miles/10 years on those) and I'm always wary of high mileage cars with the original DOD lifters in them. I know a local guy that bought one with around 80k on it, he had a lifter let go shortly afterwards.

Quick Reply: New member, seeking purchase advice