Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Looking into buying a g8 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking into buying a g8 GT

So my 99HOSS caught fire 2 days ago RIP, and I found an 08 G8 GT I'm interested in. is there anything I should look for on a test drive? any known issues? would like to be prepared when I go look at it.

Thanks guys
Old 08-03-2016, 09:42 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Sorry about your SS

Clunking or looseness in the front end, steering wheel shake, shift flare.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:05 AM
On The Tree

what normally causes the looseness in the front end and the shift flares? are the expensive to fix?
Old 08-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Good thing is whatever you find can be fixed around the same price as your old Camaro. Depending on the mileage I would look for suspension feel, rear end clunk, shift flare like said b4, starting issues, inside liners, radiator fan, and tire wear.

Like I said all can be easily fixed. These cars respond very well to mods, but remember the weight difference between your Camaro and the G8 is noticeable. Mod for mod wont get the same performance so be aware of that going in. If its stock you could expect high 13s in the 1/4th at around 104mph. Add cam, headers, cat back, milled heads, 2800 stall, 3.27 gears and tune will net you low 12s at around 114-116mph. Add bigger stall, ported intake, and ported heads and you would be in the 11s all day. As you know you do those same mods to a auto Camaro SS you would be in the 10s. Huge weight difference.

HOWEVER, we are talking about a 4 door sedan. If you get it in the 12s you are doing good. Get it into the 11s and you will **** off a lot of Mustang owners. I didn't even mention adding nitrous. My neighbor has a 2009 G8 GT with all the above mods I mentioned plus a 100 progressive shot and he runs 11.2s at 125mph. That's a 4 door performing in a straight line like Porsche 911TTs, Vipers, ZR1s, and GTRs for a fraction of the cost.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Okay, I made the long drive to Orlando, and drove the G8 home. Ran like a champ. here are things I have noticed so far.

#1) if the car is cold, and I start it up and put it into drive, the car has to "think" for a second then it goes into drive rather hard, not terribly hard, but definetly harder than when its warmed up. I'm assuming its from the higher idle speed when cold?

#2) the steering wheel shakes while braking, and has a very small shake around 70mph. any thoughs on this? I was hoping a brake job with new rotors would cure this. Maybe a bent wheel?

Other than those two things the car seems to run fine, all other things are minor like i need a fog light bulb and a few other minor cosmetic stuff.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

i say brakes and road force balance the tires
Old 08-08-2016, 02:17 PM
On The Tree

yeah the tires look to be around 50% tread left, I'll probably just put some new ones on soon.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:16 PM
Pontiacerator

I think you're right about the higher idle and the harsh drop into gear. Our car even shifts a little weird the first couple of shifts driving away. After that, it's fine - by "fine" I mean the way it's supposed to shift stock, which I intensely dislike.

If I ever start driving this car regularly, tranny tuning will be my first priority.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

If you start hearing any noises from the front end like creaking/groaning.... Start with replacing the swaybar end links... I thought it was the upper strut mounts, but many on other boards mention the swaybar links.... I installed the MOOG units, all the noise went away. Greaseable units they are also
Old 08-10-2016, 07:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by michakaveli
If you start hearing any noises from the front end like creaking/groaning.... Start with replacing the swaybar end links... I thought it was the upper strut mounts, but many on other boards mention the swaybar links.... I installed the MOOG units, all the noise went away. Greaseable units they are also
Thanks for the tip, as of right now she quiet as can be.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I think you're right about the higher idle and the harsh drop into gear. Our car even shifts a little weird the first couple of shifts driving away. After that, it's fine - by "fine" I mean the way it's supposed to shift stock, which I intensely dislike.

If I ever start driving this car regularly, tranny tuning will be my first priority.
Mine shifts a bit weird for the first couple of shifts also. So mine seems to be the exact same as yours. whether thats good news or not, lets hope for the best lol.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

two other things I have noticed that seems out of whack, is again only when the car is cold and I'm driving along, when i come to a stop just before getting to a complete stop, the car will jump a little, meaning it surges forward and the RPM's jump a few hundred. it will only normally do this once by then the car is warmed up and it has never done it after being warmed up. I'm starting to think the G8's just finicky when cold lol.

The second one is one that happens all the time not just when cold, if i give her WOT when i let off, the transmission makes a "Clunk", definetely doesn't seem like it should do that, its almost like there is slack there. For reference, imagine you go from reverse to drive but accidentally give it like 100 RPM's before hit engages drive. thats the type of clunk I'm talking about. Could this just be a tuning issue? maybe low trans fluid?
Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We just bought my wife a g8. We had to do the strut mounts. We replaced them with the white line bushings and bearings. Had to do sway bar end links to. While I was there I installed koni adjustables. No more rattling/clunking from the front
Old 08-11-2016, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

I'm going to take my G8 to the dealership this weekend, I know of 2 recalls that have not been done to the car yet, so I'm going to have them do those, and also tell them about the noise in the steering wheel and the steering wheel shake at 50+ mph, I know the ball joint problem has a warranty for 120K miles or 10 years, so that should be cover if it's the problem.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:35 PM
Pontiacerator

That steering wheel shake has been a problem for many G8 owners. Thankfully we haven't had the issue with our car.

Hopefully the dealer will cooperate with chasing it down. They are usually happy to do warranty work and bill the factory
Old 08-15-2016, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

yeah lets hope so, didn't get around to taking the car to the dealership this past weekend. I'm out of town in Tampa for work all this week. So when i get home friday I will see about taking it up there. hopefully they replace the ball joints since those are under warranty till 120K miles or 10 years.
Old 08-26-2016, 09:50 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You mentioned a clunk. When I went to 3.27s and upgraded to new bushings I started getting a clunk from time to time. I checked and nothing is lose and in my case it just appears to be the way the new bushings work per reading other post from others after the same modifications. So maybe the previous owner changed the bushings.

As for the other things you mentioned I would check to see if the cars tune has been modified. I don't know if you have HPT. You can easily find a stock file and compare.

Last edited by VINCE; 08-26-2016 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Added more information after rereading OP

Quick Reply: Looking into buying a g8 GT