Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

G8 engine

Old 02-18-2007, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G8 engine

I was just wondering why they are giving the GT model the 6.0 LS2 engine, but only at 362 hp instead of 400 like the GTO.

Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question.
Old 02-18-2007, 08:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

i guess its not the LS2 but instead an new L76
Old 02-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Teching In

Oh:/ good call. Why would they devolp a new engine instead of sticking with the LS2 though? Lol or am I just totally missing something here.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:23 PM
Teching In

Lol nvm, I just googled the L76, and saw that the L76 was originally Holden's version of the 6.0. I still don't understand why they would stop using the LS2 though.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

From what i've read the L76 is very similar to the LS2. The L76 motor uses the New L92 heads, L76 composite intake manifold, and a baby cam( moves the required fuel from 93 to 87 octane). It's said to have DOD, so cam choices are limited without removing the system. Being so that it already has L92 heads, a nice size cam should net some serious power. Can't wait to see more about this engine and G8 it'll be in.
Old 02-18-2007, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mssingkid
From what i've read the L76 is very similar to the LS2. The L76 motor uses the New L92 heads, L76 composite intake manifold, and a baby cam( moves the required fuel from 93 to 87 octane). It's said to have DOD, so cam choices are limited without removing the system. Being so that it already has L92 heads, a nice size cam should net some serious power. Can't wait to see more about this engine and G8 it'll be in.
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. You'll be able to get rid of DOD to increase the cam size though, if you wished, right?
Old 02-18-2007, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The L76 is the AFM version of the L98 which powers the Holden Commodore.
The LS2 goes away after MY2008, so it's not used bacasue they don't want to change engines after 1 model year.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HPcrazy
Ah, thanks for clearing that up. You'll be able to get rid of DOD to increase the cam size though, if you wished, right?
Yes you can, if i remember correctly the DOD system uses special lifters and a solenoid that lifts the lifters off the cam lobe. Then it just cuts off fuel and spark to those cylinders to run in 4 cylinder mode. I'm pretty sure you'd want to change the lifters and all other related items to the system.(So you'd have to pull the heads) I believe HPTuners now has an option for DOD delete in their software, so no codes
Old 02-19-2007, 07:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
The L76 is the AFM version of the L98 which powers the Holden Commodore.
The LS2 goes away after MY2008, so it's not used bacasue they don't want to change engines after 1 model year.

Guess they learned their lesson after the 04 GTO fiasco.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mssingkid
Yes you can, if i remember correctly the DOD system uses special lifters and a solenoid that lifts the lifters off the cam lobe. Then it just cuts off fuel and spark to those cylinders to run in 4 cylinder mode. I'm pretty sure you'd want to change the lifters and all other related items to the system.(So you'd have to pull the heads) I believe HPTuners now has an option for DOD delete in their software, so no codes
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to research on a car to buy in the near future and the G8 seemed to be right in my price range with everything I wanted. I'm just trying to get all the information I can.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

I barely saw a pic today on the newspaper and it's going to be a sweet looking car.... I'll look into this vehicle myself! gl
Old 02-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Just another thought, would they think of putting the the 6.2 L 450 hp engine that's been rumored around into this car as the GXP?
Old 02-19-2007, 05:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

someone said something about the gxp having the ls7. Not counting on it, or anything else, till i see it at the dealership. But i think itd be bad ***. I think itd be pretty cool to have DOD why would you want to turn it off? or delete it? Do you think that will be necessary to have a bigger cam? I would think the aftermarket would come out with something that works around the DOD so you can keep it yet still run a larger cam. I guess well have to wait and see.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:46 PM
TECH Addict

Just another thought, would they think of putting the the 6.2 L 450 hp engine that's been rumored around into this car as the GXP?
I would be a fan of that idea.
Give us the HSV GTS looks (brakes/wheels/lowered) and the LS3 powerplant, and that would make a bad *** G8 GXP!
Old 02-20-2007, 02:24 AM
Teching In

I would be a fan of that idea.
Give us the HSV GTS looks (brakes/wheels/lowered) and the LS3 powerplant, and that would make a bad *** G8 GXP!
Haha, that's what I was thinking. I just hope they don't do what they did with the GTO, and not place the top dog model out until a year or two after production has started. That's why I'm not so positive they'll stick the LS3 in the car if they haven't clamed to do it yet. But he we all can wish.
Old 02-20-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Why can't they just have a DoD on and off button like for traction control. That way you do not have the sound of a V4 at a red light when you do not want to!!!

W
Old 02-20-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Haha, that's what I was thinking. I just hope they don't do what they did with the GTO, and not place the top dog model out until a year or two after production has started. That's why I'm not so positive they'll stick the LS3 in the car if they haven't clamed to do it yet. But he we all can wish.
Well, waiting a year or two for the top model is actually better marketing as it keeps the car fresh.
If a G8 GXP like that were to happen, it wouldn't come till the 2nd or 3rd year of production.
I wonder what the chances of it actually happening is....
Old 02-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WECIV
Why can't they just have a DoD on and off button like for traction control. That way you do not have the sound of a V4 at a red light when you do not want to!!!

W
That would actually make a lot of sence. So you know when you have it in V8 or V4 mode, and so you don't get caught in V4 if you don't want to.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Well, waiting a year or two for the top model is actually better marketing as it keeps the car fresh.
If a G8 GXP like that were to happen, it wouldn't come till the 2nd or 3rd year of production.
I wonder what the chances of it actually happening is....
Yeah, I understand that, but its like with the GTO, some owners got upset when they realized a better version was coming out a year after they bought theirs, with the price not really increasing. But if they are gonig to make it I would suspect that it wouldn't be produced until the Camaro came out.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Essentially its a musclecar. Swap the cam, heads if you're feeling spendy, and you're over 400 BHP with a tune. Sick.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: G8 engine