Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

New Holden Commodore Sportwagon = Pontiac G8 Sportwagon

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up New Holden Commodore Sportwagon = Pontiac G8 Sportwagon

With Chrysler euthanizing the Magnum R/T after it's life cycle they practically give the entire market to Pontiac. Pontiac also gains a five-door muscle car to replace their dead minivan and soon-to-disappear Torrent SUV.

Holden's New Sportwagon Puts Excitement Back Into Practicality

Sleek new sporty look for popular wagon

GM Holden's sleek new VE Commodore Sportwagon made its world debut today at the Australian International Motor Show in Sydney.

The new family vehicle takes VE Commodore's award-winning sporty design and engineering advances and integrates them into a stylish and practical wagon.

The result is a desirable and functional addition to the VE range, offering a new level of comfort, safety and styling in a Holden wagon.

GM Holden Chairman and Managing Director Chris Gubbey said, "The new VE Commodore Sportwagon puts the excitement back into practicality. This is a car for families with a 'get-up-and-go' attitude.

"The generous interior space, combined with sleeker, sportier styling, makes this a wagon that people will want to own as a year-round family car, or for family and business use.

"Holden's new VE Sportwagon turns practi-'cal' into practi-'cool'," said Gubbey.

The VE Commodore Sportwagon unveiled in Sydney today is a production-based concept vehicle. It is the first glimpse of the planned production model scheduled to hit Holden showrooms in the first half of 2008.

The vehicle draws on VE sedan at the front with a sleek and sporty silhouette at the back and is built on the same VE wheelbase. It is the third VE derivative after sedan and the newly released ute range.

Features

At the rear, Holden's designers have cleverly created a wider opening by positioning the tailgate hinge well forward into the roof line. This has created a more vertical opening movement for the tailgate and reduces opening space required around the car.

The higher cargo floor makes loading easier and a flexible cargo cover provides extra security for items stored in the back.

VE Sportwagon seats five adults in comfort and a 60:40 split in the rear seating row can be folded flat for storing larger items.

The motor show display model includes a roof mounted DVD player, Bluetooth capability, multi-function driver information display system and zone-based front and rear park assist systems - all currently standard on the VE Calais V-Series sedan. Features on the vehicle unique to the motor show include 20-inch alloy wheels, chrome window trim and unique interior colour combination.

VE Commodore Sportwagon's pricing, model line-up and powertrain combinations will be confirmed closer to the on-sale date, but expect to see a similar type of strategy to VE sedan, with entry level cars, sports models and luxury models ranging up to the luxurious VE Calais V-Series.

Leading safety technology features such as ESP® will be standard across the range.

Holden's Executive Director Sales, Marketing and Aftersales, Alan Batey, said, "Sportwagon breaks the mould for Holden wagons. It's got great style, performance and practicality for families, businesses or both.

"Customers will get a car that's equally at home as a working tool or a desirable family car - with all the storage advantages that come with a wagon.

"We've added important safety features such as ESP® as standard, and more luxury versions will be incorporated into the range to further increase its appeal to families.

"This is a vehicle that people will desire for its looks as well as its convenience over a sedan or an SUV," he said.

Technology

The concept model on display at the Australian International Motor Show also incorporates a V8 engine featuring Active Fuel Management (AFM) and E85 flex fuel capability. Active Fuel Management allows cylinders to turn off under light load conditions to improve fuel economy.

The engine on show runs the same spark ignition, with fuelling matched to the same equivalence ratio as Holden's current production V8 engine. It is designed to match the power and torque outputs of its petrol equivalent. The use of AFM and E85 technologies in this motor show vehicle aims to highlight General Motors' capabilities in new propulsion advances.

Chris Gubbey explains, "Showcasing an E85 fuel system in this vehicle makes a powerful statement about Holden and GM's commitment to developing alternative energy sources that reduce our dependence on petroleum-based products.

"It also demonstrates that drivers of alternative fuel vehicles don't have to sacrifice performance.

"Our sister brand Saab has led the way in promoting bio fuel technology to advance the public, political and commercial debate in this area. We want to add our voice to that debate whilst simultaneously looking at ways to further reduce fuel consumption in our existing engines."

The current VE sedan range of vehicles on sale in Australia are all E10 compatible with Holden's V6 engine built in Melbourne also converted to E24 in Commodores exported to Brazil.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Holden’s VE Commodore wagon was no certainty - until its export potential emerged

US sale likely for Holden's new wagon.

By MARTON PETTENDY and BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS
16 October 2007

GM HOLDEN has confirmed that its export potential is the major reason for the VE Sportwagon’s being – and that it will have a smaller cargo area than the model it replaces.

As a result, Holden concedes the next-generation Commodore wagon, which officially broke cover at last Thursday’s Sydney motor show opening in the shape of the VE Sportwagon concept, is likely to attract fewer business buyers than the VZ Commodore wagon it replaces – a model it says was one of the world’s biggest wagons.

Ford president Tom Gorman has already stated his delight that Holden has “handed that market to us”, but Holden says that more lucrative sales to private customers, who are expected to be drawn to the lifestyle-oriented VE wagon in greater numbers than before, will more than compensate for the downturn in (less profitable per-unit) fleet sales.

If approved for US exports, the Sportwagon would follow in the footsteps of the VE Commodore SS sedan (to be badged as the Pontiac G8) and, despite reservations about slimmer profits due to the strong Aussie dollar (see separate story), the VE Ute.

“Sportwagon is next cab off the export rank,” a GMH executive told GoAuto. “The Ute is now under study and the wagon will follow it.

“The success in the US of wagons like the Dodge Magnum shows Americans have rediscovered the wagon.

“It’s smaller inside but it will gain with private sales more than what it loses in fleets sales – maybe not in terms of (sales) volume, but definitely in terms of (profit) margins. There was no money in fleet sales anyway.”

New GM Holden chairman and managing director Chris Gubbey said that while overall cargo space may be reduced, the practicality of Holden’s wagon will increase.

“To get the style it’s a matter of balance, but it still has an impressive load space.

“Obviously you’re getting something that I really do believe redefines the wagon segment. If you look at the design, with the rear opening window, the tailgate that opens to almost vertical and the higher platform for the load space – it all makes it exceedingly practical,” he said.

Speaking at the Sydney show last week, design boss Tony Stolfo said Holden is investigating all export opportunities for the vehicle. If given the green light, North America would be the wagon’s first port of call outside Australia and New Zealand.

“We’d love to see it exported,” he told GoAuto. “It has big export appeal. If you look at the (Pontiac) G8… it’s a natural.”

While he would not divulge any more details about wagon exports, Mr Stolfo did mention how many he would like to see crossing the Pacific.

“10,000 (units per annum) would be good,” he said.

Mr Stolfo indicated that there are still some legislative and governmental hurdles to overcome before final confirmation can be made of any pending export deal.

Despite it ‘being a natural’, he did reveal that a wagon version of the $1 billion-plus VE program was not an automatic certainty.

“(Initially) there was not a lot of support for it. We had to choose which (of the many VE bodystyle proposals) to run with.”

However, Holden’s big brass began to change its corporate mind once it saw early three-dimensional renderings.

“When they saw the full-sized clay model they were convinced,” he said.

Mr Stolfo said that expanding the wagon’s appeal beyond fleet buyers is central to the VE wagon using the sedan’s shorter wheelbase, rather than the long-wheelbase Statesman/Caprice structure that has been the basis of all large Holden wagons since the 1971 HQ, including the outgoing VZ Commodore wagon.

“The market is shifting,” believes Mr Stolfo. “Things like novated leasing are pushing for choice, for more aspirational vehicles. And premium wagons are big. So we need to produce a wagon with loads of functionality but with increased appeal.”

While not abandoning the traditional wagon market altogether with a shorter vehicle offering less cargo space, Holden is after the sort of lifestyle-orientated person who might consider a Mazda 6, Subaru Outback or even a BMW 5 Series wagon.

“We needed a sportier design,” he admitted.

A greater female focus was also deemed important, necessitating a more compact design that is easier to park than the last Commodore wagon.

Holden is hoping that the wagon it calls the Sportwagon will score sales from people wary of the growing global backlash against larger SUVs.

“There is a stigma associated with SUVs,” Mr Stolfo said.

“So to launch a new wagon in this timeframe is the right thing to do.

“It will attract sedan and traditional wagon buyers, and it may even pull people out of SUVs,” he added.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Holden's Commodore wagon with all-wheel drive is an export prospect to suit the American snow belt

Words - Joe Kenwright

It was a bold move for Holden to switch the direction of its Australian-designed station wagons back to the sedan's standard wheelbase (more here) for the first time since 1971*.

When the first design studies were commenced as early as 2000, the motivation was to build a sportier, more compact wagon that would supplement plans for a Captiva-style SUV wagon.

This included offering an all wheel drive performance model to take the battle to the quickest performance versions of the Subaru and Audi wagons. Despite these plans to offer an all wheel drive version, the new Sportwagon was never intended to support an Adventra-style high rider model.

Not even Holden could have anticipated the rapid rise in petrol prices since these early plans. However, the changes motivated by the decision to develop a sporty new Commodore wagon that was sleeker, lighter and more agile also happened to reduce fuel consumption.

The emphasis has since quickly moved to exploit the new Sportwagon as an alternative to a heavier, less slippery five seater SUV hence the emphasis on green fuels and future fuel saving measures in this week's AIMS concept car.

Because the extra weight of the planned all wheel drive option no longer fits in with this revised positioning, it is not on the agenda for next year's launch. Yet the Sportwagon has been developed to exploit a sophisticated all wheel drive system if and when a market requires it.

While all wheel drive is no longer a big asset in this style of vehicle in a local context, if it ever was, this doesn't stop Holden from building such a version as an export model.

This would also leave the door open for a special HSV version that would revive the positioning of the Coupe4 in the absence of a Monaro but very different to the almost forgotten HSV Avalanche wagon.

HSV officials were tight-lipped when asked whether they intended to offer an HSV version of the Sportwagon. If HSV exports continue to grow in Europe and expand to include the US, an HSV high-performance AWD version of the Sportwagon would start to add up.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Here's the Sportwagon SS, this would be our G8 GT wagon.

I would buy it over the G8 sedan in a heartbeat.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

it looks good for a wagon...kinda reminds me of the bmw and mercedes wagons
Old 11-01-2007, 04:38 AM
Staging Lane

the ss is where its at, calais's for the lazy bastard
Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Now that's one sweet "family hauler"!!!
LOOKOUT S4/6 "Estate" Avants, etc.!!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

that car looks tight as hell...
Old 11-01-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, but I think of station wagons as just minivan wannabes. Ok so there are some soccer moms out there that could use one, but when you call a station wagon a "sport wagon". Your just in denial.

It does looks like a Merc wagon though I agree, and when I see those Merc wagons, I'm like: "You spent $40,000 and you got what?"

Ugly POS
Old 11-02-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

While I like the looks of the wagon (I would still prefer the sedan), I just hope GM is not a day late and a dollar short. What I mean is that I hope everyone that would be interested in a vehicle like this has not already purchased a Magnum. This sort of reminds me of the PT Cruiser. For a while there Chrysler could not build enough of them and they sold like crazy, but by the time GM came out with the HHR, all of that desire to purchase a vehicle like that was gone.
Old 11-03-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
While I like the looks of the wagon (I would still prefer the sedan), I just hope GM is not a day late and a dollar short. What I mean is that I hope everyone that would be interested in a vehicle like this has not already purchased a Magnum. This sort of reminds me of the PT Cruiser. For a while there Chrysler could not build enough of them and they sold like crazy, but by the time GM came out with the HHR, all of that desire to purchase a vehicle like that was gone.
That's like saying GM shouldn't bother with the Camaro because everyone already bought a Mustang.

The Magnum is done and people who own them will have nothing to trade them for in two to three years. The oldest Magnums were available in 2004 and that time is coming right up. It also means Pontiac won't be selling Chevrolet SUVS and crappy minivans to customers who need people movers.

Plus, the HHR is a hit and good seller for GM. They proved Chrysler should have invested in completely redesigning the PT instead of letting it whither. There is a sustained market for people who want fun styled, fuel efficient, versatile little cars.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriShield
That's like saying GM shouldn't bother with the Camaro because everyone already bought a Mustang.

The Magnum is done and people who own them will have nothing to trade them for in two to three years. The oldest Magnums were available in 2004 and that time is coming right up. It also means Pontiac won't be selling Chevrolet SUVS and crappy minivans to customers who need people movers.

Plus, the HHR is a hit and good seller for GM. They proved Chrysler should have invested in completely redesigning the PT instead of letting it whither. There is a sustained market for people who want fun styled, fuel efficient, versatile little cars.
For GM's sake, I hope you are right. And while I am glad they are coming out with the new Camaro, I am concerned that it might not meet the sales numbers they are hoping for also for that same reason... late arrival.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BOWTIE
For GM's sake, I hope you are right. And while I am glad they are coming out with the new Camaro, I am concerned that it might not meet the sales numbers they are hoping for also for that same reason... late arrival.
There's no way they are going to sell 100,000 Camaros but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be offering it.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ooooooooooo , gimmie a V8 spd manual and ill be a happy wagon owner

that and a ute/elcamino
Old 11-06-2007, 10:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't believe some of you people. What if someone offered you a turbocharged minivan, just because its (decently) fast, would you get one?

The Wagon looks like Holden is trying to appeal to women with the "wagon" part, and then throws in a V8 and quad exhaust for the men?

You don't compromise with sport oriented cars, its either sporty or not
Old 11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by hc8719
I don't believe some of you people. What if someone offered you a turbocharged minivan, just because its (decently) fast, would you get one?

The Wagon looks like Holden is trying to appeal to women with the "wagon" part, and then throws in a V8 and quad exhaust for the men?

You don't compromise with sport oriented cars, its either sporty or not
I'm guessing your a young guy and NOT a family man. Yes some married guys with kids are stuck with crossovers or minivans, if I had to choose between a Chrysler Pacifica and one of these......................DUH, no Brainer!
Old 11-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Teching In

YES! Just because you grow up and have a family doesn't mean you have to stop driving a fun car! Real Performance + Room for family + Good Looks =
Old 11-06-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I would have bought it.

If this was available in 2006 when we bought our 2006 GP GT w/SC, I would have seriously considered it. I checked out the Magnum with AWD because I hate way SUV's ride but I need the extra space but we went with GM because of the employee discount.

I can't wait for the Magnum's value to tank. It's going to be bye bye Jeep Cherokee, hello Magnum!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hc8719
Sorry, but I think of station wagons as just minivan wannabes.

Ugly POS
You got that backwards. SUVs and minivans are wagon wannabes. Station Wagons were here first. And with muscle car engines. Ever ridden in an Oldsmobile Cutlass Wagon with a 455??

Quick Reply: New Holden Commodore Sportwagon = Pontiac G8 Sportwagon