Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Attack of the Dumbass salesman

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Attack of the Dumbass salesman

I went to look at a white G8 (first 888) today with the wife. The last time I went to the Pontiac dealership with her was to buy a new GTO when they came out. It was a bad experience, with ridiculous markup on all the cars and the salesman constantly spouting how hot the GTO is! Of course their total lack of any real knowledge about the cars doesn't help, I hate when they read their bullet points to me like they are telling me something. As someone who used to train people in sales I will never understand why car salesman are generally the worst salesman I ever speak to. I ended up walking out of there and buying a TL for my wife instead . 3 months later they were begging me to come in for a test drive for their GTOs rotting on the lot.

Flash forward to today, we go to look at the G8. A hard sell on the wife, interior is a step down and she wants to go up, but it is sweet for the money with a big back seat. I want this car not her, but I am slowly getting her on board. We look at this white car with black interior, she is liking it. I tell the first salesman that I am here looking but I won't be buying until they sell for sticker and I am willing to wait. He goes and gets the floor manager and my wife looks at the window sticker and says "there is a 10 grand markup". I say, "don't worry its for the first 888, in a few months they will start to sell for sticker and we will look then". The floor manager leaning on the car decides to chime in and shakes his head no with this smug look on his face, and says "this car is hot as it gets, its gonna be a looong time till they sell for sticker." My wife stares at him blank and says "just like the GTO huh, well I guess thats that, lets go" and she leaves with our daughter in tow. All I could do is mouth "you're a moron" and go.

We hit the Acura dealership and what do you know, my wife loves the MDX and the salesman were as nice as you get. They actually would wait for me to talk and respond exactly how you should. So now I am looking at a much larger payment for a truck I don't really like just because a dealership keeps pissing her off. I do not question why GM is dying a slow death, their dealerships are unbelievably stupid.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Freaking morons! It is definately hard to find a good, honest, respectable salesman at a dealership. Most are goobers like you describe, once it a while you find a good one though.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

The problem with GM is they think their products are better than they are. Just like they claim the Camaro is a "better offering" and will be priced more than a Mustang even though the mustang is it's primary target.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

try a different dealership maybe? the ones around my house aren't bad at all. Actually called a guy on a G8 yesterday, seemed very professional.
Old 03-30-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gillbot
The problem with GM is they think their products are better than they are. Just like they claim the Camaro is a "better offering" and will be priced more than a Mustang even though the mustang is it's primary target.
Their products are actually becoming that good. We took a look at the Caddy SRX, CTS, the G8 and the Malibu. All are very solid cars, and finally cars I think are competitive or leaders in their class. Only problem is not everyone agrees with me, and not all their cars are great and still are sub-par. My Equinox is a good example, I have learned to hate this truck and it is basically cheap, low quality transportation. They need to learn to work for market share and stop the dealerships from trying to make a quick buck. It destroys their market! I can think of several american cars we looked at that they said were "hot" and then the car failed miserably and died. GTO, Thunderbird, Camaro SS's, firehawks and Trans Ams. The same pontiac dealership from today tried to charge over sticker for a 2002 TA when I got my SS "because they weren't making them anymore and were going to be collector items". Are you f-n kidding me, they couldn't give the cars away before and they were marking them up like they were rare. Stupidity.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blown00ls1
try a different dealership maybe? the ones around my house aren't bad at all. Actually called a guy on a G8 yesterday, seemed very professional.
We are, but I am waiting for the hype to die down on the cars so I don't have to hear any more stupidity. I can still work on my wife because the MDX has a too small back seat. She like the Caddy SRX too but I want a car not a truck. We aren't getting another new car until my LS7 is built anyway. Rolling into the dealership in that car should shut up the salesman hopefully.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:15 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My local Pontiac dealer (1 mile from me) has a white G8 "888 car" that that they are selling for sticker (which is cool)......however, its been there for 3 weeks now still unsold. I thought forsure it would have been gone in a few days!

Ironically, a buddy of mine (Mike, owner of New Era Performance) bought a new G8 three weeks ago locally......the dealer had it for 1 day. It is an "888 car" in the Ignition Orange color.

$10,000 mark up is just hilarous! They'll never get it........especially since white doesnt seem to be a highly desirable color.

Jason

Last edited by JasonShort; 03-31-2008 at 09:16 AM. Reason: spelling error :)
Old 03-31-2008, 12:59 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10k ... wtf . That is rediculous , try another dealer , it isn't GM's fault , some dealers are rediculous . I'd be more than happy to get in contact with one of our local dealers if you are interested still and let them know how it is if they don't sell to you for sticker . This is a great car and doesn't need to get ruined by retarded sales reps at certain dealers .
Old 03-31-2008, 01:41 AM
On The Tree

You know man this is the kinda **** I hate hearing. This is why American car companies aren't getting their dues. Ive had those experiences with salesman and it drives me crazy. I went to go look at a G8 and this @$$bag tries to tell me about the car like he knows it , keep in mind I know everything their is to know about this car already because at this point I have done my research, telling me it has bluetooth and navigation and XM. So I in my "Im gonna make you look like an idiot cause I know more then you tone" tell him "Really ? As far as I know this car wasnt made with navigation , XM wont be available or bluetooth untill the 2009 Model year." Then he claimed it made 400 hp 400lbs ft of tq again I bash him saying everything I know in one foul swoop " Well no it has 361 hp 385lbs ft of torque comes with a sport tronic 6 speed automatic , the hood scoops are NOT functional and uses the same basic layout of suspension as a BMW 5 series" at this point he knows he isnt going to jerk me around... so he goes gets another sales person to help me out. And you know I love this, I love going into a dealership to go look at new cars ESPECIALLY GM cars because I know the minute I walk in its a dime a dozen to walk up to a sales person that actually knows what their selling. I myself am always cought on by what GM is doing next... Im sorry but I will always buy american and no one is going to sway me otherwise. I know because I read every article I see here or GM inside and I fill myself with this information , why? because I love this buisness and what GM puts out on the market . A few years back you couldnt get me excited for any new cars they were putting out but times have changed like I tell everyone else and most of the time I show them Import doesnt ALWAYS mean more reliability you have to know what your buying what your getting for your money and so on . So for any one that has to deal with these jerk offs ... I am currently look for a job as a GM sales dealer if I move to San Antonio and believe me ....I as cocky as I sound I wont be BS'ing my customers because I want them to be informed on what they should buy. Ive said my peace man , look around find yourself a dealer thats gonna actually hear you at as to what you want and not yank your chain.
Old 03-31-2008, 01:52 AM
Launching!

Why not try buying one on ebay? Theres one for sale now! IS on buy it now for a little more then 32 thousand!
Old 03-31-2008, 03:42 AM
Teching In

"Gouging" is alive and well in parts of the USA!!

You often wonder what the salesman's reaction would be if the shoe was on the other foot!!

Mike
Old 03-31-2008, 05:33 AM
Launching!

cant wait to see what the dumbass salesman say when I drive my goat over to look at a G8
Old 03-31-2008, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

I think some cars deserve a mark up, not many but some. That being said I don't agree with 10k, I think 1k is still too much. I tried talking the fiance into getting one for herself, she has a grand am gt right now. The more threads I read that have the same stories of 5-10k mark ups and I sit and shake my head.

I sell cars for a living , Nissan's to be exact. We have a mark up on our GTR that is coming out, it's mostly to drive off little kid's that call and want more info on the car that can never afford it. Our Nismo 350z's show mark up, but to a serious buyer I never usually sell it to them for that mark up.

I wish these dealerships would quit marking up cars that really don't need it. I have heard that the differance between invoice and sticker isn't much and is why GM was able to make these cars so affordable. I guess all of us enthusiast can sit back and laugh that these *** hats are going to help the car not hit it's numbers by doing this. It's a catch 22, because if the car doesn't do well then we might not get another offering like this again.

After what happened to the GTO I'm really suprised the Pontiac dealers are still trying to gouge customers.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quality Pontiac here in ALB NM has a 888 G8 GT marked up 3500 above sticker LOL. But they do have a Red G8 GT that isn't an 888 for 960 above sticker. They are charging 960 bucks for the destination charge thats it.

Knowing quality pontiac though they'll mark it up too. They have all their solsti marked to high hell and they did the same to the Goats when they had em
Old 04-04-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

the hood scoops are NOT functional
wrong my friend....they are functional, as the do allow air to enter the engine compartment. Just because they aren't routed to the air box they way most gearheads want them to be, doesn't mean they don't serve some function.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Regular

ya I hate idiot salesmen I wanted one then drove it and they kept stating how fast it was.... and I was like its a lower TBSS lol and slower!! I m not impressed over the car tat much
Old 04-04-2008, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

How can it be slower than a trailblazer?
Old 04-06-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just curious, but it sounds as though you are walking up to the dealer. I've had a lot better luck going through the internet. It doesn't weed out all of the bs and idiots, but most of it.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Default getting mine tomorrow

I also had the experience of an idiot salesman; "400HP, 400 pounds of torque. Can't get one anywhere else. Only 5000 coming to states, etc." So I went to my other local dealer and paid sticker (actually under sticker as I got a GM friends discount.....only problem couldn't combine GMcard points). Picking up car tomorrow and can't wait!
Old 04-06-2008, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Nothing new bro, I know the OWNER of a BIG FAMILY owned chain of dealerships here in florida and his dealership treated me like ****, and when I finally got my car back from service I told them I wouldn't be back and they acted like they could give a **** really. I called "The Owner" and told him of my experience and he said he ws sorry blah blah blah, I said well I'm done with your dealership its not you its your people. I went to another local dealership and they are a local family owned network of dealers as well, I didn't know ANYBODY there and they took care of it immediately. The problem I had was the "Strut rub" on the GTO's. MOST DEALERSHIPS are like that but ONCE in a while you find one that has there **** together. Sorry it went that way for ya man.

Quick Reply: Attack of the Dumbass salesman