Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:01 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Partsguy198
So ... when is SLP making a Firehawk Mustang? A Firehawk G8 makes about as much sense as a Steeda Camaro. The name game played with cars, be it the G8 mentioned here or the SS "sticker" GM slaps on just about every Chevy model available reminds me of the Chevy Nova.
I hope you realize that the SS "sticker" is more than just a sticker, hood, spoiler and bigger wheels.

Just sayin..
Old 09-23-2008, 07:07 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

since Firehawk is a brand, can I buy some stickers and a hood for my firebird and make it a Firehawk? I know I know, it's more than just stickers and a hood, but I've already done better suspension mods than came with the ls1 Firehawks originally. I've got a better catback, a better intake lid etc. So all I need now is the appearance stuff and I'll have my very own Firehawk.

When will the stickers be available online, or can we pick them up at the Pontiac dealerships?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:09 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Saladbar
I hope you realize that the SS "sticker" is more than just a sticker, hood, spoiler and bigger wheels.

Just sayin..
That is true with the current 2008/9 lineup, but back in 1998-2002, an SS camaro had very little performance difference than a Z28. They got a catback, lid, and if you checked more boxes, some suspension mods as well. But motor wise, they were identical. I'm not blaming SLP for that since they were simply contracted by GM to build what they were allowed to.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
since Firehawk is a brand, can I buy some stickers and a hood for my firebird and make it a Firehawk? I know I know, it's more than just stickers and a hood, but I've already done better suspension mods than came with the ls1 Firehawks originally. I've got a better catback, a better intake lid etc. So all I need now is the appearance stuff and I'll have my very own Firehawk.

When will the stickers be available online, or can we pick them up at the Pontiac dealerships?
The funny...sad....pathetisad thing was when I needed a new rear decal for my Firehawk last month I called SLP and they said they didnt have anymore and my best bet was just to have a local decal shop cut them for me! Way to protect their trademark huh???
Old 09-23-2008, 07:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 97ramsst
The funny...sad....pathetisad thing was when I needed a new rear decal for my Firehawk last month I called SLP and they said they didnt have anymore and my best bet was just to have a local decal shop cut them for me! Way to protect their trademark huh???

Once the program is fully underway, you will be able to get your older style decals for the Formula and T/A Firehawk's.

Regards,

David
Old 09-23-2008, 08:02 AM
WANNABE GENIUS

I dont know. This seems more like a Plymouth Road Runner name being placed on a Volare back in the late 70s. I would have rather seen the name on a 2-door G8 if anything. But I see this as taking away the G8s individualism by giving it a name that has had a home within the Firebird fans for years. The debate between the future of the Firebird(while the Camaro is resurrected)is bitter enough without adding insult to injury by almost seeming to promote the G8 as the new Firebird. But then again Pontiac had to learn the hard way that when the GTO enthusiasts say that "an Aussi built monaro that has a GTO badge is still not a GTO" You should either listen to them or get used to slow sales.

I love the G8 and my SS but this just seems like a foreseeable blunder. Best of Luck anyway I guess!
Old 09-23-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Once the program is fully underway, you will be able to get your older style decals for the Formula and T/A Firehawk's.

Regards,

David
Older style? The new decal appears the same as the old and you should already be supporting Firehawk owners. Seriously if you have to wait for the G8 program to be underway before you can get Firehawk owners their replacement decals. That is truly BS man.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
I'm sure some aftermarket company will come out with some Firebird package. Not us, in order to create it and validate it for use on the roads and pass NHTSA and FMVSS rules - it would cost millions of dollars that would never be recouped.

-David
What about buying the rights or paying royalties to the designer of that infamous "2010 Black Trans-Am concept" that is floating around; what if you guys actually built that? You could call it "SLP Firehawk"; to me it mostly looks like different body panels and wheels. Of course you could throw on some performance upgrades; which you will already have b/c u said you WILL be supporting the new Camaro, so that right there saves $$$ with R&D.

Dude, IMO the new Camaro looks like , even AFTER seeing the GM Performance Parts body enhancements. If you built that concept Trans-Am and called it a "SLP Firehawk"; you would be everyone's hero and make a **** load of $$$$$$$$! You own the name "Firehawk" and you own the firehawk "chicken" design; that emliminates the issue with GM/Pontiac with brand usage rights; no where on the car would it say "Trans-Am" (Or Camaro, Chevy, ect), just 'Firehawk" (maybe a SLP emblem on the steering wheel, ect). Basically you're looking at the cost of designing body panels since the perfromance parts will already be there.

Last edited by Nightrydass; 09-23-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
Older style? The new decal appears the same as the old and you should already be supporting Firehawk owners. Seriously if you have to wait for the G8 program to be underway before you can get Firehawk owners their replacement decals. That is truly BS man.

I know it seems transparent because of the SLP name, but the company that produced the originals was SLP Engineering. We shut the doors of SLP after the end of the F-Body and SLP Performance parts who was a supplier to SLP Engineering carried the balance of the replacement parts as a courtesy. The new Firehawk decals are slightly different, I cannot state yet how different, but I have made a request months ago to use our OEM source to do a run of the originals for the original Firehawk's.

Regards,

David
Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps this thread will have a therapeutic effect on all of us – it will give us a place to vent frustrations and to begin the “healing process”.

Time heals all wounds, and I’m willing to bet that a few of us will warm up to the car after we see / drive it.

Who knows – maybe the use of the Firehawk name will only strengthen the value of the old f-body Hawks. The whole thing will most likely calm down to some extent, and things will look better in six months or so.

May be hard to see this now through eyes filled with rage.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wish some of these guys could grow up a little bit and be a tad bit more mature with their responses. Hoping your business tanks and all that other **** has absolutely NOTHING to do with anything.

I like the G8, I always have. I like that SLP is going to bring something to the table. I don't agree with naming it a firehawk, but it's not my decision.

I'm over it.

I just want to get some specs to see whats in the new Firehawk's blood. I also wish the new Firehawk was styled more closely to the GXP.

David, you said there will be three Firehawks based on the GXP, so will there be a GXP Firehawk or will they just feature the LS3?

Last edited by phantomzer0; 09-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Basing the project feedback solely on dealer interest is a bad move. Currently there are something like 3,000 new 2008 Corvettes still sitting on the dealer lots. Dealers had a lot of 'interest' in having Corvettes on the lot too. Now the 2009 Corvettes are showing up, and the 2008 cars haven't been sold. As we all know, the Corvette plant recently got closed for a while and they are now laying off workers there and slowing production rates.

The target buyer for this modified G8 would be the modified sedan buyer. 35-50 age range most likely. Someone who likes the appearance and performance of the regular V8 car, but wants something special. These guys do not want hood stripes and 1980's style "FIREHAWK" script logos on their cars. They want something with more than factory performance and aggressive visuals, but it should also be refined and expensive looking. This current idea looks to cheapen the appearance of the G8.

I'd rather buy a higher level G8 with some forged wheels, bigger brakes, nicer seating materials, supercharger, and some cosmetics in the currently popular carbon-fiber or brushed aluminum look. Something that looks as high class as an AMG or Brabus type build. Something that would kick the crap out of those euro cars, but look just as professional and respectable at the same time.

SLP is missing the opportunity to promote their own established company name. Instead of wasting time using "Firehawk" to promote a vehicle to a market who will probably shun the Firebird connotation completely and continue to call us mullet-boys. You could have called it simply the "SLP G8". Could have been a nice chrome or brushed logo that looked professional.

Brabus Mercedes
AMG Mercedes
RUF Porsche
M-Series BMW
RennTech Mercedes
Dinan BMW
Firehawk Pontiac????

No. Try:

SLP Pontiac
SLP Ford
SLP Dodge
etc...

SLP needs to use these builds to brand their own company name, come out with several performance editions branded "SLP Series". I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Tony, we are not basing this on dealer interest - in fact that is secondary. As for other vehicles, this is simply the first of what we'll be doing (For those who read into things, we are only doing a G8 Firehawk and Firehawk will appear on nothing else).

When we are ready to announce future vehicle programs I will make the information available here.

-Dave
Old 09-23-2008, 09:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I still feel that you are missing the boat here, as well as a huge opportunity to capture more of the BMW / Mercedes / Audi type buyers. In every single magazine and TV show story that covered the G8 GT, they compared this car to the BMW 3 and 5 series. Writers and TV personalities raved about how GM finally built a BMW level vehicle performance and quality wise, but for less money. That is a huge compliment, knowing most magazines are in bed with those upper echelon brands.

The G8 is already riding on those positive waves of being compared to BMW/Mercedes, why not enhance the car into something AMG/Dinan level instead? We already know how to make these LSX engines sing, but there is a market for higher quality G8 cars too. People like me will pay more for an "upgraded" G8 with performance and professional quality visuals. Shoot for the CTS-V market, but come in at a much lower price. THAT would be the winning ticket. No need for "Firehawk" logos on the door.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Basing the project feedback solely on dealer interest is a bad move. Currently there are something like 3,000 new 2008 Corvettes still sitting on the dealer lots. Dealers had a lot of 'interest' in having Corvettes on the lot too. Now the 2009 Corvettes are showing up, and the 2008 cars haven't been sold. As we all know, the Corvette plant recently got closed for a while and they are now laying off workers there and slowing production rates.

The target buyer for this modified G8 would be the modified sedan buyer. 35-50 age range most likely. Someone who likes the appearance and performance of the regular V8 car, but wants something special. These guys do not want hood stripes and 1980's style "FIREHAWK" script logos on their cars. They want something with more than factory performance and aggressive visuals, but it should also be refined and expensive looking. This current idea looks to cheapen the appearance of the G8.

I'd rather buy a higher level G8 with some forged wheels, bigger brakes, nicer seating materials, supercharger, and some cosmetics in the currently popular carbon-fiber or brushed aluminum look. Something that looks as high class as an AMG or Brabus type build. Something that would kick the crap out of those euro cars, but look just as professional and respectable at the same time.

SLP is missing the opportunity to promote their own established company name. Instead of wasting time using "Firehawk" to promote a vehicle to a market who will probably shun the Firebird connotation completely and continue to call us mullet-boys. You could have called it simply the "SLP G8". Could have been a nice chrome or brushed logo that looked professional.

Brabus Mercedes
AMG Mercedes
RUF Porsche
M-Series BMW
RennTech Mercedes
Dinan BMW
Firehawk Pontiac????

No. Try:

SLP Pontiac
SLP Ford
SLP Dodge
etc...

SLP needs to use these builds to brand their own company name, come out with several performance editions branded "SLP Series". I would buy one of those in a heartbeat.
Exactly, the same way that Cadillac has made a series identity with the "V" series. They didn't come up with a catchy name or revive a name from a different car built almost 10 years ago, they created a new identity simply using one letter, "V". Heck it has worked well for BWM with the "M" series, everyone knows what an "M" series means, or what a "V" series Cadillac is.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just got an email back from Pontiac...the at least SEEM interested in what we think...take the time to let them let know your opinion on the subject, good or bad.

cac@pontiac.com

1-800-222-1020
Old 09-23-2008, 09:33 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I was talking to Nine Ball on the phone last night, and we had the exact same reaction. I've thought on/off about buying a slightly used M5, and I can tell you that discrete badging, nice wheels, and a nice stance really make a G8 more attractive to me.

Dave, I would do a unique fascia, unique wheels, brushed badging, and up play SLP and downplay Firehawk. Look more to the Saleen Mustang packages, and less to the boy racer packages like the Charger has.

Man, you have me just about convinced to do my own G8 up and show you what I mean.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

tony is right on the ball with the whole name initials thing, TEN years ago the firehawk badge was cool, right now i look at it and while i respect nd love the name and tradition, the badge itself is out of date, out of stye, it is ridiculous. as we have all grown up and our tastes, income, attitude, outlook, and styles have changed drastically. this is why i even took off the ram air stickers off of my ws6, and i like ws6 now better than even trans am. Firehawk G8 completely loses any of its refinement that the g8 has established so far which will drive buyers and enthusists away.....you guys are missingthe boat big time this is 2010, not 1989.....
Old 09-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Banned

Ok I got to read the first 30 or so posts of this. I must say that I am sick to my stomach.

This is a total trashing of the name. I was actually into the G8 series, this just totally killed it for me. You can take me off the list of a possible owner. That Firehawk logo looks as out of place on that car as if you put it on a Mustang. Hell you might as well since you guys feel you can just chuck the name around and throw it on anything.

The part that really sucks is that finding a low mileage Firehawk such as Tony's (Nineball) has been a long time goal for myself. You guys have totally ruined that and what the Firehawk name meant.

Last edited by phantomzer0; 09-23-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Launching!

I think we've about beat the **** out of the dead horse here...there's nothing left, why bother going on?? NO ONE'S LISTENING. It's already a "done deal". Just let it be and when it flops we can all laugh our asses off since no one wanted to hear what we had to say.

BTW SLP, just so you know...Shelby must have caught wind of this. He's preparing the competition. There will be a Shelby Cobra Ford Fusion and Ford Focus!! WATCHOUT!! Couldn't let the name die, right??

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss