Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 01:34 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ezzlez28
Sorry Dave, but I do not believe there is a G8 coupe, GXP or otherwise. You do know that the GXP is also a sedan, don't you?
In DH's defense... He's been involved with GM for 2 decades, so he may know more than anyone. Just a thought.

Not that I believe there is a 2 door coming nor do I think anything other than the Firebird should wear the Firehawk badge.

It's one thing if it's the blown V8 version, but sharing the name with a V6...

Last edited by demonspeed; 09-22-2008 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
So a 2 door Supercharged Firehawk based off of the GXP is not a real Firehawk?

-Dave
Are you saying a 2 door GXP is going to be announced...
Old 09-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread just got interesting. I'll take a 2 door G8 with a Gen V in that sweet light blue color.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think it's absolutely rediculous to call this car Firehawk. The G3 photoshop says it all. IMO, it would've been like calling the G8 a Trans Am. Lack of imagination, desperation, name recognition, whatever the reasoning behind this, it's the wrong choice. I don't think the car will sell well anyway though.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
They aren't even building the Holden Version. Don't get your hopes up at all.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:57 PM
Teching In

SAD!! money money money just money
Firehawk is a bad *** Firebird nothing else!
Call the G8 for GR8 or something.
Whats next? Why just Pontiac Firehawk?
Maybe a Buick or a Cadillac Stretch Limo Firehawk or a Saturn no i know
what i want. A Saab 95 Firehawk.

Stefan Sweden
Firehawk for sale?
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Regular

Instead of trying to eloquently express my major disappointment with this news, I'll simply put it like this:

SLP, you've messed up.

A V6 Firehawk, wtf were you smoking?

As of late all the people jocking SLP's products are the ignorant, non car enthusiast people in the crowd simply there because its "the thing" to do. You know, the ones with zero driving skills that have to make the biggest appearance and no matter what their car is faster than yours. Guess that's your new market, eh? A bunch of G8 Firehawks with Loudmouths, here we come!

I applaud your efforts in trying to bring out these performance models for the G8, especially a supercharged version. But plain and simple, you have done the car community REAL SHADY with slapping the Firehawk nameplate on this four door two ton sedan.

I will have a never ending affinity to 4th gen SS and happy with what SLP Engineering did for them, but I sincerely hope you don't touch the 5th gen after this. Thankfully, GM seems to have taken care of the SS for the 5th gen.

Last edited by Nine Ball; 09-22-2008 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
We can only hope.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

wow, SLP, you've seriously dropped the ball on this one. Leave the car die with some dignity.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:02 PM
Launching!

So whos looking forward to a new Trans Am minivan?

haha
Old 09-22-2008, 02:05 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i can't wait for a G5 firehawk

I guess i can slap firehawk logos on my T/A, names not gonna mean much now...
Old 09-22-2008, 02:06 PM
Teching In

This is hilarious. Really. Who cares how many doors it has, it's the CLOSEST THING to a real firebird we are EVER going to get, and if they can make it go around a track quicker, I'm all for it. If you can keep it under 40 grand, and make it even faster (V8 Firehawk ) I swear I will own one in 2-3 years time. I always wanted a firehawk, because they were the top tier of LS1 performance, and now I have a chance. It may not be a birdie, but it will damn well fly.

And to those complaining about the V6 firehawk, you DO realize the V6, throwing down 260ish HP isn't exactly a slouch. And hell, Throw some turbos or superchargers and it'll scream. Ecoboost anyone? 400 from a V6 isn't a pipedream at all.

They did a CTS coupe, think of the possibilities GM knows we want one. And what maximum bob knows we want, we tend to get.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

I wonder if Dave is hinting at Camaro Firehawk? GM is doing the SS on it's own right?

I'm not feeling a G8 Firehawk either, and I didn't like the 4 door charger either.

SLP had a Ford Thunderbolt Ranger, at least the original Thuderbolt was only built for one year. I think the Firehawk name is tied to the Firebird.

As far as LS1Tech is as a focus group, well, it is a dynamic focus group and will always be. You can forecast the succes of performance products based on the vibe here.

Personally I think the GM is more of a fast Bimmer fighter, and as such the cosmetic changes should be less boy racer (not those hood stripes) and more of a high-endy tuner package.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Z28 name just got more special
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I wish you the best of luck and hope you guys pull through this storm US automakers are going through. I'm sure the halt in production of the camaro and firebird hurt business at SLP, but it's good to see that you guys didn't close your doors.

I wish I had known more about Firehawks when I ordered my T/A, but my dealership pushed me away from them for unknown reasons to me at the time. I hadn't been on a car message board yet back in June of 2000, but wish I had pushed.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Personally I think the GM(G8?) is more of a fast Bimmer fighter, and as such the cosmetic changes should be less boy racer (not those hood stripes) and more of a high-endy tuner package.
Ding, ding, ding.

3 series, M3. 5 series, M5. C class, C63. E class, E63. Etc. Firehawk G8? I think not in the same crowd. Go take a look at Brabus, RENNtech, AMG, ///M. VIP style upgraded performance, I highly doubt that type of buyer would be interested in an American riced out black hood sedan.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:19 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mega
Really. Who cares how many doors it has, it's the CLOSEST THING to a real firebird we are EVER going to get.
Wrong. The 2010 Camaro will be the "closest thing to a Firebird that we are ever going to get". SLP could have become an overnight hero with the LSX world had they announced that they will be converting new Camaros over to a Firebird looking package. Think about it, a "Firehawk" based on the new Camaro. Simple nose swap to a 1st gen Firebird theme, some different wheels and emblems, maybe a ram air hood. THAT would have rocked, and been worthy of the Firehawk name.

Someone mentioned Chargers, Daytonas' etc... but keep in mind those were actual vehicle models. Models have always changed. "Firehawk" was a special edition of the Firebird, not a model. It is similar to special upper-tier models like ZL-1, ZR-1, Z06, ACR, Cobra, GT500, etc...

Would you buy a Chevy Aveo Z06? Do you think Corvette owners would get pissed about that name?

Ding, ding, ding.

3 series, M3. 5 series, M5. C class, C63. E class, E63. Etc. Firehawk G8? I think not in the same crowd. Go take a look at Brabus, RENNtech, AMG, ///M. VIP style upgraded performance, I highly doubt that type of buyer would be interested in an American riced out black hood sedan.
I would have rather seen them call it simply the "SLP G8". I would have bought one. They still have the same target audience with the name "SLP Edition G8", but they also do not alienate the enthusiast group that helped build their reputation. That would have been a win-win. I will not buy a Firehawk G8, I will simply modify a GXP instead.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Coal Mining Director

"Anything goes" to make a quick buck these days. Feeling good about "doing the right thing" in lieu of the almightly dollar is few and far between.

The reaction is overwhelmingly poor.

"Firehawk" will become a meaningless sticker.

Dave, in case you've forgotten, here's what a real Firehawk looks like...

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...tol_185260.htm
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
It's not his forum and he has nothing to gain from it. I wanted an open honest opinion and I knew I could get that from Wayne.

Regards,

David

In a post that was deleated over there he said the he was all for it...BECAUSE it would bring new blood into and grow the FOAOA. Not because it was good for current owners or because it was a nice idea or because it would do the REAL Firehawk owners justice, but because it would increase membership in the organization he does have intrest in. So besides him and a few other SLP Koolaid drinkers how many other current Firehawk owners did you consult with and get their support from?

One other thing to think about fellows. Our Firehawks are exclusive because they were at the very least a $5K option over standard Firebirds. All went to SLP for modification and so on. There is nothing at all been said here about what the minumum "Firehawk" G8 package will consist of (except you can get it on a V6 car ). So I am willing to bet money that these cars will not all go to SLP for modification and that the package (kind of like the later SS Camaros) but will just get assembly line applied stickers to them. I guess its a good thing the G8 sells are about as low as the GTOs were...so you still shouldnt see too many of them.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

G8 FIREHAWK

My feelings for this are of that of the majority of posters in this thread....a big NO THANKS. Unacceptable to say the least.

And to have more than one variant including a V6 G8 FIREHAWK....jeezus.

Call it anything but Firehawk, the idea is actually good and should still be marketed but under another name and without those awful wheels and stripes/graphics...if the idea you guys at SLP is for a "high end" G8....stripes should never be part of that equation.

Jeremy.

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss