Pontiac G8 2008-09 & Chevrolet SS 2014+ LSX based RWD 4-door sedans

Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
SLP could have become an overnight hero with the LSX world had they announced that they will be converting new Camaros over to a Firebird looking package. Think about it, a "Firehawk" based on the new Camaro. Simple nose swap to a 1st gen Firebird theme, some different wheels and emblems, maybe a ram air hood. THAT would have rocked, and been worth of the Firehawk name.
Best damn post of the whole thread. I hope you're listening Dave, your buying public is offering sage, free advice.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by brandotron
Best damn post of the whole thread. I hope you're listening Dave, your buying public is offering sage, free advice.

We are not ready yet to talk about Camaro, but it's coming!

-David
Old 09-22-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 15 Likes on 5 Posts

I was about to redo some performance mods on the hawk through slp because I always liked their products, but i just can't bring myself to buy SLP parts after this kinda kick in the nuts feeling.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Wrong. The 2010 Camaro will be the "closest thing to a Firebird that we are ever going to get". SLP could have become an overnight hero with the LSX world had they announced that they will be converting new Camaros over to a Firebird looking package. Think about it, a "Firehawk" based on the new Camaro. Simple nose swap to a 1st gen Firebird theme, some different wheels and emblems, maybe a ram air hood. THAT would have rocked, and been worthy of the Firehawk name.

Someone mentioned Chargers, Daytonas' etc... but keep in mind those were actual vehicle models. Models have always changed. "Firehawk" was a special edition of the Firebird, not a model. It is similar to special upper-tier models like ZL-1, ZR-1, Z06, ACR, Cobra, GT500, etc...

Would you buy a Chevy Aveo Z06? Do you think Corvette owners would get pissed about that name?

I would have rather seen them call it simply the "SLP G8". I would have bought one. They still have the same target audience with the name "SLP Edition G8", but they also do not alienate the enthusiast group that helped build their reputation. That would have been a win-win. I will not buy a Firehawk G8, I will simply modify a GXP instead.
I'm sure some aftermarket company will come out with some Firebird package. Not us, in order to create it and validate it for use on the roads and pass NHTSA and FMVSS rules - it would cost millions of dollars that would never be recouped.

-David
Old 09-22-2008, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If only there was a recent case study about taking a regular car like a grand prix or something, making it fast and then calling it a GTO or some name with historic significance.
Then we would all have an idea how well this similar idea would be received.

Oh well, nothing comes to mind.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joshu
I was about to redo some performance mods on the hawk through slp because I always liked their products, but i just can't bring myself to buy SLP parts after this kinda kick in the nuts feeling.
I know what you are saying. I'm done with SLP also. This is nothing short of complete embarassment.

From strictly a business standpoint it's a great idea.....BUT it's almost like coming out with a new mini-van and calling it a Corvette Van.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
Please do not try to speculate on something of which you have no knowledge. I have not yet made any announcements regarding anything other than there will be a Firehawk package available on the V6 and V8 G8's along with a Firehawk Supercharger package.

Due to current restraints and obligations to magazines, any announcements will be made in conjunction with the timing of these issues.

Regards,

David
I can speculate on anything I want to...it seems highly likely to me that if you will sell the name out to a point of putting it on a V6 4 door car that you would let Pontiac put it on any assembly a line produced G8 as an "appearence packge".

If I am wrong say so....if not then let the speculation run wild!
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't own a firehawk but I thinks its absolutely ridiculous to be doing this. I consider it more of a slap in the face to current firehawk owners. Great job at diminishing the name.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JR HAWK 9
I know what you are saying. I'm done with SLP also. This is nothing short of complete embarassment.
Yea there are a few things that only they offer, but I will pass and just deal with it.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:42 PM
Teching In

A Firehawk is a bad *** Firebird.
Why not a Cadillac Stretch Limo Firehawk or a Buick or a Saab 95 Firehawk from Trollhättan
Firehawk R.I.P 2002
Call it SLP GR8

Stefan Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss-fhawk.jpg  
Old 09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Better watch out, next there will be a G8 WS6 or a Formula WS6 G8.......oh......god.........dont please dont.

But seriously, name it something else....the IDEA is badass but the name not so much. I am curious to what you guys will do on Camaro.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Teching In

I really would like to know what was so special about the firehawk package on the 4th gen. I really cant find anything special about it.

I really cant understand all the crying about this. Its a joke.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Detoxx03
I don't own a firehawk but I thinks its absolutely ridiculous to be doing this. I consider it more of a slap in the face to current firehawk owners. Great job at diminishing the name.
What name? there was none... except the people who paid for the overpriced package.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:52 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess it just makes me shake my head that they would even think about keeping the script the same as well.

It really makes you think that they had a huuuge supply of Firehawk branded chochkies sitting around and figured out a way to get rid of them.

Do you guys need to higher a creative or graphics arts department? If you have one, fire them.

Dave, if you're getting anything out of this thread, realize this. F-bodies owners, not just Firebird Firehawk owners are a passionate group of people. Forgive us if we feel like we have gotten kicked while we were down. First they cancelled the f-bodies, then it takes them 8 years to bring about new models, then it's only the camaro, and now they are going to badge a four door sedan a Firehawk????

Sorry if this bothers you, but if it does, maybe you should reconsider your sponsorship here because this is your target audience for aftermarket parts and equipment.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

That car looks terrible, and the whole idea is trash.... May seem immature but Im not going into the "mature" rant about how the idea is just terrible and will flop. People here have already done that. Id love to know what Firehawk "owners" past or current that you talked to that let this travesty unfold...

All I can say is no more SLP stuff for me, and wheres that petition. Sign me up.

EDIT : Nice to know also that the guy who is behind it is now bashing Firehawk owners for their opinions, which are entirely negative. Sorry, cant lie man...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

To everyone - provide constructive feedback - don't bash. When you bash someone/ something, your comments seem weak and unprofessional.

To SLP,

I've bought many parts from your company over the years. I've been to your racing events at Englishtown. I've raced with many of your employees. I've visited your location in NJ several times. I was given a tour of your facility, dyno rooms etc and was blown away.

I have bought parts from you for the following cars:
1997 Pontiac Firebird V6 - mine
1996 Pontiac Trans Am - mine
1998 Chevy Corvette - mom's
2000 Chevy Corvette - mom's

Looking at everything I have written above, I've had a considerable amount of exposure to your company over the years.

I understand you are a business and want to make money. I understand the decision is already made.

I hope you accept my feedback in the vein it is intended.

As for the car being called a Firehawk - I really do not like it. The name Firehawk, to me, should be for an F-Body only. Firehawk was the pinical of performance in the f-body world to me. Using this name on a G8 seems to take away from specialness (is that even a word?) of it.

I would have really liked to see a different name created.

As you may know, I have been in the V6 world for a VERY long time and am a HUGE supporter of the V6. I am really not a fan of seeing a V6 version getting the name Firehawk. It seems to really take away from the vision of pinacle performance level of a Firehawk... when it is a v6 model.

I've said my peace. I hope you take it into consideration. I accept that you are a business and want to make money. In my opinion.... there might have been an opportunity to make MORE money with something as simple as a different name.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
Better watch out, next there will be a G8 WS6 or a Formula WS6 G8.......oh......god.........dont please dont.

But seriously, name it something else....the IDEA is badass but the name not so much. I am curious to what you guys will do on Camaro.
There has already been a Grand Prix WS6. WS6 is just an option code for a performance package. The Grand Prix Comp G was option code WS6. It's not a Firebird specific option code, just a Pontiac specific code.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by David Hamburger
For being a so-called Firehawk enthusiast - you don't know much about the history of the GM assembly line and the Firehawk. The Firehawk was originally made on SLP's assembly line, never GM's - The Firehawk will never be made on GM's assembly line.

Second, you obviously can't read well as the brochure talks about Pavement Pounding Performance and then in the last line our "SC" Supercharged version is mentioned. The new Firehawk is far from an appearance package.

Regards,

David
DAVID maybe you should read what I WROTE a little better. I said that ALL Firehawks (I guess I have to say all F-Body Firehawks now! ) went to SLP for modification but that I am willing to bet that ALL G8 firehawks wont. That if you would sell out the name to the point of putting it on a V6 car that I wouldnt put it past you letting Pontiac put stickers and wheels on a standard assembly line produced G8 and call it a FIREHAWK.

And PLLLEEEEEAAAASSSSSE tell us all about the pavment pounding performance the V6 firehawk G8 will offer...I missed that in my rereading of the brochure.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm going to use this massive thread as a chance to make my predictions for the "SLP Ultra-Z", for the 2010 Camaro. I know David won't confirm, but I'm feelin it...
Old 09-22-2008, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Funny how SLP says the fbody crowd is not the crowd the Firehawk G8 is
marketed to yet they give it an old fbody name (Firehawk).

What am I missing?

Quick Reply: Confirmed: SLP Firehawk G8 - Discuss