CAI. Has Anyone Tried These?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CAI. Has Anyone Tried These?

Has anyone tried one of these set-ups?

http://www.coldairinductions.com/coldairintakekits.html

If so, has anyone logged or dynoed the difference this type made to the car?

Thanks in advance, SS.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Best one available for the GTO besides doing an OTRCAI or drilling holes in the vehicle to run a hardcore.

I loved the fit/finish/ look of mine and IAT temps were always pretty close to ambient. The tuner said he was impressed when we were doing data logs.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

$340, jeeeebus.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they are the best out for our cars.and on the dyno you will see 10/10 gain
Old 12-29-2008, 07:06 PM
11 Second Club

I'll be installing one as part of my LSX bowtie block stroker build. Have heard a lot of good things about it. Hope they're true.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are, I loved the hell out of mine.
Old 12-30-2008, 08:04 AM
TECH Regular

i have that cold air intake in the past two monte carlos i have had. i love it
Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

I've used the New Era CAI and I like it very much.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive got their box hooked up with the speed inc tube and love it , also plan on getting 1 for my 06
Old 01-05-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

I dont know what year your car is but this is what id go with, read up on it and tell me its not the best!
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269006
Old 01-06-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely NOT the best intake out there, that MAHAN POS is laughable.

They can't back up any claims and nobody is seeing any real gains from it...also the hood scoops are at the lowest air section of the hood, that thing isn't ramming anything, and then having metal on top of he radiator on top of that...lol...that thing is a horrible POS
Old 01-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Summerwolf
Definitely NOT the best intake out there, that MAHAN POS is laughable.

They can't back up any claims and nobody is seeing any real gains from it...also the hood scoops are at the lowest air section of the hood, that thing isn't ramming anything, and then having metal on top of he radiator on top of that...lol...that thing is a horrible POS
are you kdding? They had test results from a customers car, you apparently didnt read..it picked up i believe 4 mph in the quarter and 3 tenths if i remember correctly. Of course its not going to show up on a dyno, whos got a fan thats going to blow air at 100 mph?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

No, thats what they CLAIM on their website...apparently the maker got to the track once...their has never been any customer proof since no has "been able to get to the track" and nobody has done any IAT logs or tuning with that thing on....

It sucks, they made six of them, and they look retarded. Its probably not the worst intake for the car but its ranking way down at the bottom.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Launching!

No, thats what they CLAIM on their website...apparently the maker got to the track once...their has never been any customer proof since no has "been able to get to the track" and nobody has done any IAT logs or tuning with that thing on....

It sucks, they made six of them, and they look retarded. Its probably not the worst intake for the car but its ranking way down at the bottom.
That was on a customers car, doubting they made it up. If ram air sucks so much im curious why all the ls1 t/a's have it and ss camaros? Of course more people havent got to the track yet since they came out, 90% of tracks closed a month ago already. Im pretty sure anything is better than sucking in hot air from the engine bay.

Last edited by 95Lwind05; 01-06-2009 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I never said ram air sucks.....it sucks on the GTO because the scoops are cosmetic, they are at a point on the car that air is basically avoiding. That was NOT a customers' car as the guy that posted the results name was ANDY MAHAN, owner of MAHAN performance, makers of the MAHAN air intake.

The intake has been out for a little less than a year, so of course there has been plenty of time for track testing but no one has done any....and who wants to drill their car to place the scoops to the hood, and then the stay wires? LMAO....plus the fact that it is a big metal skillet sitting ON the radiator....its just not worth it IMO....and for 249.00 you'd think more than six people would jump on the wagon if it was such a great intake.

You're right there are much better ways of getting air into the engine, the CAI is the best air box for people that don't want to drill their car or run a MAFLESS aussie OTRCAI.

Or something like the attached image....it takes air from the factory designed gap between the bumper and the hood at the highest pressure area of the car.....and it also takes air from the grille area...the best option IMO, plus it allows you to run a MAF...too bad each one is handmade....

*edit* on the website they claim on 9-2-2008 nick sullivan became their first customer.....
Attached Thumbnails CAI. Has Anyone Tried These?-tucson-007.jpg  
Old 01-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Launching!

I never said ram air sucks.....it sucks on the GTO because the scoops are cosmetic, they are at a point on the car that air is basically avoiding. That was NOT a customers' car as the guy that posted the results name was ANDY MAHAN, owner of MAHAN performance, makers of the MAHAN air intake.

The intake has been out for a little less than a year, so of course there has been plenty of time for track testing but no one has done any....and who wants to drill their car to place the scoops to the hood, and then the stay wires? LMAO....plus the fact that it is a big metal skillet sitting ON the radiator....its just not worth it IMO....and for 249.00 you'd think more than six people would jump on the wagon if it was such a great intake.

You're right there are much better ways of getting air into the engine, the CAI is the best air box for people that don't want to drill their car or run a MAFLESS aussie OTRCAI.

Or something like the attached image....it takes air from the factory designed gap between the bumper and the hood at the highest pressure area of the car.....and it also takes air from the grille area...the best option IMO, plus it allows you to run a MAF...too bad each one is handmade....

*edit* on the website they claim on 9-2-2008 nick sullivan became their first customer.....
Im doubting they made the numbers up, they are consistant with Fbody ram air conversion numbers. Not to mention alot of other sponsors post up results if the person testing isnt on the website or hasnt had time to get on. Its still in it development stages, as you read they are still working on getting a filter.So im doubting they have been out for a year(September isnt close to a year). They dont even have one for the 04's yet. I know I for one dont want to mess around making a OTRCAI when i could spend $250 and get one that installs in no more than 30 minutes( im guessing).
Old 01-07-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

install is a lot more than 30 minutes for that pos, you have to drill the hood of the car. I said little less than a year I think they started advertising in may of last year. Still working on getting a FILTER, for an AIR INTAKE?? Ok....wow, what could possibly be wrong with that statement...everything. They WONT have one for the 04's, the market for that intake isn't even there for the 05-06 cars and I gaurantee nobody will want to retool the thing for different radiator heights and the lower sitting LS6 manifold/throttle body.

I know the numbers are consistent with Fbody results, thats why I'm pretty sure its not real....Fbody ram air works, GTO ram air unless it is an OTRCAI doesn't....the GTO's wind tunnel design basically throws air OVER the hood conveniently missing the aesthetic scoops which would basically avoid ramming anything into that metal skillet.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Launching!

install is a lot more than 30 minutes for that pos, you have to drill the hood of the car. I said little less than a year I think they started advertising in may of last year. Still working on getting a FILTER, for an AIR INTAKE?? Ok....wow, what could possibly be wrong with that statement...everything. They WONT have one for the 04's, the market for that intake isn't even there for the 05-06 cars and I gaurantee nobody will want to retool the thing for different radiator heights and the lower sitting LS6 manifold/throttle body.

I know the numbers are consistent with Fbody results, thats why I'm pretty sure its not real....Fbody ram air works, GTO ram air unless it is an OTRCAI doesn't....the GTO's wind tunnel design basically throws air OVER the hood conveniently missing the aesthetic scoops which would basically avoid ramming anything into that metal skillet.
Well we will find out more this spring..I think they will be alot better than your giving them credit for, but like i said, we'll see.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

unless someone has hard IAT logs and a lot of testing nothing will come to fruition....besides, with only six of them out there on cars and nobody being able to contact the makers, I don't see much coming from these, ever.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Lwind05
Well we will find out more this spring..I think they will be alot better than your giving them credit for, but like i said, we'll see.
i also think they are an unproven joke. anybody swallowing 3 tenths gain in the quarter on an intake has either never raced or much at all. that's a 30 hp gain. on face value that's a farce.

there's only ONE real way to test an intake on a car. Love, Feelings, ETs, etc aren't any of them. log IATs and log MAPs. compare those to whatever intake you want to compare it to. those are the ONLY direct measurements of what an intake does, temps and flow restriction.

Quick Reply: CAI. Has Anyone Tried These?