Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car

Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ******* pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car

As some of you may or may not know, there is a factory defect in our pontiac GTO's that causes them to leak. Well, i should say flood, because you get a swimming pool in your back floorboards.

there is a thread here that explains it...
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/showthr...ght=water+leak

Anyway, this has started to happen to me. I thought i hadf fixed it a while ago, cause i cleaned out the dirt and gunk that had built up in the side panel thing, and i didnt have flooding for a little bit. Then it didnt really rain for a few months, that i drove in anyway. So it poured the last couple days, and what do you know??? I got a damn swimming poool in my car again.

SO i took it to pontiac, the dealership i bought it from no less to be fixed. They told me since the warranty is up,they wouldnt cover it. I explained to the gentleman in the service department (service writer) that it was a factory defect, that it wasnt something i broke, or was worn out, etc. I brought a zip drive with me showing the article i linked to, pics from the article, and a recall release from Holden on the subject matter. I did this for backup, so hopefully they would see it was their fuckup and stand behind their product.

NOPE!!!!

They told me i would have to pay for it. when i asked how much, they said the labor charge is roughly $80 an hour (maybe more, cant recall the price he gave me), and it may take up to 6 hours or more to find the leak, cause water leaks can be difficult. I reiterated to him that i had pics of where the problem was, as well as an explanation from Holdenon hwo to fix it, so it shouldnt take hours. That did me no good.

So now i am trying to get ahold of the general manager of the service department to see if he will stand behind his product.

UPDATE AS OF WRITING THIS!!! The manager just called me back. he himself has never heard of this problem, but he said he will do some research, and gaveme his email to send him any info on it i have, so he can look and see if he can help me with it.

anybody who has any pics f the problem, or info please post it here.
thank you
Old 03-23-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Resident

if any of you are members at www.ls1gto.com i could use a favor. If you could contact GTO Kroh on there (who made the thread about the water leak problem), and ask him to contact me, that would be great. I am banned over there, or else i would do it myself. Heis a member here, but he has no posts, so i assume he isnt active here and may never get my PM that i sent him.

i really could use the help, as i dont have the money to pay the stealership to fix this. If i can give them good info to back up the claim of it being a factory defect, that would be great. thank you
Old 03-23-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
if any of you are members at www.ls1gto.com i could use a favor. If you could contact GTO Kroh on there (who made the thread about the water leak problem), and ask him to contact me, that would be great. I am banned over there, or else i would do it myself. Heis a member here, but he has no posts, so i assume he isnt active here and may never get my PM that i sent him.

i really could use the help, as i dont have the money to pay the stealership to fix this. If i can give them good info to back up the claim of it being a factory defect, that would be great. thank you
I had that problem but they fixed it under warranty. Good luck, hopefully it gets done right
Old 03-23-2009, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey johnny! i looked on ls1gto and could not find kroh! he must of left to! sorry...
Old 03-23-2009, 02:43 PM
TECH Resident

ok, so i did a lil work on the car...

i couldnt find any holes in the wheel well. i see 2 round indentations, but they arent holes, merely recessed a bit. it is one piece, with no cracks or anything so water isnt getting through there.
anyway, i took off the rocker panel and you can see 5 or 6 white plastic plugs sticking out of the metal body, with water slowly dripping out. i pulled 2 of them out and the water poured out. i am debating leaving them out (the 2 of them). i cant find where the water is getting in,but this seems to be where it is supposed to get out, and with the white cork out, it really flows out.

so should i just leave them out??
here are some pics, so u all have a reference as to what i am speaking of...
Attached Thumbnails Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car-dsc00014.jpg   Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car-dsc00013.jpg   Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car-dsc00012.jpg  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Staging Lane

Johny. I looked him (GTO_Kroh) up over there and pm'd him regarding your need.

As far as the plugs go - I'd leave them out. I'm gonna go check mine now.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

I sent Kroh a PM
Old 03-23-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Resident

thanks guys. i am in contact with him now. Much appreciated.

what do you think about leaving those plugs out?? And where exactly is the water getting in?? i dont see it in his pics, and i dont see it on my car.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Teching In

ill give you a call here later......as far as those plugs pull a few out and get a hose and spray water up in to get all the crap out of the rocker..........
I know where the water gets in at.... thats why ill give you a call......i couldntfind the spot myself till me and the water leak tech stumbled upon it.....checked a few other gtos and all the ones i have checked have it..... i should have got some pics of it because this is becoming a very common problem with these cars ..
Old 03-23-2009, 03:44 PM
Teching In

lol....you were my first post ever here
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

cool. i appreciate it.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Johny and Kroh. Keep us posted as to where the water is getting in. I don't (knocks real hard on wood) have any water/dampness issues so far but it's like everything that I read about these goats seems to happen eventually.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTO KROH
I know where the water gets in at.... thats why ill give you a call......

Instead of being cryptic, why don't you tell all of us where to look?
No problems (as of yet) but if you tell ALL of us where to look so we, (at least I), can do some preventative maintenance.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:27 PM
Teching In

if my car starts doing this, you can bet it will be sitting on a dealership awaiting a new owner. these damn cars are rediculous.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

No more or less rediculous then any other car lol. Try owning a DSM at any point in your life. Or a dodge daytona shelby. Or a honda accord.

Actually come to think about it this GTO has been the most fun, least problematic car I've ever owned.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by imperial07
if my car starts doing this, you can bet it will be sitting on a dealership awaiting a new owner. these damn cars are rediculous.
Buy a Camry if you want no problems
Old 03-23-2009, 07:10 PM
11 Second Club

Mine was coming in from the wheel well on the drivers side. If you search my name over there i made a few posts about it and how i fixed it. If you spray soapy water along all the body seams under the rocker covers then blow air into them from the holes inside behind the carpet, the soapy water will bubble wherever there is air coming out, seal that hole up and you should be ok.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BoostedLT5
Mine was coming in from the wheel well on the drivers side. If you search my name over there i made a few posts about it and how i fixed it. If you spray soapy water along all the body seams under the rocker covers then blow air into them from the holes inside behind the carpet, the soapy water will bubble wherever there is air coming out, seal that hole up and you should be ok.
ahh, excellent idea to find the leak. Unfortunately, i already put the under ferring \ kick panel (whatever its called, im drawing a blank) back on. Do i need to remove that in order to do the bubble trick?
Old 03-23-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

oh, in reference to the gentleman being pissed off witht he GTO and problems with it....
this car has been damn near trouble free for me (knock on wood). I think this car has a good service record overall.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've had to replace my stock radio 4x and then one time they re-wired my speakers due to some wierd issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fucking pontiac GTO... problem with water leak flooding car