Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

have a few questions about new rims and tires.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default have a few questions about new rims and tires.

Hey guys totally new to this forum. actually its the first forum i ever bothered with. Anyway heres my issue. I have a 2004 gto that I got yokohama es100 245 45 17 tires and im looking to put american racing phantoms on those tires. I lined them up next to the original tires that came with the car and the yokohamas are a lot larger even though all the specs are the same. I keep hearing nightmares of people having problems with offsets and all the other stuff that comes into play with putting rims an tires on. I heard that if its not done correct or if the rims arent the right size the handleing will suffer and also since those tires look so much bigger then the originals even though there the same specs im worried about them rubbing the strut or fender. Any info on these tires or rims or another set of tires and rims that work fine on this car without any issues please let me know. Also just installed a K&N air intake system since im gonna do the magna flow exhaust since its stainless steal rather then the aluminized flow masters. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 01-22-2010, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you say rims, I'm assuming you mean wheels? What are the specs (especially offset and width) of what you are looking at?
Old 01-23-2010, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct i was interested in getting the american racing phantoms. the tires i have are yokohamas es100 245 45 17. but they are just so much bigger when put side to side with the original tires.
Old 01-23-2010, 06:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You didn't provide the info I asked for, but I looked that model of wheel up and see it comes in 17X7.5 with a 42mm offset for our bolt pattern. That's not bad and will fit fine with the right tires. As you have now found out, the same tire specs can run small or large depending on the brand. I have no experience with Yokohama, but if you say they are bigger than the stock BFG tires, then I'll believe you. The rear shouldn't be a problem, but the front might run into some rubbing issues.

Quick Reply: have a few questions about new rims and tires.