Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

WTB GTO but need opinions of owners with car seats.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTB GTO but need opinions of owners with car seats.

Thinking about buying GTO for the wife to DD with 4month old son.
I have a couple of ?'s
I'm just wondering how much room there will be with a car seat in the back facing backwards and how much trouble would it be getting the seat in and out of the car.
I really am trying to avoid buying a 4dr sedan and would rather buy a GTO for the same money. We have a yukon denali XL now that get 15mpg and a 98 formula that gets good mileage but would not be a good DD for the wife with the mods. I will be selling the formula to help fund the next purchase.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

I have two sons. And the oldest is 1 and the other is 10 months. Its hard to get the 10 month old in and out of the car with the seat, but it can be done.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't have kids but from the times I had people in the back it's a bit annoying. Getting the seat to pull forward and back takes a little long since it's only by motor.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Buddy of mine sold his GTO because of the bady seat hassle dealt with it for two months. A new G8 was his answer.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Launching!

Buddy of mine sold his GTO because of the baby seat hassle dealt with it for two months. A new G8 was his answer.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

this is not the news I wanted to here lol but I'm glad you guys are being honest.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I bought a GTO 4 days after my son was born. I carry him around in the baby seat all the time and it is not that big of a deal to me. My wife and I have a car seat that unhooks from the base and we can take him in and out with ease. Now if I had to reach around and strap him in each time that would be a royal PITA.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the flip side though (if it matters)...most people who sit in my backseat say that the seats are way more comfy then the fronts lol
Old 12-16-2009, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BlackNightmare
I bought a GTO 4 days after my son was born. I carry him around in the baby seat all the time and it is not that big of a deal to me. My wife and I have a car seat that unhooks from the base and we can take him in and out with ease. Now if I had to reach around and strap him in each time that would be a royal PITA.
Our car seat is the same way with a base. Thanks
Old 12-16-2009, 09:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a son that is almost 2. I drive around with him in the car all the time. It doesnt really bother me at all. The car is way more comfortable then the formula. I had a 99 T/A before my GTO and i would NEVER choose an F body over the goat now.

If you get annoyed with it being a little tight putting the kid in and out then the car isnt for you but it really doesnt bother me.
Old 12-16-2009, 09:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS12Fast4U
I have a son that is almost 2. I drive around with him in the car all the time. It doesnt really bother me at all. The car is way more comfortable then the formula. I had a 99 T/A before my GTO and i would NEVER choose an F body over the goat now.

If you get annoyed with it being a little tight putting the kid in and out then the car isnt for you but it really doesnt bother me.
I could deal with it if I was DD the car everyday but my wife is the one thats going to be driving so I dont know how she would feel about it. Anyone around Birmingham, AL or Huntsville, AL have a GTO I could look at and test fit a car seat? lol
Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Man, access to that GTO back seat is difficult. It's tucked way back and the front seat moves forward very slowly. Your Formula rear seats have easier access. My guess is that your wife will tire of it quickly and will be nagging you about it. A G8 is a much better solution if you can afford the price differential.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't look forward to using the GTO rear seat for a baby seat (wife is 39 weeks pregnant)

I keep telling her a TBSS is needed to add to the fleet.

Ryan
Old 12-17-2009, 11:12 AM

Car seat fits fine, its getting them in and out that works your nerves a bit. Expect to wack said little ones head a couple times till you get it down lol

PS oh the lovely gto seat button.. The slowest operation.. You can press it and hold it, whistle a couple tunes and peep some hotties while it moves foward.. I never understood how it went so darn slow
Old 12-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Powered By V8
On the flip side though (if it matters)...most people who sit in my backseat say that the seats are way more comfy then the fronts lol
i have taken a nap in the back seat once when i was cleaning the car.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

I have 3 boys and a 1yr old. Yeah it can be a pain with the car seats but worth it in my opinion. I dont mind much waiting for the seat to move fwd unless it is raining lol. My kids love the GTO and prefer it to Moms Town and country with Dual DVD screens. My kids will be serious car lovers lol.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you wife is not a car person then she wont love the car and she wont want to deal with the hassle of the seat. In that case i would buy the G8. The G8 is a nice car to. I want to buy my wife a G8 but she has a hard enough time driving her Forenza let alone a car with power. She drove my goat 1 time and i about cried as she grinded through gears. The worst part is she drives stick everyday.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:23 PM
On The Tree

A g8 is way out of my price range. It looks like I'll be looking into buying a used altima or maxima. Thanks for your help guys.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM
TECH Veteran

i daily drive my gto with my son in his car seat since day one. Yes the car seat backwards was a bit of a pain, but for a smaller person not so bad, im 6'4" so its more difficult for me.
the wife who is 5'1" doesnt hve much problem. Now that he is 17 months old, its not a problem at all. There is no reason it cant work.

my boy actually loves my car, as soon as we get in, he goes "vroom vroommmmmm" and makes loud noises, its quite funny. I acutally lied, i didnt have it since day 1, i got it when he was 3 months old. So thats a better case for the gto anywayz, and there is a ton of room in the back anyway,

If you do go this route, i would caution about baby milk on the nice beautiful black leather and side moldings, also i would but a towel under the base of the car seat as to not damage the leather. Its not that bad, i guess its a matter of what your willing to do to have what you want. sorry for the long post, but i dont feel the 2 door reason is any reason at all to leave the GOAT out of the equation. Also, when hes older, he cant mess with windows or open doors if you forget to lock the child saftey locks.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HVAC-Tech
A g8 is way out of my price range. It looks like I'll be looking into buying a used altima or maxima. Thanks for your help guys.
oh hell no that sucks. Dont do it!

Quick Reply: WTB GTO but need opinions of owners with car seats.