Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2005 GTO Shifting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:57 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 GTO Shifting problems

I recently bought a 2005 GTO m/t.... Love the car, but it hads slight shifting problems which I thought would be corrected by installing a Hurts shifter, but it seems to have gotten worse. Everything shifts fine when the trans is cold but once it gets warm it does not want to go into second gear unless its a WOT shift..?? First is harder to get in to when stoped fine from a roll. I was think that maybe the dealer but the wrong fluid in the trans or the fluid level is low. Anyone have any input on the situation? also what trans fluid is best for my goat?
Old 01-25-2010, 01:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Post here:
http://www.ls1gto.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Old 01-29-2010, 06:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've tried several fluids, Royal Purple, M1, etc and the best seems to be the original GM stuff. The Mobil 1 worked very slick but it also didn't allow the synchronizers to work right all the time. Sometimes it would "slip" so easily that it would grind because the syncros didn't have enough friction to sync up.

You could also be having a clutch issue. Have you looked at or changed your clutch fluid? Look in the reservoir located under the hood right in front of the driver. If the fluid is dark or there's lots of gunk in it, take a baster and suck some out and put in fresh. Drive it a bit and repeat. It will take many such changes to do it that way but eventually you'll clear up the stuff. It helps with a lot of shifting problems.

Another thing to try is to stop on a flat surface, push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor and with the brakes off bring the RPM up really high. If the car starts to move the clutch isn't fully disengaging. Changing the fluid can sometimes help that.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry but you bent a shift fork or the linkages: Most likely the shift fork because it only got worse with the new shifter. A very common occurance on the 6 speed cars dating back to the LS1 vette and camaro days. It'll cost you a couple hundred dollars to get high quality aftermarket forks installed so you can slam bang away!

Your previous cars owner messed it up and thats most likely why he got rid of it
Old 01-31-2010, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Before you go nuts!!!! try looking at your hydraulic fluid for the slave cylinder. If it has any debris or isn't clean, you could have some shifting issues as a result of it.

Put the car on a lift and pressure bleed the system and fill it up with a good quality DOT4 fluid. Keep your eye on the fluid and make sure nothing else works itself loose in the system as you continue to drive. If this isn't your solution, then take a look at your transmission fluid. If changing both of these doesn't help you out then you may have an internal issue.

I had the same issue and it was caused by the hydraulic fluid.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

maybe a stupid question, but are you sure its not the"Skip Shift" kicking in and tring to make you go from 1st to 4th gear?
Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stock shifter assembly is crap.

Throw an LSS in it.

If your still on stock clutch that may need to be replaced as well.

Quick Reply: 2005 GTO Shifting problems