Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

First problem in the GTO

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First problem in the GTO

Welp, I've officially had my first problem with the GTO. Yesterday and this morning it was having a bit of trouble idling. As in, it would dip down to 400RPM and then rev back up and eventually settle on 900RPM. Today on the way to work it stalled on me, but started right back up. I was coming back to the office after lunch today and let it idle in the driveway for a bit before leaving, and it stalled again twice and then would stutter and fall when I tried to rev it up a bit. I drove around the parking lot trying to replicate the problem and couldn't.

I got the office and let it idle in the parking lot and a check engine light came on (I think it's the check engine light. It's just a icon of an engine). But when I went into the diagnostic mode it showed no trouble codes.

Besides the idle issue, it has been a bit jerky from starts and stumbles a bit when i lightly get on it from a stop.

Is this a tune issue? i turned off the TC and trying doing a rolling burnout and it just wheel-hopped a bit. Any ideas before i call my local shop?
Old 06-23-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to autozone and they can check the engine light for free.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:05 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine will have that quick stumble when I first fire it up in the morning or afternoon after work. Maybe try cleaning your throttle body because if there is a lot of gunk, it may be sticking. If it's under warranty, just take it to the dealer.

I'm sure others can chime in with other solutions.
Old 06-23-2008, 12:09 PM
On The Tree

Throttle position sensor?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

It is under warranty but is too modified for the dealer to touch it. I checked the TB the other day (It's a PP TB) and it looked fine and I have a IAT relocation kit on the car.

The only thing I can think of is bad gas or i only put in 91 octane last time instead of 93 and because of the tune it's kicking me.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Check your MAF. Make sure your intake tube is on tight at all connections. Mine was sputtering and running like crap and threw a check engine light. I looked under the hood and there was a 1/8-1/4" gap between the intake elbow and the MAF. Took it all off, re tightened it all, reset the code. No more crappy idle and no more light.
Old 06-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Staging Lane

i got water in my cai and the car acted like that until it dried out.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Woohoo! I got it figured out. HQuakers had it. It wasn't crazy loose, but enough apparently. I tightened her up, and went to Autozone and cleared the code for "low MAF input" and she's all better. I love online forums. :-D
Old 06-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Segselah
Woohoo! I got it figured out. HQuakers had it. It wasn't crazy loose, but enough apparently. I tightened her up, and went to Autozone and cleared the code for "low MAF input" and she's all better. I love online forums. :-D
Nice! Glad I could help. Sometimes it's the smallest things and then you freak out cause you can't figure it out, but then after it's fixed, you get a big sigh of relief because your wallet isn't missing any bills My opening was barely a crack, but that's all it takes sometimes...
Old 04-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

I have almost the same problem. Its running rough at idle. Engine light is on. The trouble code says its running lean and misfiring. Exhuast also smells funny. Could this be the same problem like an air gap in the air intake or low fuel pressure?
Old 04-30-2010, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

Try cleaning your throttle body and your idle air control valve ...
Old 05-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Staging Lane

fixed it. it was o2 sensor wire.

Quick Reply: First problem in the GTO