Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Checked out GTO at Jacobs Twin Buick here in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2004, 06:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Default Checked out GTO at Jacobs Twin Buick here in Chicago

I was driving to my fiance's place, when I remembered that somebody said that this dealer had a black GTO. I didn't see one last time, but this time I saw it!!!!!

It's sitting right in the showroom, and the sales guy was very friendly. I think it's stickering at 33K, and they want $1000 over sticker.

I have a few comments, but let me add that I will try to go back this week and take some pictures...

Here I go, in no order...

-Same size tires as Camaro SS
-I like the seats
-I like the console
-Trunk is roomy, more than f-body, not as deep as my old 95 Lumina
-I like the gauges, and the overall layout
-I am so/so on the rims, Camaro SS and WS6 rims are better
-Engine looks good
-Rear spoiler me no likey, just looks plunked on there, I'd rather have none
-Rear seats look functional, but the footwell looks a bit short, I was going to sit in the back seat but I did not want to mess up the cleanliness of the car and I would have had a hard time not scuffing the back and side of the driver's seat with my shoes when getting in
-headlites look good
-Front end sheetmetal looks a bit bland

Overall I liked it. I'm probably not a buyer at $34K but I am excited about the car nonetheless. I have my eyes on a different LS powered car that I want to use as a showcase car for the site, but I am not totally dismissing the possibility of getting a GTO this year.
Old 01-10-2004, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool bro, as far as rims, I think black gto should have the gray powdered coated zo6 rims. Just my opinion. I still think I would purchase one if i was not a broke college student.
Old 01-11-2004, 12:38 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Im kind of glad they put ugly *** wheels on the GTO. I never keep stock wheels for very long, and if they looked cool I would feel guilty about ditching them if I bought a GTO. haha.

I think the aftermarket wheel companies pay auto builders to put crap wheels on the new cars.
Old 01-11-2004, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Im kind of glad they put ugly *** wheels on the GTO. I never keep stock wheels for very long, and if they looked cool I would feel guilty about ditching them if I bought a GTO. haha.

I think the aftermarket wheel companies pay auto builders to put crap wheels on the new cars.
What you just said fits you to a T Tony. WE dont have any down here yet but when we do ill be sure to go and see one........... Now some 18" iForged Aero's would look sick on that car.......
Kyle
Old 01-11-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
-Same size tires as Camaro SS

I have my eyes on a different LS powered car that I want to use as a showcase car for the site, but I am not totally dismissing the possibility of getting a GTO this year.

Wait, it has 275s on it now? That could make a difference in 1/4 mile and braking performance - considering that the GTO Car and Driver tested wore 245s

Different LS powered car you say? CTS-V? But that's way over 34K. Vette of some sort?
Old 01-11-2004, 10:58 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Overall it seems like a nice car. I am sort of indifferent about it now, because it's a little bland for my tastes. But I would never pay a dealer mark up. I have yet in my life to find any car that I like enough to pay one of those BS markups. Look at all the people that got screwed when the new '03 Cobra came out, paying huge markups and such. Then all that went away down the line. I am anti-markup.

The only thing I *hate* about the GTO is the wheels. To me, they look gay as hell. But wheels are easy and fun to change anyway...
Old 01-11-2004, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I'm sorry it had 245's on it. GTO rims are definitely #4 after the zo6 rims, ws6 rims, and the ss rims.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:22 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I'm sorry it had 245's on it. GTO rims are definitely #4 after the zo6 rims, ws6 rims, and the ss rims.
Which SS rims are we talking about? 00-02 or 96-99 ZR1's?

Which WS6 rims are we talking about? 01/02 or 96-00?

What about the Firehawks?

devil's advocate
Old 01-12-2004, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think some chrome firehawk rims on that car would look good....
Old 01-13-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Well I have yet to see one at a dealership in Atlanta. I called a dealer up on Cobb Parkway and they want $5K over sticker for the Goat they had hitting end of the month.

I'm lukewarm about the car as it is, charging over sticker just ticks me off.

In other news I saw a 2000 BMW M5 with 15K miles (Carbon Black on Black sport interior) for $39K used so no sales tax. That has my attention more than a $38K+tax Goat....

Last edited by Adam Bruce; 01-13-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-13-2004, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

just went and looked at one today,very nice seats and sitting position.

sounds pretty good to but didnt get to drive it.

nice car overall.
Old 01-13-2004, 03:19 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Too bad you didn't take it for a spin. I'd like to know how it rides.
Old 01-13-2004, 04:56 PM
Teching In

There is one in Southern Indiana, see post here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128861
Old 01-13-2004, 06:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

None of the wheels mentioned above will fit. Wrong bolt pattern. For fitment guide use the BMW M3, same bolt pattern and offset. Most sites such as Tirerack.com don't have the GTO listed yet.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

DO NOT BUY FROM TWIN RIP OFF PONTICRAP. After looking at a red GTO my soon to be wife decided she had to have one. So we went looging for a red 6spd car. Twin Jacobs treated me like a kid (im 25) He told me "are you serious about buying so I dont waste my time looking for a 6 spd car" "You cant test drive one until its paid for"
They wanted over sticker and put crappy coming off pinstripes and other -dealer crap- on the car. They *** muncher told me I should wait until the nem Mustng GT comes out "its a better car" What a monkey pirate.

To Twin... get off it. The GTO is not an exotic or exspensive car. I wanted to go to the bank get 35K in cash and slap him in the face with it. Then take my business to someone who wants a loyal customer.
Old 01-14-2004, 01:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Lazy *** disrespectful salesmen........can't beat um...........
Old 01-14-2004, 10:32 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Evil Turbo SS... I'm assuming you didn't show up in the SS or Cobra
Old 01-14-2004, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Checked out the GTO today myself...for a second time this week. With the Autoshow here in Detroit I took a some time checking it out. To be honest, I was a 'Goat Hater' before and now.....maybe just a 'disliker'. Lol, I was the same way about the Camaro too, so go figure. Still too small for what it 'should' or 'could' be, IMO. It's still a weak design from a styling perspective and sitting next to a GrandPrix ..... certainly could have done something different up front. Interior was pretty slick though. Really nice as a matter of fact. Agreeing with the majority here in that a different set of wheels would be helpful. THOSE EXHAUST tips though are just . You hear a dual exhausted LS1, then stare at those butt ugly, sawed off 2", should have been on a Sunfire exhaust pipes. Kind of lame after just looking at a Bonneville with a dual set of Corsa tips . I'm anxious to see what the aftermarket world has in store for it in the next couple years.

Quick Reply: Checked out GTO at Jacobs Twin Buick here in Chicago