Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Loose Endlinks??? Need help from suspension people

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose Endlinks??? Need help from suspension people

Alright guys, so I'm looking for some help here.

I'm helping a buddy with his 06 GTO (gorgeous btw), and he was complaining about the front driver side feeling very sloppy and hearing knocking noise coming from it. He was wondering if it was just a bad shock or what...he knew the previous owner had the passenger shock replaced already...but not the driver side...wierd, but ok...

When he got to the house, the first thing I did was push down on the passenger side, it felt pretty tight and firm, went over to the driver side, and there was a big noticable difference in the shock compression...it compressed much easier. So that I figure was just the strut...He wants to upgrade them, so we'll probably take care of that then....(I'm pushing him towards Pedders Ext XA Adjustable Coilover setup).

Now here's the bigger issue I saw...the top end of the end link that connects to the strut was COMPLETELY loose! I figured I'd solved the issue and would just tighten it down...but after looking at it closely, there were no more threads to tighten the bolt down any further...so there was no way of tightening it down. Is that the factory design? Does he have an end link that's wrong? The end link upper bushing was rather compressed...so that could account for some, but don't think that would account for the 1/2? of play in there. Note...this is with the driver side jacked up so suspension there was at full droop. I wanted to take a passenger side to compare, but he didn't have time and needed to take off.

What's the deal? I told him I wouldn't worry about it as far as safety is concerned...however I definitely wouldn't be diving into any turns until we get that addressed. I notice with the Pedders setup they change the design of the end links where they're more like a Z instead of a L...see below image
Pedders...

compared to stock..

Now if he gets the Pedders adjustable coilovers...it'll fix that issue...and if not...I'll still tell him to buy new end links anyways...shoot...if he doesn't do the coilovers he might have enough money to do strut/springs and f/r sway bars which'll come with endlinks...so either way we'll address the issue...I'm just wondering what the heck is up with this design!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first one isn't for a GTO. The second one isn't stock but the Pedders one and is ridiculously expensive. Lovells makes a nice one
Old 11-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Launching!

the first one is for the pedders strut...endlink position is redesigned

I'm looking at Lovells now thanks

Any thoughts about the loose endlink the way it sits now?
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something doesn't sound right about it like the washers aren't on it right or are missing or the bushings are damaged. Get the Lovells ones and you'll be happy with it
Old 11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
Launching!

We're probably going to stick with Pedders XA Coilovers. After buying lovells setup + new endlinks, we're still looking at just over a grand. a little more and get fully adjustable coilovers from Pedders is a worthwhile effort....as they come with new endlinks anyways.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98_TA_EMLC
Alright guys, so I'm looking for some help here.

I'm helping a buddy with his 06 GTO (gorgeous btw), and he was complaining about the front driver side feeling very sloppy and hearing knocking noise coming from it. He was wondering if it was just a bad shock or what...he knew the previous owner had the passenger shock replaced already...but not the driver side...wierd, but ok...

When he got to the house, the first thing I did was push down on the passenger side, it felt pretty tight and firm, went over to the driver side, and there was a big noticable difference in the shock compression...it compressed much easier. So that I figure was just the strut...He wants to upgrade them, so we'll probably take care of that then....(I'm pushing him towards Pedders Ext XA Adjustable Coilover setup).

Now here's the bigger issue I saw...the top end of the end link that connects to the strut was COMPLETELY loose! I figured I'd solved the issue and would just tighten it down...but after looking at it closely, there were no more threads to tighten the bolt down any further...so there was no way of tightening it down. Is that the factory design? Does he have an end link that's wrong? The end link upper bushing was rather compressed...so that could account for some, but don't think that would account for the 1/2? of play in there. Note...this is with the driver side jacked up so suspension there was at full droop. I wanted to take a passenger side to compare, but he didn't have time and needed to take off.

What's the deal? I told him I wouldn't worry about it as far as safety is concerned...however I definitely wouldn't be diving into any turns until we get that addressed. I notice with the Pedders setup they change the design of the end links where they're more like a Z instead of a L...see below image
Pedders...

compared to stock..

Now if he gets the Pedders adjustable coilovers...it'll fix that issue...and if not...I'll still tell him to buy new end links anyways...shoot...if he doesn't do the coilovers he might have enough money to do strut/springs and f/r sway bars which'll come with endlinks...so either way we'll address the issue...I'm just wondering what the heck is up with this design!

The first ones are the pedders endlinks for the coilovers ONLY. The others are from Kollar racing HD endlinks they will work on stock struts. I running the pedders coilovers I like them but if the price is too steep theres BC racing coilovers.

Last edited by derbs; 11-08-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Loose Endlinks??? Need help from suspension people