Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Compare: GTO vs. C5

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compare: GTO vs. C5

Hey guys,

I'm currently in college but should be ready to purchase a new toy here within a year or so.

Noticing how cheap 05-06 LS2 A4 GTO's are nowadays and how they are more practical than C5's because of the backseats, how would you guys compare the two cars?

Compare ride, braking, acceleration, overall fit and finish, car feel, ease of performance parts installation, etc.

Preferably guys who have had both cars or either cars. Looking to upgrade from my 97 WS6 f-body

Thanks so much guys,
Marc
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
Hey guys,

I'm currently in college but should be ready to purchase a new toy here within a year or so.

Noticing how cheap 05-06 LS2 A4 GTO's are nowadays and how they are more practical than C5's because of the backseats, how would you guys compare the two cars?

Compare ride, braking, acceleration, overall fit and finish, car feel, ease of performance parts installation, etc.

Preferably guys who have had both cars or either cars. Looking to upgrade from my 97 WS6 f-body

Thanks so much guys,
Marc
Hi Marc,
I'm also a former owner of a F-Body. I can tell you also that I've driven and been in both C5/C6's and currently have an 06' GTO A4. I had a nice deal on it with less than 10k miles on her.

Definitely.. the interior is hands down nicer to me imo over the C5/C6. The seats are very well bolstered, and hold you in nicely. These GTO's seem to feel a tad bit heavier than the Corvette/F-Bodies.

Performance wise I'd say my Trans/Am felt quicker, but the GTO's are boats compared to the F-Bodies/Corvettes. Mid range on an LS2 is awesome when cruising. Bottom end power comes on crisp and without a hesitation. Drive Quality in the GTO seems to be more comfortable over the C6/F-Bodies. The LS2 seems more responsive and smooth power delivery over the LS1.

Styling, I'd say some people say the GTO looks like an oversized "grocery getter" with a nice large engine. I prefer the 05/06's over the 04's, but thats just my personal preference. Left to be desired or not, the cowl hood on the 05/06's seem to make it feel a bit more aggressive muscular edge over the flat hooded 04's. The dual exit exhaust and rear valence is a nice clean touch over the single 04 position.

When it comes down to it, it's your call; but I can attest that I much prefer the GTO over a Corvette. Plus, you get the motor, and 4 seats. Which helps a bunch.

Good Luck Marc with your future purchase
Old 11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Teching In

GTO all the way !!

C5's just suck.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

See, you've got 2 Spice Red Metallic owners telling you GTO all day long!
GTO, you won't regret it
Everyone knows SRM is the sexiest color..fastest too (one of the rarest of shades also)
Old 11-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Launching!

BOM FTW! there is a gto tax, just like the vette tax. the only parts that are cheap is the engine and trans. the rest is $$$
Old 11-10-2010, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bondosgto
BOM FTW! there is a gto tax, just like the vette tax. the only parts that are cheap is the engine and trans. the rest is $$$
I'll admit that dude. The Brazen Orange is amazing. I was either going to get that or the SRM. The Barbados Blue is also a a fav of mine. Pontiac should have made a white shade imo. I've seen a few custom white painted GTOs (05/06) and their sexy. $$$Gotta pay to play$$$
Old 11-10-2010, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both an 03 Z06 and an 04 GTO,and owned 3 f-body's in the past.
The C5 Z06 being over 500 lbs lighter feels amazing in the acceleration,brakeing and cornering dept.
I'd suggest you drive both(with traction control off).
Dom
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

"Would it kill ya to buy American".. awesome stuff
Why can't all Canadians be like you Chopper??
I'd like to visit Canada someday.. I think these cars have a nice following up there as they do in the States.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

We'll see what happens. I test drove an 06 A4 GTO and loved it. I still feel like I'd be yearning for a LS2 C6 Z51 A6 if I bought a GTO but we'll see what happens. The GTO definitely drove nice and had smooth power and wasn't a rattle trap like most f-bodies.

Knowing that I feel like I still would yearn for a C6 makes me consider waiting. If I had shelled out the extra coin when I bought my 97 Ws6 for a 00 Ws6 I was looking at, I probably would have stuck with the f-bodies.

Thanks for all the detailed suggestions guys!
Old 11-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

The "backseat" is nice but the biggest thing that's been back there in my year of ownership was my gym bag. (mostly my hat/jacket)

They're two different types of cars. Goat is more of a lazy cruiser and the vette is nimble lion.
Old 11-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

C5 = Performance
GTO = DD
Old 11-10-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
We'll see what happens. I test drove an 06 A4 GTO and loved it. I still feel like I'd be yearning for a LS2 C6 Z51 A6 if I bought a GTO but we'll see what happens. The GTO definitely drove nice and had smooth power and wasn't a rattle trap like most f-bodies.

Knowing that I feel like I still would yearn for a C6 makes me consider waiting. If I had shelled out the extra coin when I bought my 97 Ws6 for a 00 Ws6 I was looking at, I probably would have stuck with the f-bodies.

Thanks for all the detailed suggestions guys!

I wonder if the GTO's will turn into rattle traps with age and/or high mileage?
Is there more back seat room with a GTO vs F-body?
Guy a go to drill with has a yellow LS1 GTO that I would like to meet on a empty interstate.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

Well I have an 05 GTO with 117,000 miles on it and its still as sound as the day she came off the assembly line. There were only two problems I've had with it since I've owned it. The passenger headlight went out.(Cheep and Easy Fix) and the power seat relay likes to stop working but if you pull it out and plug it back in it works fine. Common GM problem. Like most people have been saying the GTO is a great daily driver and gets the same looks the C5 does. Now driving both, depends on your driving style. I came from the import world so twisties were something I always consider when driving and the GTO is just to damn tall for all that haha. The C5 is a much better circuit race car. However the older I get the more fun going in a straight line real fast is haha. Bang for your Buck GTO has more to offer, I dont know about you but if I had to climb out of that C5 all day as much as I drive I would have some serious back problems haha.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 PM
TECH Veteran

c5= sports car
GTO= Fat pig, with back seats

Did i mention, I LOVE MY FAT PIG!
Old 11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Follow your signature. " Saving up for your dream c5/c6 "

If you need back seats GTO if not Vette. If your looking for performance Vette. Daily Driver GTO because of the nice interior/ seats. If your not really into interior/seats etc. then Vette
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

CTS-V is were its at...

4 doors (so a real back seat), same power, roughly the same weight (i think the Goats at like 70 pounds lighter), better handling, and its a Cadillac.

GTOs are nice cars, my dad has an 06 M6. but it cant even come close to my LS2 in the corners. and it has similar power potential.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pillion, so I take it you are stationed at Ft. Benning?

Everybody makes very valid points for or against the cars. Keep them coming!

As far as the use, I will have a daily driver truck likely here within the next couple years to tow a camper/jetskiis and the 4x4 will be nice in Iowa winters. This next toy will be no DD; it will be in the garage under a cover during the winters.

I'm just amazed at how cheap GTO's are now considering 05-06 models can be had for $15k now with lower mileage around me. Hell, 05-06 C6's are $25k+ with lower mileage. Thats $10k in mod money! Amazing to see what a couple years does to the value of the car
Old 11-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Teching In

The C5/F body interiors are attrocious, for a lack of better terms. I test drove a C5 before I bought my GTO, and if you DO NOT care about interior, ride quality, or back seats, get the C5. I, however definitly care about interior. Back seats and ride quality, I dont care much about, but the C5's interior alone, was enough for me not to buy it. All that said, I couldnt be happier with my purchase. GTOs all day.
Old 11-11-2010, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like C5s ALOT BUT ID ONLY GET A Z06 OVER A gto.

ive had mine for over 5 yrs and ive enjoyed it everyday. great DD. very comfortable with good power. its not perfect but for its cost its hard to beat.
Old 11-12-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

know we talking bout c5 here, but i ran a c6 stock to stock, and beat him, idk if he bad driver or what, but a win is a win

Quick Reply: Compare: GTO vs. C5