Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Considering a GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 11:47 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering a GTO

In the process of selling my car. Little info on that:
99 Z28, 6 speed, t-tops - lid, LS6 intake, LTs, True Duals, 3.73s, tuned. 103k (daily driver)

The plan was to sell this car to speed up the savings for a front mount turbo kit for a lower mileage f-body, while buying a dirt cheap DD in the mean time. However, lately I have been going back to the GTO. A couple years ago, it was my cheap dream car. Now, I love f-bodies just as much but for different reasons, and I really am stuck. The car I would be looking for is an 05-06 GTO 6 speed. (For the record, I have driven 3 GTOs)

I know this has been covered MANY times, but here are my pros/cons:

GTO pros(+) / cons (-):
+ LS2 (that bigger bore just screams for a stroker not too mention more power)
+ great ride
+ much better build quality

- heavy (I like to hit the track maybe once a month tops)
- no t-tops
- higher payment

F-body pros (+) / cons (-):
+ less weight
+ t-tops
+ cheaper payment

- rattle trap
- shitty ride (don't want to spend money for a good ride instead of power)
- weak rear (already been through a 10bolt bone stock)

So as you can see, it's dead even, 3 a piece. The turbo f-body part would take at least a year to save for, and that's just on the SBE, at which point I'll be in the market for a house so spending that much of money might be a conflict of interest.

2 questions: After doing some searching I'm still stuck on how much the GTO rear will take. Like I said, I will go to the track at least once a month, mostly when new stuff is added.

-Can a DR be run without an expensive repair being inevitable?
-How much work is it to fit a bigger tire, say 285? (some said 3 hours, some said days)
Old 01-06-2011, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick
In the process of selling my car. Little info on that:
99 Z28, 6 speed, t-tops - lid, LS6 intake, LTs, True Duals, 3.73s, tuned. 103k (daily driver)

The plan was to sell this car to speed up the savings for a front mount turbo kit for a lower mileage f-body, while buying a dirt cheap DD in the mean time. However, lately I have been going back to the GTO. A couple years ago, it was my cheap dream car. Now, I love f-bodies just as much but for different reasons, and I really am stuck. The car I would be looking for is an 05-06 GTO 6 speed. (For the record, I have driven 3 GTOs)

GTO pros(+) / cons (-):
+ great ride

- heavy (I like to hit the track maybe once a month tops)
- no t-tops
- higher payment

F-body pros (+) / cons (-):
+ less weight
+ t-tops
+ cheaper payment

- rattle trap
- shitty ride (don't want to spend money for a good ride instead of power)
- weak rear (already been through a 10bolt bone stock)

So as you can see, it's dead even, 3 a piece. The turbo f-body part would take at least a year to save for, and that's just on the SBE, at which point I'll be in the market for a house so spending that much of money might be a conflict of interest.

2 questions: After doing some searching I'm still stuck on how much the GTO rear will take. Like I said, I will go to the track at least once a month, mostly when new stuff is added.

-Can a DR be run without an expensive repair being inevitable?
-How much work is it to fit a bigger tire, say 285? (some said 3 hours, some said days)
I was in your shoes in early October. I had my 98 Trans/Am and had seen countless GTO video, reviews, and gathered opinions by another car guy's mentality. I found a goat for a good deal, called up the dealer, and the very same day I had the keys in my pocket; I've never looked back.

The ride is a vast improvement over the F-Body. The LS2 is IMO a better motor than the LS1 stock for stock. The seats are quite comfortable, and the rear is quite accommodating for a person with a large stature, being I'm 6'3 and have ridden in the back multiple times.

Sure it may look like a grocery getter, but it's "sleeper" looks makes it's appeal more for a professional man's muscle car.

All the best in your potential purchase!
You won't regret it. As long as u can afford it, go for it!
Old 01-06-2011, 03:58 PM
Launching!

Not to mention the back seat is a plus, F-Body rear seat is a joke. The goats rear seats are pretty comfortable and more roomy. Better for passangers.

One thing you didn't mention is its rarity. There are not many goats around and it could be a plus if your one for being different.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WSsick

GTO pros(+) / cons (-):
+ great ride

- heavy (I like to hit the track maybe once a month tops) They are heavy, but I take mine to the track a few times a month and with the LS2 it about evens out compared to an Fbody with an LS1. I haven't got to weigh mine in her race outfit yet.
I'm currently at 12.05 @ 113.5 with a CAI, Intake, Headers/Exhaust, and a tune. So however that sounds to you....

- no t-tops The windows still roll down lol
- higher payment Depends on how much you get one for, and what you consider a "high" payment.

I'm currently at 402/412 and have 80+ passes. Mine is a 6spd and I run 26x10x15 slicks and dump it at around 6k. No problems with my rear. Also DD.

-Can a DR be run without an expensive repair being inevitable? You can run a DR, but a bias ply is alot easier on all the drivetrain parts. The actual REAR END itself is pretty strong. Its just all the gay IRS parts that you have to worry about breaking. I know alot of manual cars that run DRs but the best thing for your parts is gonna be a Bias ply tire.

-How much work is it to fit a bigger tire, say 285? (some said 3 hours, some said days)Depending on what brand you get and the offset of your wheel you can fit a 285. Most people stick on a 275 and just have to roll the rear fender lip, put a little stiffer springs, or run BMR Drag Bags.
The widest I've seen, without a mini tub, is a 295 but that is with a BFH mod.

LS1gto.com is really the best place to look for all your gto answers though. If you're thinking about it, someone has already done it.
Old 01-06-2011, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the input guys. Keep it comin'.

I lurk over on ls1gto btw.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Teching In

I've own my GTO for a year now and it's an outstanding car. Moding these cars can be pricey(not alot of options), But just in the last year alone I've seen tons of new parts come out for this platform. GTO's have a few small problems( ign switch,saggy rear springs,front rr bush). But everyone knows about these things, you fix'em at first and your done no big deal..... prices have dropped( I bought my 04 m6 with 3k miles for 18k) Powerful(ls1 or ls2) Great ride quality and handling(IRS that why they weight a little more, but easy to remove 200lbs) Quality fit'n finish. Best seats and interior. Maybe to some the look is a negative. I agree yes the GTO isn't a flashy/stand outish car. It looks good just doesn't stand out, which has saved my *** twice now. But remember these cars came out before the whole mustang retro look started. So yah there you go my .02cents. sorry if it look bad I'm on my phone.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ive owned an 04 and loved it, even with 350hp. Its just a nice driving car. Interior is in another league than the F bods. Seats are great.
IRS is good for handling as you can get negative camber in the rear too. Heavy though.
285's can be fit on the back using 9.5" wheels with around +52-54 offset. Mintubbing the front half of the wheelwell can get 315's, full minitub can fit 335/345 (Im doing one now on an 06). 335's will cause it to be unbalanced though so not for a autocross car.

The rear is fairly strong, some using it to 800rwhp. Axles and stubs are fairly weak though, as is the two piece driveshaft and rubber couplers (bolts bend too)

Another minus over the Fbod is its harder to throw a turbo on it as the engine compartment is a little tighter. Supercharger is easy though.

Get the GTO, you wont regret it.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:59 PM
12 Second Club

So are these suspension issues the reason people always say "you'll spend a fortune on Pedders stuff before anything else"?? I really don't want to be buying parts to fix manufacturer's screw ups.

Not really into any type of racing where handling becomes a big factor, may take a corner quick here and there, but not to the point where I need a good handling car to keep me on the road.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unless you're doing a COMPLETE overhaul for the suspension, you're not going to spend a bunch of money.

Rear springs, some bushings, thats all thats NECESSARY. Alot of guys get carried away with a complete suspension overhaul, but for what you need, $500.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

That makes me feel MUCH better. I did some searching over on ls1gto...didn't know the stock record was 12.6x. Pretty damn good, ahead of the f-body time by a good amount. Only reason I'd be against slicks is longevity. Love to run a DR, but not sure if the potential risk is worth thee reward.

I know it's a long shot, but I'd like to find out around $15k at/around/under 50k which is definitely a task, let alone finding a color I would like (SRM). I'd be happy with almost any color, but I just don't want that payment soaring up over 350/m. I'd love for it to be around 300/m but that'll be tough. Might have to wait a longggg time for a deal to come around. Private Party on a 6 speed w/ 50k on the clock is right around $15k though...
Old 01-07-2011, 04:53 AM
On The Tree

I love Spice Red Metallic. I have one 06' A4 11k on the clock. my payment is around 320 some. I got it for a steal. Did I mention the color looks sick in the sun, and sexy at night. The metallic flake really sparkles.
Old 01-07-2011, 02:23 PM
12 Second Club

I'm not dead set on SRM, but I'd love to find one. I'd pay a little extra for one even, but not much. I really would be willing to jump at any deal I can find, as long as its an LS2 6 speed.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

I so wish GM would've made a White Goat. That with the red interior combo would look so sick! IMO at least I love Barbados Blue, even Torrid Red. The Metallic Grey isn't bad.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get a GTO. You'll love it and it's fun having a car that is fairly rare.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

It was about 3am, pitch dark, nice crisp 42 degrees outdoors clear skies. I rolled up to a light. Opposite direction I saw a Torrid Red 05/06 GTO pull up to his red light. We were there for about 2 minutes, but I watched him, as I'm sure he saw me drive past...
Luckily no police were around us, so I just laid into it a little and the growl of the Goat sang its swan song down the boulevard. Moments like that make a gear head smile. Sure it was 40 some degrees out, but my window was cracked down half way as to listen to the cam, and engine lurch until the drop of the throttle came to life. GTOs are rare enough that to me it's a special time to spot another rolling down the streets.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Launching!

In my town at least I seem to be the only person who owns this car...I have yet to see another, and I constantly get asked "wow what is that!?" It makes you feel special haha!

but don't let that be the only reason, the car is a joy to drive, fast, fun, all the while being subtle.... mind the head room though, I'm not even 5ft3 and hit my damn head all the time!!
Old 01-08-2011, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I'm 6'3 and I don't find it too bad for the headroom. yeah, subtle is an understatement, even more so for the 04's. They just look like boats with 2 doors and a pontiac badge. I love mine, and will continue to do so.
Old 01-09-2011, 11:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ive enjoyed mine alot.

its just time for something else.
Old 01-09-2011, 10:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ChefTA
I'm 6'3 and I don't find it too bad for the headroom. yeah, subtle is an understatement, even more so for the 04's. They just look like boats with 2 doors and a pontiac badge. I love mine, and will continue to do so.
Every time I get in and out haha...
Old 01-10-2011, 08:59 AM
Teching In

I have both cars. to me they are a world apart. the camaro has more of a rough ride and the way it rides make's it easier to handle. the seat of the pants feel it has, makes it a good road car to drive fast. you can feel the road better. the gto feels much more refined. but, the independent rear takes away some the feel of the road. the brakes feel a little weird to me to. they work good, it's the pedal travel that bothers me somtimes. it does feel more like a normal car because your not sitting on the ground.

If I had to choose one, I would go with the gto. it's just a better car to live with.

Quick Reply: Considering a GTO