Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 GTO Ignition Key/Shifter Issue- Security?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 2004 GTO Ignition Key/Shifter Issue- Security?

I just bought a wrecked 2004 GTO (automatic trans, hit in front and still movable but totaled) and am having a weird problem with it.

The car was delivered yesterday and the seller started it up on the trailer, put in gear and drove it off, no problem. The battery was dead so he used a jumper box.

After he left I pulled the battery, charged it for a few hours and put it back in the car. It's got plenty of charge now. You can start the car easily no problem and it runs fine, but:

1) The ignition key will not rotate all the way back to be pulled out unless the battery is disconnected. Once the battery is disconnected, the key rotates back to the pull out position and comes out

And

2) The shifter can't be moved out of park at all, battery connected or not. With the battery connected and my foot on and off the brake I can hear the shifter lockout solenoid clicking, and can see it moving (I partially removed the console to see that).

Is there some security feature triggered by maybe the BCM that is doing this? The car will ultimately be pulled apart as a donor for a swap anyway, so it's not a long term issue, but it would be nice to know now so I can still move the car around.....

Anyone see this before?

Thanks
Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old post,what did you find out? i saw same thing in a 05 gto.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a a lock down on the shifter under the shifter boot that might have the power cut, or be jaded loose....if you pop the top off the center console you can get right to it and pull/push it opened with your finger, or even take it out to let the car shift out of park and into gear

Quick Reply: 2004 GTO Ignition Key/Shifter Issue- Security?