Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

I did it

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did it

New GTO owner here. Traded in my high mileage Lightning for a black 06 GTO. 66k miles. auto. AEM intake, and i believe the catback is still stock, although it sounds fairly loud. I love this thing. The interior is amazing and the power is linear, smooth, and strong.

I have a newb question. The stock exhaust, as far as I have read, flows extremely well. Has anyone cut off the mufflers attached to the tips, or swapped the mid-muffler? I want it louder. The car will not be modified any further as I have a 3 year warranty on it. I bought the car to be a nice, comfortable, and fast DD.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

my friend put flowmasters on his and it sounded great. he added shorties against my advice lol but it sounded badass with them.

im not a fan of aluminum CAIs myself.

nice car though.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks nice man, just bought a black 04 myself last week, loving the car as well. As far as a fast daily driver... ehh I dont no.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Nice DD. You have a lot of choices for exhausts and everyone has a different opinion on what's better. Flowmaster, Magnaflow, Borla, GMMG are the most popular off the top of my head. GMMG would be the loudest and Magnaflow the quietest.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
my friend put flowmasters on his and it sounded great. he added shorties against my advice lol but it sounded badass with them.

im not a fan of aluminum CAIs myself.

nice car though.
it was on it when I bought it. When the weather clears up I want to pull the AEM sticker off and maybe powdercoat or polish the pipe

Originally Posted by blue0453
looks nice man, just bought a black 04 myself last week, loving the car as well. As far as a fast daily driver... ehh I dont no.
I know it would have destroyed my Lightning. I shouldn't have said fast, maybe "quick". high 12s, low 13s is still faster than many cars on the road.

As far as the catback goes, I want to keep the stock tips. I tried searching youtube. Would a 2.5 inch magnaflow x pipe fit where the suitcase muffler is underneath? Or am I better off cutting off the stock muffs/res's going into the tips? Or should I just replace the stock muffs with spintechs?
Old 03-10-2011, 06:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Beautiful car bro! And as far as exhaust, hands down, Spintech is the greatest sounding exhaust ever created, the IMHO, gto and spintech were made for each other!
Old 03-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Congratulations on your new purchase.

Spintech FTW !!
Old 03-10-2011, 10:16 PM
Launching!

I actually was in the same boat as you but i took the leap today and put 2 magnaflow resonators in today im happy with that now im wondering if i should put the mufflex x pipe in on the magnaflow xpipe
Old 03-10-2011, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
Beautiful car bro! And as far as exhaust, hands down, Spintech is the greatest sounding exhaust ever created, the IMHO, gto and spintech were made for each other!
+2 on the spintech.. hands down best sound.. i currently have straight pipe but am looking at getting the spintech axle back. As for the tips the borla looks sick because they are the only ones to offer the 5'' tips (i think). Looks amazing
Old 03-10-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
+2 on the spintech.. hands down best sound.. i currently have straight pipe but am looking at getting the spintech axle back. As for the tips the borla looks sick because they are the only ones to offer the 5'' tips (i think). Looks amazing
yea, the car will remain basically stock, and pfyc has the 2 spintech mufflers for 149.95, so I think I'll go that route. I also want to get the center gauge pod and add an Oil PSI gauge and a Volt Gauge. For the Oil, should I go mechanical or electrical?
Old 03-10-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

also, is stolenfox a member on here? I"m interested in his H pipes
Old 03-11-2011, 01:14 AM
12 Second Club

Good luck with the new car. I have an 05 black with auto and it gets about 15 m.p.g. combined check yours to see what it gets. There is a guy in stone park that hooks up an ipod outlet into your stock stereo for cheap and while you wait. I will try to find his info for you. I willl probably see you around since i live nw side of chicago
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 AM
Teching In

^^ you beam boauhman (or however is user id is spelled). That's something I need to get done too. I'm way north though - in Grayslake. Maybe I'll be heading there in a couple weeks when I get the car out.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 AM
TECH Veteran

electrical gauges only

running fluids inside the car is a thing of the past. I know, I know, its been done for years. And i know, the electrical gauge is pretty easily 100 dollars more. Piece of mind is priceless.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:43 AM
On The Tree

Nice car grats :-D Good choice of color also :-D HEHEHE
Old 03-11-2011, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by builder1
Good luck with the new car. I have an 05 black with auto and it gets about 15 m.p.g. combined check yours to see what it gets. There is a guy in stone park that hooks up an ipod outlet into your stock stereo for cheap and while you wait. I will try to find his info for you. I willl probably see you around since i live nw side of chicago
I would love his info, i had an ipod hookup in my truck. I miss having one. LOL
Old 03-11-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Welcome to the herd!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks! Are there any x pipes or h pipes available for the stock exhaust besides stolen fox? I'm already part of enough boards, I don't feel like signing up for another one to hunt him down.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by GreenBlood
also, is stolenfox a member on here? I"m interested in his H pipes
SF has been gone for a long time...you "might" find him on the G8 boards, that is the last I heard of him. Any shop can fab you a H-Pipe...don't go X-Pipe, X is far too raspy sounding, H has that nice deep musclecar tone to it.

Originally Posted by mike_v
^^ you beam boauhman (or however is user id is spelled). That's something I need to get done too. I'm way north though - in Grayslake. Maybe I'll be heading there in a couple weeks when I get the car out.
Bohnman (resides on LS1GTO.com) does tons of mods...cluster light changing, AUX input on stock radio, lighted GTO door sill, etc. etc.....very good guy to deal with.

I do encourage you to join LS1GTO.com....it is more vehicle specific than Tech...find alot more info on GTO's over there.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 AM
10 Second Club

congrats on the buy. im runnung flowmaster 1 chambers where the resonators used to be and dumps right off the flows. im sure you wouldnt want this on a daily driver though. for the money spintech or flowmaster axle back kits would probly sound the loudest.

Quick Reply: I did it