Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

key in ignition?? no it's not... HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key in ignition?? no it's not... HELP!

Hi Guys!

I just became a 2006 Blue GTO owner and love it. Just got delivered on Monday. 39,xxx miles on it. Got some nice mobil1 in it and new windshield wipers today, and a car wash. Looking really sexy. Love the blue leather seats, etc. I have a 2002 Firehawk which I pumped up to 700rwhp but it was too loud for my daughter and a bit too loud/bumpy/squeaky for me so I wanted a nice (quiet) daily driver and will keep the hawk for the weekend and for racing.

Here's my prob, and I've checked the manual and basically it just looks like something is jacked. When I open the driver door I get a constant beeping noise as if the key is in the ignition. I assure you it is not :-). The problem besides the beeping (but directly related to my problem) is the odometer and clock lcd stay on (nice and green) when I exit the car and without the key in the ignition. The headlights OTOH turn off right away when I open the door. The battery protection kicks in after an hour and the LCDs shut off. I noticed the interior lights (side door lights and light on the roof) didn't work as well, so I replaced the fuse today and sure enough they all fired up. Problem is they don't turn off when I turn off the car and exit, etc. I'm sure they do after an hour but I don't want to run the battery down and plus it looks . So I've taken the fuse out to disable the interior lights until I get this fixed.

Any ideas?
Old 04-12-2011, 10:22 PM

One other thing. I was just fishing for a solution and wondered if another fuse was potentially causing the issue. I pulled out the Interior Illumination Relay fuse and that seemed to change absolutely nothing. Because it changed nothing does anybody think that means it might be the problem? I don't see how it would change the constant beeping though. FYI the beeping goes away when the driver door is closed.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Turn off the lights switch full out, that's I can think of, but all gto & such like cars we have here back in middle east (Lumina & Caprice & CR8) have an issue of the windows power won't turn off & will stay on with the green light for ever =s ... Is that factory ? I Hope NOT !! But if I were u I'd want to check for ground faults too while I'm @ it !!
Old 04-13-2011, 01:15 AM
12 Second Club

Is the cd player still on too?
Old 04-13-2011, 02:05 AM
Staging Lane

pull the relay under the hood for the daytime running lights, I had to do this on mine.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

the Body Control Module on the car has a primitive exit procedure.... by that i mean the computer tries to see if you are in the car or not by a series of actions.....

the "exit procedure" is key off.... key out... open door.... shut door... lock....

try disconnecting the battery for a few hours and doing the "exit procedure" see if that helps..... may or may not
Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

Check the wires from the BCM behind the glovebox make sure none of them are shorting out. This has been the cause of alot of weird shyt that i know of. Windows not working, shorting out interior lights, etc.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeyelbows
Check the wires from the BCM behind the glovebox make sure none of them are shorting out. This has been the cause of alot of weird shyt that i know of. Windows not working, shorting out interior lights, etc.
This is a common problem.

Originally Posted by NicD
Alright so in the last two weeks I have seen three cases where the BCM fuse popped, the car just died, or things like windows/door locks randomly would not work and then work again. Looking on the big boards people have found it to be the BCM wiring harness that rubs against the metal support behind the glove box and many were saying it's only an 04 issue but it's every year. The first two that I heard of locally were 05-06 cars and I just checked mine and it was on it's way with a few of the wires being visible and damn near rubbed through already. Below are a few blurry pictures showing the harness and what I did to remedy it. If it hasn't happened to you I GUARANTEE IT WILL in the future so fix it now before you are buying a new BCM, etc.

What I saw when I pulled the glove box.

What I saw when I pushed the harness back.

I electrical taped the harness up and cut a length of rubber hose to wrap over it, then zip tied it tight so it won't go anwhere. I also put a few strips of electrical tape over the sharp metal edges of the support bracket that was rubbing it.
I think I might make a sticky about this one to make sure everyone checks this out, especially on 04's.

Last edited by GTOSE; 04-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I took the car into the dealership and asked them to change the BCM to shut down after 10 minutes rather than the original factory setting.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by impulsegoat
Is the cd player still on too?
no, I made sure to turn the radio off. In fact since it thinks the key is in the ignition, when I turn off the car and exit, the radio will keep playing! and at night the radio LCD is nice and green, even when it's "off".

Gonna try some of the things people suggested and will post back!
Old 04-15-2011, 01:44 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast02hawk
no, I made sure to turn the radio off. In fact since it thinks the key is in the ignition, when I turn off the car and exit, the radio will keep playing! and at night the radio LCD is nice and green, even when it's "off".

Gonna try some of the things people suggested and will post back!
This leads me to believe its in the ignition release. When u pull the key out it should make a little pop or release sound. I believe its spring loaded and if it isn't working properly then it wont release and will keep the cd player on. If the BCM experimenting doesn't work im betting it has to do with this. Our cars are notorious for the ignition locking up.
Old 04-16-2011, 01:12 AM
Teching In

This leads me to believe its in the ignition release. When u pull the key out it should make a little pop or release sound. I believe its spring loaded and if it isn't working properly then it wont release and will keep the cd player on. If the BCM experimenting doesn't work im betting it has to do with this. Our cars are notorious for the ignition locking up.
The problem with this test is that the radio on the GTO will always stay on if you hit the power button when the car is off. Its just one of the funny quirks about the GTO.

As far as your issue goes I would start checking some voltages on the back side of the ignition switch to find out what has power when. If you switched 12v is always on you may have a bad switch. Are you handy with a multimeter?

There are many ways to diagnose this issue, just start with the easiest and work your way to hard.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:11 PM

This was the problem! I had the dealer replace the ignition cylinder and everything in the car works properly. It's a little strange pulling the key out. The spring or whatever it is seems to be holding onto the key a little bit as I try to pull it out. Not used to that.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:55 AM
12 Second Club

This was the problem! I had the dealer replace the ignition cylinder and everything in the car works properly. It's a little strange pulling the key out. The spring or whatever it is seems to be holding onto the key a little bit as I try to pull it out. Not used to that.
Ya it sounded like the same thing mine was doing when mine started going bad. I'm glad that was the fix for you.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah the way the key comes out takes some getting used to...glad to hear you got the problem fixed, though.

Quick Reply: key in ignition?? no it's not... HELP!