Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Problems with front O2 sensors after LT Header install

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with front O2 sensors after LT Header install

I just put a set of Dynatech long tube headers on my 04 last week and have been getting a P0135, P0155 heater circuit fault code. It's on both bank 1 and 2, sensor 1. Anyone else have this same problem after installing long tubes? The car runs real rich, fuel milage is way down, and hesitating.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to look into getting the Corvette o2 sensors... they are moved farther down stream so it works the heaters more and will kill a weak o2.

The Corvette sensors are alitttle stronger or go with Bosch...can't remember the part number
Old 04-14-2011, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

get it tuned..i played w mine and am not getting codes anymore but still run on the rich side. mileage down about 2-3mpg. im gonna wait till i cam it to get mine dyno tuned. good luck
Old 04-14-2011, 08:41 AM
Teching In

Does it matter what year corvette? I had Lew Eaton from Diablo to send me a custom tune friday nite, but it didnt help with the heater problem. It wont go into a closed loop cycle the way it is. Just keeps dumping fuel to it. It makes it fould the plugs and misfire, hesitates going down the road.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pro7972
Does it matter what year corvette? I had Lew Eaton from Diablo to send me a custom tune friday nite, but it didnt help with the heater problem. It wont go into a closed loop cycle the way it is. Just keeps dumping fuel to it. It makes it fould the plugs and misfire, hesitates going down the road.
get a real tune. have them tune out the o2 sensors all together. problem solved.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM
On The Tree

I know this is an old post but i'm having the same issue. I am also throwing front knock sensor code but I think thats from the bad hesitation. Pro, did you get it tuned and did that help?

Thanks
Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by waxenate
I know this is an old post but i'm having the same issue. I am also throwing front knock sensor code but I think thats from the bad hesitation. Pro, did you get it tuned and did that help?

Thanks
I didnt have the problem, but I've seen where after a header install some people have had to turn the sensitivity of their knock sensors down because of the resonance coming back through the headers.....known as "false knock"....things you need to do first are check to be sure your knock sensors are good, and run a few gallons of unleaded race gas through the engine......if you are still getting the knock with good sensors and race gas its a very good chance that it truly is false knock and you can turn your sensitivity back a little.

But never turn your knock sensors off, and if you replace one, do your self a favor and replace both while you have the intake off.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After my headers, before my tune, I burnt a set out. Just a problem with it running too rich is my guess
Old 05-21-2012, 08:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Mark for the info. I'm getting a low return only on the front sensor. Rear is showing nothing. Probably will just replace both to be sure. This is a father son project so it's not like I have to drive it to work anytime soon and he doesn't have a job yet to put gas in it any way! Lol I think I will also replace the o2 sensors just to be sure and I'm pretty sure they hadn't been changes in a while.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Problems with front O2 sensors after LT Header install