Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Shifter Rattle / Noise Help

Old 09-30-2011, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifter Rattle / Noise Help

I have a myself a 2006 M6. I have about 41k miles on it, with a stock shifter. The problem started all the sudden yesterday. Driving down a hill going about 80-90 MPH. I started to a loud rattle coming from my shifter. The faster I went the louder it got. The best way to describe the noise is like putting a baseball card against a bicycle spoke. There is slight noise and vibration between 70-80 mph. Below 70 is quiet. All the gears feel the same. Does not drive any different than it did a week ago. I even tried to see if being in different gears made a difference. Same noise from 4 - 6 gears at the same speeds. Neutral appeared to be worse. It does appear a littler quieter if I am accelerating, but engine noise could be drowning it out. It is loud though.

I removed the boot and checked to make sure the 10mm bolts connecting the shifter were tight, they were. I have checked the under the car and did not find any loose bolts or anything out of order.

Has anyone had a problem like this before? I have read about shifter noise but this only happens past 80 mph. To be clear is not like at exactly 80, but is always starts around 80.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Did you check both sets of mounting bolts on top of the tranny? It is a remote shifter. Either way the stock shifter should be replaced because it is notoiously known to cause a mis-shift.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:20 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Shifter rattle is more common with some of the aftermarket shifters. I'm even about to recommend one that people have said rattles, too: the GMM Rip Shift street version.

The factory shifter is a complex pile of garbage and there's a very good chance something is loose or bent and causing this vibration. Buy an aftermarket shifter and never look back. The GMM race is in my GTO and while it does have some issues that I've fixed over time, it's probably the best shifter on the market made for the car right now. The Billet Pro from Oz is no longer being sold to the states...who knows why. That was a terrific shifter as well. Your other options are B&M - which people break fairly often, the Hurst - which is nice but can't use the factory shift ball unless modified (people have broken these too), and finally the Holden HSV shifter which is better than stock, but not by much.

I run the race and like it a lot but others prefer the street because it reuses the factory sound deadening material.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 10-02-2011, 05:58 AM
On The Tree

yes go with an aftermarket shifter and never look back dont buy a B&M ripper shifter yeah the price looks good butt they are junk ive broke 2 in one yr long story on why i bout another. also there is one more shifter you can go with the mgw shifter it takes him a couple weeks to build one but its worth it great shifter in my book
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM
Staging Lane

Yup. Go with the MGW-p shifter. It is arguably the best out there now. I have a Hurst but I did have to modify it so that it wouldn't stick when it heated up from the trans.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:57 PM
Teching In

if it's louder when you're in neutral...maybe it's your throwout bearing...does it get louder with the clutch out in neutral compared to when the clutch is in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shifter Rattle / Noise Help