Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Trunk lid issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 09:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk lid issues

Just discovered the trunk lid on my 06 will not latch. I searched the net and found suggestions to adjust the rubber stops and the latch loop, neither of which proved to help. Looks like my trunk is not perfectly centered between the fenders. I put my phone on video record inside the trunk and it looks like the latch is not close enough to the loop to engage.
Anyone know how to make sideways alignment adjustment to the trunk lid or know why this would happen, I haven't hit anything? TIA
Old 10-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Launching!

I had my striker actually ( the metal loop) break on me.... I just recently installed a new one myself but the damn part was 46 bucks...!? Just simply unscrew the striker and move it to where you need it to be, it does move left and right...I know you said you already tried this but it may take some trial and error until you have it right... took me nearly 20 minutes.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:46 AM
Teching In

Have you recently fiddled with the rear seat near the passenger side headrest? The emergencey release cable is under the headrest and i have seen people cause that cable to pull slightly not letting the latch engage.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RedfoxGTO
I had my striker actually ( the metal loop) break on me.... I just recently installed a new one myself but the damn part was 46 bucks...!? Just simply unscrew the striker and move it to where you need it to be, it does move left and right...I know you said you already tried this but it may take some trial and error until you have it right... took me nearly 20 minutes.
Tried moving the striker/loop over all the way to it's limit. Still the latch is too far over to the driver side to engage. Would hate to use a bunge cord for this as a temp fix. What gets me is my trunk lid is perfectly square with the fenders but what appears to be about 1/8" gap on driver side and about 3/8" on passenger side. Bugs the crap out of me that this just suddenly happened. I can manually lock and unlock the latch (unlock with the key fob) so the latch is ok.
Would pouring some Fosters in the trunk help?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Loosen the trunk lid bolts and move back to the center.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Buzzmanb12
Is the adjustment on the lid to hinge or body to hinge? Sorry for the silly questions but kind of in a transition where I can't readily get to my tools
Old 10-18-2011, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Oh and Lane did a heck of job on my LSx RX7 a few years back, just saw your profile
Old 10-20-2011, 11:48 AM
TECH Regular

You can adjust a small bit on the lid bolts. I don't think that is the problem though. Mine quit latching a while ago and it was the loop/catch at the bottom. I had to adjust it 5-6 times to get it right. I ended up using a heavier duty washer to keep the loop from moving. Yours may also be that the catch part on the trunk lid has moved, try to see if you can slide that around some. I believe it is held in place with torx bolts.

I probably turned wrenches on your car then. He does some awesome stuff with LSx's. What car/motor do you have?
Old 10-20-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Default My motor

Motor pic!
Attached Thumbnails Trunk lid issues-goat-motor.jpg  
Old 10-20-2011, 12:07 PM
TECH Regular

Default Better pic of motor

All one off single front mount 76mm Turbo and hand made sheet metal intake both done by Lane Culver.
Attached Thumbnails Trunk lid issues-goatmotor.jpg  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Launching!

Open palms.. apply face, that's what id do at this point.
Old 10-22-2011, 03:08 PM
Teching In

You can adjust a small bit on the lid bolts. I don't think that is the problem though. Mine quit latching a while ago and it was the loop/catch at the bottom. I had to adjust it 5-6 times to get it right. I ended up using a heavier duty washer to keep the loop from moving. Yours may also be that the catch part on the trunk lid has moved, try to see if you can slide that around some. I believe it is held in place with torx bolts.

I probably turned wrenches on your car then. He does some awesome stuff with LSx's. What car/motor do you have?
Mine was a red 94 touring with a 2002 LS1/T56, this was back in '04. Did a TR cam and long tubes, CAI and some other goodies. 390 rwhp @ 2600lbs was fun. Sold it in '05 to a guy in El Paso TX who hydrolocked the motor about a month after he bought it
Old 10-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

All one off single front mount 76mm Turbo and hand made sheet metal intake both done by Lane Culver.
Wow, very nice
Old 10-24-2011, 01:26 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem on my 04 gto where the car looked like it had been rear ended and there was a gap big enough on the passenger side seem where I could fit my index finger in it. That trunk is heavy as hell on that car, and after a while the struts tend to wear a bit making it slam hard when you close it. I took off the panel cover on the backside of the trunk lid and adjusted the hinges bolted on the lid. It took a few tries to get it aligned correctly, but it fixed the issue. Goodluck man.

Quick Reply: Trunk lid issues