Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

more clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default more clutch issues

so if anyone keeps up with the few threads i have posted. i had a new slave cylinder installed about 2 months ago. tonight, i raced a turbo miata. when i shifted from 3rd to 4th, the clutch felt like it was moving very slowly when i jumped the pedal. does it need to be bled? i checked the fluid and it seemed pretty dirty. maybe i should flush it? or could my clutch be cooked?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the clutch felt like it was moving slowly?

Like the clutch disc had slowed way down when you reengaged it
or slow like the movement of the slave cylinder was slow?

Stock clutch, master cylinder, etc....?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:04 AM
On The Tree

stock everything. oem replacement slave. when my foot was no longer on the pedal, the clutch was trying to reengage very slowly maybe i should get ticks master cylinder?
Old 12-02-2011, 10:16 AM
11 Second Club

Start with actually bleeding the fluid and see if the problem persists.

Or your clutch might be toast. If it feels like its engaging slowly, it could be slipping and taking a second to completely clamp down. Which would give you that feeling.
Old 12-02-2011, 10:37 AM
12 Second Club

Bleeding the hydraulics is cheap so it would be a good place to start but I'm betting on the clutch. If the pedal is returning slowly it's more than likely the pressure plate springs not pushing the slave piston back hard enough. The stock one was prone to do that at high RPM possibly through centrifugal force holding it up.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

pedal comes up fine. just the clutch engaged slowly. it only has 3x,xxx miles on it. i just talked to a few local people and they say its cause the stock master cylinder is very restrictive. i was advised to get the tick adjustable.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The stock master cylinder is junk, no question. There are a myriad of improvements that you'll notice when you upgrade to one of our Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinders, seen here: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...6-pontiac-gto/
Old 12-08-2011, 01:41 PM
12 Second Club

I've been running a stock master and have none of the issues the OP describes. It's been great "junk". I'd put my money on he needs a clutch. "Only" 3x,xxx is a lot of miles on a clutch, especially if it is run like it was a performance car and it's a stock or like-stock clutch. I only got 18,000 on my stock clutch. A few trips to the drag strip and it was done. You will find a lot of people running the stock master hard but not many running the clutch that long unless it's a considerably upgraded one.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:16 PM

did you really replace slave without a clutch kit this is one of those (while im in there) moments your m/c is fine but ticks are worth the money after your new clutch,piolet bearing , presser plate, disk , i have a monster stage 2 and is sweet disk is kevlar coated, plate and disk are over sized ,remote bledder,you can get ss clutch lines with this kit and it will have you tick m/c from ticks site

Quick Reply: more clutch issues