Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

High Mileage Goat

Old 12-06-2011, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High Mileage Goat

I am looking at an 05 M6 GTO with around 110,xxx miles on it this weekend. It's priced around 10k, exterior looks a little beat up but nothing I can't fix.I believe its still on the stock clutch, tires would most likely need replacing as well. Other than that I don't know too much about it without looking at the car in person or driving it.

So, my question is do I need to worry about a high mileage LS2?

Is it worth 10K ?

Sorry for my ignorance, I just don't know much about GTOs...all I have seen on searches is to check the suspension
Old 12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Whether you should worry about the high mileage motor greatly depends on how it was treated. If it's 110k easy highway miles with regular oil changes, it still has some life. If it's 110k by someone that thrashed the motor and made multiple passes, it might not last much longer. You really should take a good look at the motor, undercarriage, etc. to get a feel for how the car was treated.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Robofuzz
Whether you should worry about the high mileage motor greatly depends on how it was treated. If it's 110k easy highway miles with regular oil changes, it still has some life. If it's 110k by someone that thrashed the motor and made multiple passes, it might not last much longer. You really should take a good look at the motor, undercarriage, etc. to get a feel for how the car was treated.
agreed, if the car is heavily modded and its posted on here or another performance gto forum there's a good chance its been used/abused maybe not by the present owner but possibly a few owners back , if its high mileage i would look for something with maybe only a cold air intake and a competent owner, good luck with the car search im looking for a goat as well.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Is this a blk goat in PA by chance?
Old 12-07-2011, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

I would just like to see maintenance records. I know of and personally drove cars that have been flogged since the day they rolled off the line. From what I can tell the LS motors in general with maintenance will last a long time. Now as for the driveline, suspension etc that depends but you can inspect that and get a good idea.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:36 AM
Teching In

Personally I've put 30k miles on mine in the past 2 years, all routine maintenance done. Easy in Texas to rack up miles, but bottom line I just love driving the car!
Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the responses, yeah reading more about GTOs, they seem pretty reliable besides a few issues that pop up here and there.....I want one for a DD, I was mostly looking at 2004s because of price but a few migh mileage ls2s have caught my eye

But bad news, seems like the seller is flaking out on me, I asked for the VIN 2 days ago...no response yet...seems shady.

Originally Posted by chevbon
Is this a blk goat in PA by chance?
Nope, its in VA
Old 12-08-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

10k is not a bad price, even for that mileage. Money you save can be spent on some better than OEM replacement parts which will make the car better than a stock mid-mileage car.

I'd rather spend 10k on a high mileage car and put 5k of new upgraded suspension/engine/drivetrain parts than spend 15k on a stock mid-mileage car.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bah321
Thanks for the responses, yeah reading more about GTOs, they seem pretty reliable besides a few issues that pop up here and there.....I want one for a DD, I was mostly looking at 2004s because of price but a few migh mileage ls2s have caught my eye

But bad news, seems like the seller is flaking out on me, I asked for the VIN 2 days ago...no response yet...seems shady.

Nope, its in VA
Not too bad of a deal, when you have cash in hand though you have the power. Hell I might even offer lower cause how many people do you know making offers on that type of car that also have cash ready to go? Just to give you a ballpark figure I picked up my 05 a few months back for 12.5k with 94,000 on it. It was in pretty decent shape. It ended up needing a new radiator, bellhousing, and cats though :/ . If I could look back, I would have taken it to a certified mechanic even if you know what you are doing because I missed a few things. Its really necessary for a car like that because most likely some of those 110,000 miles were hard miles lol
Old 12-08-2011, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Wait. Is it a black one though? I saw another black one there when I was looking. It was having a radio problem or something...
Old 12-08-2011, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

^ nah its red.

Got back in touch with the seller....hopefully the car checks out, but not getting my hopes up just yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Mileage Goat