Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What type of #s and is it a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What type of #s and is it a good deal?

Well I'm going to look at an IBM 06 gto with 40K miles on it tomorrow and possibly trading my truck for it. He saids it puts down 700hp but doesn't know for sure (he bought the car the way it is and has never had it on a dyno).

Mods:
-DC1 procharger
-Some sort of cam (doesn't know exactly what size)
-Kook Headers
-SLP exhaust
-65 HP injectors

-Its also got a bottle but he's never sprayed it

It may have a few other mods but I'm not for sure. I haven't seen the car yet but I'm going tomorrow to look at it.

So, my question is what kind of numbers should this car put down (in general, not on the bottle)?

Also, I'm asking $26,500 for my truck so how much is a car like this worth? He told me he would give me the car + $5,500. Is that a decent deal?

here is a pic of the car....<a
Old 12-09-2011, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Also, its a 2 owner and its been boosted for about 8K miles and the current owner has only put about 2K miles on it in the 6 months he has had it (he saids it scares him too much so he just leaves it sit)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any clue how much boost it makes?

Its not going to be 700whp.
I'd guess 520ish (guessing without knowing the psi)
And since you don't know anything about the nitrous kit, couldn't make a SWAG there.

But either way, I'd say the car would be worth 19-20k
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 PM
On The Tree

I doubt its 700hp but if he has not done any work to clutch, trans, and rear you will shortly.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

id have it checked over thoroughly.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

i wanted that color
Old 12-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Teching In

I knew I forgot something but it's on 10 psi.

But I'm taking my mechanic with me tomorrow to check it out also.

Thanks guys for the input!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:13 PM
On The Tree

check the bushings in the front suspension. mine were bad when i got mine
Old 12-10-2011, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

Nice looking car!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Captain Double Post

agree nice looking ride, i would like to know where people get these claims on the hp though, lol if its never been on a dyno how do you know, im going to say its not 700, does it have a forged block? agree if the trans,clutch, rear are all stock those are things that you will more than likely have to upgrade if your going to drive it somewhat hard,doesnt seem like a bad deal, not alot of people are going to buy a used truck for close to 30 grand these days ,

Last edited by BOBS99SS; 12-10-2011 at 07:43 AM. Reason: error
Old 12-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by adamc45
check the bushings in the front suspension. mine were bad when i got mine
Thanks! I'll be sure to check those
Originally Posted by scphilli
Nice looking car!
Going to look at it in about an hour
Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
agree nice looking ride, i would like to know where people get these claims on the hp though, lol if its never been on a dyno how do you know, im going to say its not 700, does it have a forged block? agree if the trans,clutch, rear are all stock those are things that you will more than likely have to upgrade if your going to drive it somewhat hard,doesnt seem like a bad deal, not alot of people are going to buy a used truck for close to 30 grand these days ,
I'm sure the previous owner had it on the dyno but this owner never has. And I'm not sure about the forged black and nothing has been done to the trans, clutch, and rear.

It's an auto trans so I was thinking about a M6 swap or would that even be worth it or should the auto just be worked on?

And as far as the deal it doesn't seem bad and yes, selling a used truck for that expensive isn't really going nowhere. I know the truck is worth it but its just a really bad time to move something like that right now.

Here's is a pic of my truck btw.....
Old 12-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Teching In

Ok so I just got back from looking at the car and it looks pretty good and sounds/runs great! The way it sounds its got a pretty decent size cam in it and while test driving it ran great without any sputters or any flaws. The transmission went through the gears like butter.

The only flaws on the entire car is there is a dent right by the passenger side headlight and the driver seat has a rip in it (which I've been reading up on it and that seems to be normal)
Old 12-10-2011, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40k miles and it already has a rip? Doesn't sound like a bad deal for a low mileage car with all that work done to it already. You definitely can't buy that identical car without the upgrades and build it for cheaper. And if you're looking to get rid of that truck this seems like a great way to do it. You're trading for a great car and getting money back...sounds like a good deal to me. 700hp...doubt it. Maybe they meant 700hp while spraying. That would make a bit more sense to me. Also, if you're really wanting a 6 speed I would hold out and just buy a 6 speed. It's a decent amount of work to complete that swap. Then again you could always just do this trade and then maybe sell it later when you find a 6 speed that you want. I love my yellow goat but I really wanted the IBM. Gorgeous color.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thehazz12
40k miles and it already has a rip? Doesn't sound like a bad deal for a low mileage car with all that work done to it already. You definitely can't buy that identical car without the upgrades and build it for cheaper. And if you're looking to get rid of that truck this seems like a great way to do it. You're trading for a great car and getting money back...sounds like a good deal to me. 700hp...doubt it. Maybe they meant 700hp while spraying. That would make a bit more sense to me. Also, if you're really wanting a 6 speed I would hold out and just buy a 6 speed. It's a decent amount of work to complete that swap. Then again you could always just do this trade and then maybe sell it later when you find a 6 speed that you want. I love my yellow goat but I really wanted the IBM. Gorgeous color.
Thanks for the input! I decided to go on with the deal and we are doing the swap tomorrow or monday. As far as hp....it definitely don't have 700hp, probably more like 550-600hp but we will find out for sure in a couple weeks when I take it up and put it on the dyno.

And for the 6 speed, I have always had manual so I was kind of iffy about the automatic but after driving it I'm sure it will be just fine and I might be able to get use to not having to shift lol.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UkManiac99
Thanks for the input! I decided to go on with the deal and we are doing the swap tomorrow or monday. As far as hp....it definitely don't have 700hp, probably more like 550-600hp but we will find out for sure in a couple weeks when I take it up and put it on the dyno.

And for the 6 speed, I have always had manual so I was kind of iffy about the automatic but after driving it I'm sure it will be just fine and I might be able to get use to not having to shift lol.
Well congrats on becoming a goat owner! I'm fairly new to this myself. I got mine 4 months ago with just north of 60,xxx and I absolutely love it. I'd never driven a stick before so I learned on the 4 hr drive home lol. I'm partial to the 6 speeds now so I wouldn't have it any other way. IMO it's more fun. They may be slower at the track but that doesn't bother me. And if you do get bored with the auto you could always do that swap or work out another trade. You'll love the car either way. Post back again when you find out the numbers. Congrats again.
Old 12-11-2011, 09:12 PM
12 Second Club

I doubt the car makes more then 500, and I am willing to bet it might touch 600 with the spray. The stock heads/intake really limit the car. I would stay auto if you plan on tracking the car.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Well congrats on becoming a goat owner! I'm fairly new to this myself. I got mine 4 months ago with just north of 60,xxx and I absolutely love it. I'd never driven a stick before so I learned on the 4 hr drive home lol. I'm partial to the 6 speeds now so I wouldn't have it any other way. IMO it's more fun. They may be slower at the track but that doesn't bother me. And if you do get bored with the auto you could always do that swap or work out another trade. You'll love the car either way. Post back again when you find out the numbers. Congrats again.
Thanks man! I've just been driving it around today and I'm already falling in love with it but I can't wait to get it on the dyno and see what its actually putting down.

Originally Posted by chriswildermuth
I doubt the car makes more then 500, and I am willing to bet it might touch 600 with the spray. The stock heads/intake really limit the car. I would stay auto if you plan on tracking the car.
Well I did some searching some more on the car since I got it home today and the heads have BPM stamped on them, which is a performance shop down in Elizabethtown, KY. So, for some reason the heads have been off the car and the shop has stamped them for some reason as well. The guy I bought it from is pretty sure that BPM built the car so I am going to call the shop tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything about the car. Hopefully it turns out pretty good.

As far as power, I was driving it around today and my cousin has a twin turbo mustang that put down 530hp and he saids its very bit if not faster than his (and that was with 4 people in the car), but thats just guessing. However, the car will be going on the dyno the week after christmas so I will know for sure numbers then.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by UkManiac99
Thanks man! I've just been driving it around today and I'm already falling in love with it but I can't wait to get it on the dyno and see what its actually putting down.

Well I did some searching some more on the car since I got it home today and the heads have BPM stamped on them, which is a performance shop down in Elizabethtown, KY. So, for some reason the heads have been off the car and the shop has stamped them for some reason as well. The guy I bought it from is pretty sure that BPM built the car so I am going to call the shop tomorrow and see if they can tell me anything about the car. Hopefully it turns out pretty good.

As far as power, I was driving it around today and my cousin has a twin turbo mustang that put down 530hp and he saids its very bit if not faster than his (and that was with 4 people in the car), but thats just guessing. However, the car will be going on the dyno the week after christmas so I will know for sure numbers then.
Told you that you would love it! Comfort...power...speed...What's not to love? I'm definitely interested in hearing about these numbers because it sounds like you've got a pretty wicket goat in ur hands. When you get done at the dyno post up the dyno sheet and underhood shots. Oh and if you've got any questions you're gonna find the answers either here or at ls1gto.com so you've come to the right place. Congrats again and welcome to the herd.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:35 AM
Captain Double Post

truck is pretty killer as well, i would stick with the auto, thats just me though,
Old 12-12-2011, 03:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chriswildermuth
Ok so, I just called the performance shop and the heads definitely aren't stock but they are doing some checking and going to let me know for sure what all is done to them tomorrow.

So, now that I found that out I'm going to go ahead and get a intake so what size intake would yall suggest with the setup I'm running? I was thinking of like a FAST 98mm??

Told you that you would love it! Comfort...power...speed...What's not to love? I'm definitely interested in hearing about these numbers because it sounds like you've got a pretty wicket goat in ur hands. When you get done at the dyno post up the dyno sheet and underhood shots. Oh and if you've got any questions you're gonna find the answers either here or at ls1gto.com so you've come to the right place. Congrats again and welcome to the herd.
You were right man, I already love it and I've only drove it one day! But I'm going to get an intake before I put it on the dyno but it will all be done the week after Christmas. And I will definitely post up some pics and the dyno video as soon as it gets done.

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
truck is pretty killer as well, i would stick with the auto, thats just me though,
Thanks man and yes I'm just going to stick with the auto....just got to get us to it.

Quick Reply: What type of #s and is it a good deal?