Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What Does it Take…..

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Does it Take…..

to do Long Tubes to a 04 GTO? I just did long tubes on my WS6 and to do those you need delete plates for emissions, motor mounts, o2 extensions, etc… My buddy just bought a cosmos purple GTO so he's new to the game and doesn't know much and after riding in mine he wants long tubes now. I know how to install them, I'm just not sure what accessories you need (if any) to do it right, like motor mounts and all that the f-bodys need. If you guys could make a list of what's needed to install headers right I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably new front O2 sensors because the old ones are probably galled by now and will be a beach to get out. With some you need O2 extenders. My SLPs didn't. If you go catless a tune turns off the SEC light altho it doesn't affect anything and of course a tune should be done anyways as the WOT AFR will be off. Another thing is lots of patience as to me at least it was more challenging than installing my clutch, suspension, shifter, cam or heads. The passenger side drops right in but the driver's side needs the power steering rack dropped and a lot of finagling. Crows foot wrenches are recommended for the power steering lines altho I did mine without them.
Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 PM
Staging Lane

I would also recommend a new set of OEM manifold gaskets.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:11 PM
12 Second Club

The old gaskets recycle very well and shouldn't have to be replaced. I have the original gaskets on and the headers have been off and on 3 times as besides the original install I also disconnected them twice for heads.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by svede1212
Probably new front O2 sensors because the old ones are probably galled by now and will be a beach to get out. With some you need O2 extenders. My SLPs didn't. If you go catless a tune turns off the SEC light altho it doesn't affect anything and of course a tune should be done anyways as the WOT AFR will be off. Another thing is lots of patience as to me at least it was more challenging than installing my clutch, suspension, shifter, cam or heads. The passenger side drops right in but the driver's side needs the power steering rack dropped and a lot of finagling. Crows foot wrenches are recommended for the power steering lines altho I did mine without them.
Thanks man, we live an hour and a half from Texas Speed so were taking it there to get it tuned. I learned a lot about patience when it took me 19 hours with one 20 minute break to put my long tubes on my ws6, lol
Old 01-14-2012, 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by AmarilloWS6
Thanks man, we live an hour and a half from Texas Speed so were taking it there to get it tuned. I learned a lot about patience when it took me 19 hours with one 20 minute break to put my long tubes on my ws6, lol
It took me 2 days and about 14 hours not counting the trip to the store to get new sensors. It would take me much less time today as I know what not to try and just go straight to dropping the rack. Doing your heads at the same time would be awesome as you'd have all kinds of room then.

Quick Reply: What Does it Take…..