Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Advice Needed 04 5.7L GTO

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice Needed 04 5.7L GTO

Hi, first I would like to apologize if this thread is in the wrong spot, im new to the website.

Ive had my GTO for less than a year and I love it. I've been browsing around on youtube and listening to different GTO's and I love the choppy old muscle sound. Learning this was due to a cam swap, I did a little research and came across this site.

I have read many different threads with some of the same questions but I figure we all have a little bit different desires and different cars, so I thought I would give it a go myself.

I am not a mechanic by any stretch so I'd appreciate all the help I could get. I have a few goals and due to my ignorance I'm not sure they can all be met.

I think it is important to know that I am 19 years old and pay for this car entirely on my own so I dont have thousands of dollars to spend.

Goals: 1.Choppy sound, 2.Little change in city mpg (currently 16.5-17.2 in the nice weather, 15.2-16.7 in the cold), 3.Spend as little money as possible however have it done correctly and satisfy all areas to have a healthy running engine (isn't that everyones goal.. lol -ik) 4.*MUST: pass emissions*

extra*Borla Exhaust came with the car. (no other mods to my knowledge other than rims)

This is a great site and I hope you all can help me as you have others. -Giving thanks in advanced.
~Rob
Old 01-15-2012, 07:55 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you considered a long tube setup first?

It's a bit cheaper than a cam, and will get you a nice performance gain on top of a sweet sound.

I know what you mean about the choppy sound, but everyone I know who did a cam first would have done long tubes first.

How strict are your emissions laws? Do they sniff OBD2 cars?
Old 01-15-2012, 08:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the fast reply!
No I havn't really considered long tubes, I'm not going to say I dont like them but I like the idea of the cam more (no offense || my oppinion may change) lol Also yes they do sniff OBD2 Cars
Old 01-15-2012, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by RobJ25
Thanks for the fast reply!
No I havn't really considered long tubes, I'm not going to say I dont like them but I like the idea of the cam more (no offense || my oppinion may change) lol Also yes they do sniff OBD2 Cars
You might want to do a smaller cam then. Like a .226 duration, run some decent springs and push rods, gaskets, oil pump (might as well since you're in there), and you'll also need a tune. You'll probably wanna budget a little extra just in case.

Will you be installing this yourself?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, I knew I was going to need a tune. As far as the choppy sound, does a small or big cam have any effect on that? Thanks for your information on the reccomendations to go along with the cam,im newbie lol. no I won't be able to install it myself. Also how much would you see this costing?
Old 01-15-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Listen rob, I know what you want and where your coming from being a young guy myself. Its not going to be cheap to get where you want, so keep that in mind. Also, being that it must pass emissions will make this more of a headache and more expensive than it would be if there were no emissions laws where your at.

#1: **** the longtubes. Yes they make good power and sound way awesome, but instead of headers and/or a mid-pipe, find someone to cut off your cats and weld pipe in its place. Your never going to get the loud sound your wanting without either replacing the manifolds or getting rid of the cats. And of course if you buy the longtubes its going to cost you even more cuz your gonna buy a vatted mid pipe which cost a **** load.

As far as the cats being gone, when you get the extra money buy yourself a handheld Diablo predator with a pre loaded tune which has the cats deleted so your light will go off. This is cheaper than a dyno tune and will still give your car extra horses/torque.

#2: get a hotcam kit. $500 you have everything you need and a nice choppy note.

#3: if your thinking no to #1, just go with the hotcam and the pre loaded Diablo predator. You'll still hear the cam through your borla.. it just won't be quite as loud. No dyno tune required for the small hotcam
Old 01-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rio95cobra
Listen rob, I know what you want and where your coming from being a young guy myself. Its not going to be cheap to get where you want, so keep that in mind. Also, being that it must pass emissions will make this more of a headache and more expensive than it would be if there were no emissions laws where your at.

#1: **** the longtubes. Yes they make good power and sound way awesome, but instead of headers and/or a mid-pipe, find someone to cut off your cats and weld pipe in its place. Your never going to get the loud sound your wanting without either replacing the manifolds or getting rid of the cats. And of course if you buy the longtubes its going to cost you even more cuz your gonna buy a vatted mid pipe which cost a **** load.

As far as the cats being gone, when you get the extra money buy yourself a handheld Diablo predator with a pre loaded tune which has the cats deleted so your light will go off. This is cheaper than a dyno tune and will still give your car extra horses/torque.

#2: get a hotcam kit. $500 you have everything you need and a nice choppy note.

#3: if your thinking no to #1, just go with the hotcam and the pre loaded Diablo predator. You'll still hear the cam through your borla.. it just won't be quite as loud. No dyno tune required for the small hotcam
Appreciate the post, Im hoping it keep this around $2,000 does that sound resonable or are you laughing where you sit.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with gtose with the bolt ons, especially long tubes and exhaust. They will make the car sound very different. Or you can try electric cutouts too. If it still doesnt sound as you want, then try to read up as much as you can on cams and how they work. The lope you hear is usually caused by valve overlap, that means its actually not idle-ing at its best. The bigger choppier the lope, the less idle quality youll have but its gonna shine at higher revs. Generally.

Since its your DD, you can check out some baby cams. They will not be the best in terms of performance, but will keep the car driveable, and should have the least effect in mpg.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

$2000 should be plenty. Youll have to consider springs, timing chain and sprockets, rockers, gaskets and fluids, maybe hardened pushrods and maybe lifters

How many miles in your GTO? and is it stock?
Old 01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Zlow28
$2000 should be plenty. Youll have to consider springs, timing chain and sprockets, rockers, gaskets and fluids, maybe hardened pushrods and maybe lifters

How many miles in your GTO? and is it stock?
-$2000, inc. installation (cause I can't do this myself)
-Yeah all stock except the Borla exhaust
-43k miles now
Also, my cousin who knows quite a bit about cars says the only way im going to get that big lopey sound is with a Big cam which he says would cost more money cause I would need other parts to go along with it so it doesnt run like ****. Feedback?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

-$2000, inc. installation (cause I can't do this myself)
-Yeah all stock except the Borla exhaust
-43k miles now
Also, my cousin who knows quite a bit about cars says the only way im going to get that big lopey sound is with a Big cam which he says would cost more money cause I would need other parts to go along with it so it doesnt run like ****. Feedback?
well hes got the right idea but every engine has its different strong/weak spots. Id suggest you have those parts (timing chain, pushrods, lifters...) replaced wether its a big or small cam. Just for insurance.
As for the cam size, since im only used to lt1's, maybe someone else can bring up some ideas. Rio95cobra mentioned the hotcam, its hard to beat that price for your goals. You can go check out youtube or ls1sounds to see what different setups sound like.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Does anyone have a video of the sound of a HOT cam, my search is failing ><
Old 01-15-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Regular

Rob I would love to suggest you go ahead and upgrade your timing chain, oil pump, pushrods, while your doing the cam swap.. along with adding an underdrive pulley, but being on a tight budget, just skip doing all of that. I NEVER do things half *** and to skip replacing those other items I consider being half ***.. but at your 43k or whatever miles it should still be fine.

$500 hotcam which includes valvesprings
$450 Diablo Predator
$50 for oil/filter, misc.
$200 max for muffler shop to cut/replace the cats (wont be easy finding a shop to do it though)

and VOILA! loud, cam'd, and tuned for $1200.. we'll say $1300 to be on the safe side. Put the other $700 towards school books. (you are in college right?? GOOD.)
Old 01-15-2012, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

I spoke too soon, found 1, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUYACyffyHU
How similar would you reccon my GTO would sound to this camaro
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 PM

Find someone to cut off your cats and weld pipe in its place.
He said they sniff OBD2 cars where he lives, so I think this is out.

Electric cutouts would be a good bet if you just want loud.

This is about how a hot cam will sound in your car. Plenty of chop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIjVpBQQlE

Granted, it won't be quite as loud.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Rob I would love to suggest you go ahead and upgrade your timing chain, oil pump, pushrods, while your doing the cam swap.. along with adding an underdrive pulley, but being on a tight budget, just skip doing all of that. I NEVER do things half *** and to skip replacing those other items I consider being half ***.. but at your 43k or whatever miles it should still be fine.

$500 hotcam which includes valvesprings
$450 Diablo Predator
$50 for oil/filter, misc.
$200 max for muffler shop to cut/replace the cats (wont be easy finding a shop to do it though)

and VOILA! loud, cam'd, and tuned for $1200.. we'll say $1300 to be on the safe side. Put the other $700 towards school books. (you are in college right?? GOOD.)
lol yeah I am in school, how much for labor?
Old 01-15-2012, 11:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GTOSE
He said they sniff OBD2 cars where he lives, so I think this is out.

Electric cutouts would be a good bet if you just want loud.

This is about how a hot cam will sound in your car. Plenty of chop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIjVpBQQlE

Granted, it won't be quite as loud.
Love it! lol, c4 vettes my fav. So the chop u say would be the same but not quite as loud :o I think I can live with that, just as long as its there ^^;
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

I spoke too soon, found 1,

How similar would you reccon my GTO would sound to this camaro
No where near as nice!!

lol thats a lt1 you posted. They sound different (better ) than a ls1. Iron vs Aluminum and different firing orders.

Also remember, speakers tend to sound nothing like the actual thing. So try to listen to those clips with a subwoofer system or something. Itll sound better.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 PM
TECH Regular

If you want the choppy idle, some more power, and a killer sound, while still passing smog...

BABY CAM! TSP 224r. This video is an LS1 with the 224r (114 LSA). It'll be a bit more raspy than your setup since its got headers, no cats, and the notoriously loud dynomax bullets lol... but the idle will be basically the same, just less treble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1zk-tqQdX8
Old 01-15-2012, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

I appreciate everyones input, if someone could recap for me briefly that'd be great. So if I were to get a hotcam and pass emissions, I would need: What other parts, and how much for labor?
*again I apologize cause I know many of you have suggested specific parts, I would just like to make sure it's all applicable and suggested when getting a hotcam/emissions pass

Quick Reply: Advice Needed 04 5.7L GTO