There were three cars I really wanted to see this year at the Atlanta Autoshow, the CTS-V, GTO and C6. (The new Mustang and Ford GT too, but I'm not actually considering one of those). So I get to the show and head straight to the Chevy booth. As expected the C6 is up on a Dias with a rather unattractive 40 year old chick showing the car off. Thankfully she couldn't distract me from the car though which looked wonderful.
So then I walk over to the Caddy stand to check out the CTS-V. First off, there was no one at the Caddy booth..... Well there was some bling bling action over by the Escalade, but other than that the entire Caddy section was vacant. The CTS-V was up on a dais so I couldn't do what I had come to do and get a feel for the car. Not to mention being 5 feet off the ground you really had a hard time getting a feel for the way the exterior looked too. So I left the caddy stand rather annoyed. The worms eye view of the interior was wholly unflattering for the car, and my mood was rather dour at this point.
So I head over to the Pontiac booth to see the GTO. Ha! and I thought the Caddy section was vacant? There was only one person at the entire display. Some handicap guy in a wheelchair next to the only GTO on display.... up on a freaking dais So AGAIN I can't sit in the car or even get a good feel for it as it's up at a weird angle. So the Handicap guy was orating to an empty floor about the GTO, I had enough and went to go look at the other offers.
GM wouldn't let me sit in a $50K CTS-V or a $35K GTO, but Mercedes has no problem with me sitting in a $100K SL. Guess what I want now?
The Range Rover booth was full of super-hot booth babes giving people guided tours of the Range Rovers. Hmmm, must be too obviously sexist for GM to do.
The Ford section was packed but 90% of the people were huddled around the Ford GT, the other 10% around the all-new Mustang. I guess they've succeeded in creating a "halo-car" wonder if they'll sell more trucks because of it?
It's funny to see the demographics shake out so visibly. Well dressed people hung out at the high end luxury car sections, teenagers flocked in droves to the Mitsubishi stand, late 20's early 30-somethings hit VW/Audi, Ford and Chevy attracted the blue-collars, Caddy and Pontiac attracted no one.
As a casual observation, if the Atlanta auto show was any indication of GM's future, I think I can say it's looking rather glum.
There would have been more people there if they had a couple on the floor showing some different colors and interiors. I mean heck they had half a dozen C5 Vettes on Display! If Pontiac plans on selling this car based on the how great the interior is, then people need to start experiencing the car rather than seeing it up on some dais. They missed a big opportunity at the autoshow as it's a great way to spread the word to those that might not have walked into a Pontiac show room otherwise.
I wasn't all that impressed either. I went to the Fort Worth Tarrant County Auto Show, and have nver been more disappointed with humanity in general. There were kids, unattended climbing all over the cars. People run into you because their heads are turned one way and they walk another. The displays were about the same as what you describe. There wasn't anyone at the booth for the GTO. There were alot of people at the Ford GT exhibit. So many that I never did get a good look. The booth bimbos were attractive, but you have to remember they put up with alot of jerkoffs at these kinds of events. I did get alot of literature, and that did help. The ladies at the door that were passing out samples of Armor-All were really nice. You had your usual posers and wannabe's, but then again you always do. You can't blame the manufacturers, they're just playing to a demographic. I didn't even stop at the Range Rover/ BMW section, even though I would like to look at the machinery. I just don't understand the ridiculous culture around the BMW in America. The fact that it was loaded full of 30 somethings didn't really enthuse me either. So you're not alone in your feelings.
__________________ "Be who you are and drive what you will, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss