Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO, CTS-V & C6 at ATL Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 09:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry GTO, CTS-V & C6 at ATL Auto Show

There were three cars I really wanted to see this year at the Atlanta Autoshow, the CTS-V, GTO and C6. (The new Mustang and Ford GT too, but I'm not actually considering one of those). So I get to the show and head straight to the Chevy booth. As expected the C6 is up on a Dias with a rather unattractive 40 year old chick showing the car off. Thankfully she couldn't distract me from the car though which looked wonderful.

So then I walk over to the Caddy stand to check out the CTS-V. First off, there was no one at the Caddy booth..... Well there was some bling bling action over by the Escalade, but other than that the entire Caddy section was vacant. The CTS-V was up on a dais so I couldn't do what I had come to do and get a feel for the car. Not to mention being 5 feet off the ground you really had a hard time getting a feel for the way the exterior looked too. So I left the caddy stand rather annoyed. The worms eye view of the interior was wholly unflattering for the car, and my mood was rather dour at this point.

So I head over to the Pontiac booth to see the GTO. Ha! and I thought the Caddy section was vacant? There was only one person at the entire display. Some handicap guy in a wheelchair next to the only GTO on display.... up on a freaking dais So AGAIN I can't sit in the car or even get a good feel for it as it's up at a weird angle. So the Handicap guy was orating to an empty floor about the GTO, I had enough and went to go look at the other offers.

Some observations.

GM wouldn't let me sit in a $50K CTS-V or a $35K GTO, but Mercedes has no problem with me sitting in a $100K SL. Guess what I want now?

The Range Rover booth was full of super-hot booth babes giving people guided tours of the Range Rovers. Hmmm, must be too obviously sexist for GM to do.

The Ford section was packed but 90% of the people were huddled around the Ford GT, the other 10% around the all-new Mustang. I guess they've succeeded in creating a "halo-car" wonder if they'll sell more trucks because of it?

It's funny to see the demographics shake out so visibly. Well dressed people hung out at the high end luxury car sections, teenagers flocked in droves to the Mitsubishi stand, late 20's early 30-somethings hit VW/Audi, Ford and Chevy attracted the blue-collars, Caddy and Pontiac attracted no one.

As a casual observation, if the Atlanta auto show was any indication of GM's future, I think I can say it's looking rather glum.
Old 03-17-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

See what I posted at
https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-gto-2004-2006/149757-what-do-you-think-gto.html
The Chicago Tribune reported about the same thing.

Old 03-17-2004, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

There would have been more people there if they had a couple on the floor showing some different colors and interiors. I mean heck they had half a dozen C5 Vettes on Display! If Pontiac plans on selling this car based on the how great the interior is, then people need to start experiencing the car rather than seeing it up on some dais. They missed a big opportunity at the autoshow as it's a great way to spread the word to those that might not have walked into a Pontiac show room otherwise.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:13 AM

I wasn't all that impressed either. I went to the Fort Worth Tarrant County Auto Show, and have nver been more disappointed with humanity in general. There were kids, unattended climbing all over the cars. People run into you because their heads are turned one way and they walk another. The displays were about the same as what you describe. There wasn't anyone at the booth for the GTO. There were alot of people at the Ford GT exhibit. So many that I never did get a good look. The booth bimbos were attractive, but you have to remember they put up with alot of jerkoffs at these kinds of events. I did get alot of literature, and that did help. The ladies at the door that were passing out samples of Armor-All were really nice. You had your usual posers and wannabe's, but then again you always do. You can't blame the manufacturers, they're just playing to a demographic. I didn't even stop at the Range Rover/ BMW section, even though I would like to look at the machinery. I just don't understand the ridiculous culture around the BMW in America. The fact that it was loaded full of 30 somethings didn't really enthuse me either. So you're not alone in your feelings.
Old 03-17-2004, 04:26 PM
Teching In

i heard serveral other instances where the GTO was packed at the shows where people could get up and close to the car, sit in it etc... there was even a line.

its not a concept car for chist-sake , they should ket people get a feel for the car and how bad-*** it is !!!

Adam Bruce, you always start threads that have a negative vibe (feeling) everytime you mention or compare the GTO, not this one in particular... just an observation.

Last edited by cm_ls1; 03-17-2004 at 04:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cm_ls1
i heard serveral other instances where the GTO was packed at the shows where people could get up and close to the car, sit in it etc... there was even a line.

its not a concept car for chist-sake , they should ket people get a feel for the car and how bad-*** it is !!!

Adam Bruce, you always start threads that have a negative vibe (feeling) everytime you mention or compare the GTO, not this one in particular... just an observation.
You're the second person to tell me that today, I must be in some sort of really negative funk?

I did quite smoking two days ago, maybe I'm just being bitchy?
Old 03-17-2004, 05:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
You're the second person to tell me that today, I must be in some sort of really negative funk?

I did quite smoking two days ago, maybe I'm just being bitchy?

LOL, maybe !!!

i tried to quit the smokes and i lasted all of 3-4 hours, by that time i was nearly punching holes in the doors of the house.