Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Tick Master Cylinder? Check

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick Master Cylinder? Check

So today, i installed my new tick master cylinder. The install sheet told me 1-2 hours of labor. Holy ****, it took 6 freaking hours to install. me and my cousin were cussing the whole time. took about an hour and a half and 6 extensions on my ratchet to get the stock master out. then about 2 and a half hours, a tight squeeze and some luck to get the new master back in, 30 minutes for dinner, and about 45 min to get everything back in place and the fluid bled.

But, after all that time and frustration, It was well worth the time and money. goes into gear butter smooth, quicker, easier shifts, high RPM shifts are great. I'm going to fine tune it thursday when i have some spare time. I highly recommend this for our cars but also recommend that someone else put it in unless you have tons of patience and really small hands and arms.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:07 AM
On The Tree

lots of views but no feed back. anybody else install this themselves?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:30 AM
On The Tree

This mod is definitely on my wish list. I am sick and tired of my clutch pedal sticking to the floor... Im just undecided if i should just wait until my clutch fries and get the package deal from tick, or just buy the master on its own. The only thing stopping me from getting it now is the price as im a 19 year old college student. Do you still have your stock clutch?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PontiacPOWA
This mod is definitely on my wish list. I am sick and tired of my clutch pedal sticking to the floor... Im just undecided if i should just wait until my clutch fries and get the package deal from tick, or just buy the master on its own. The only thing stopping me from getting it now is the price as im a 19 year old college student. Do you still have your stock clutch?
When does your clutch stick to the floor?
Old 01-25-2012, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ShoddyHog
When does your clutch stick to the floor?
Full throttle shifting. By the time I shift into 4th the pedal is 1-2" from the floor and i have to wait (maybe 20 seconds?) for the pedal to come up enough to shift into 5th-6th. Ive bled the fluid and done plenty of research and it seems like the tick master is the way to go. Car has ~55k
Old 01-25-2012, 09:10 AM
On The Tree

I was having a simialr problem shoddyhog. Shifting from 3rd to 4th at WOT. It felt that my clutch was slow moving. As of last night, that is not an issue. I have a firmer pedal, and im one happy customer. Im a 20 year old collage student btw.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pedal problem is caused by your clutch slippig and boiling the fluid. When I installed mine it helped but its just a temporary bandaid for the real problem.

Lol sucks that it took you 6 hours. Did you not take the brake booster off and move it out if the way?
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PontiacPOWA
Full throttle shifting. By the time I shift into 4th the pedal is 1-2" from the floor and i have to wait (maybe 20 seconds?) for the pedal to come up enough to shift into 5th-6th. Ive bled the fluid and done plenty of research and it seems like the tick master is the way to go. Car has ~55k
This is what my clutch is doing. It doesn't have a pedal by the time I get to 5th and after I run at the track. I'm getting my new clutch and slave in march, hopefully this fixes it of not I'll have to get a tick master.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM
Teching In

I put a tick on my 04 goat at 51k and now im at 64k best mod for the dd. It takes about 3 hours and i did it my self.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

we had no idea what we were doing. lol. yea, i took the nuts off the brake booster and moved it over, but the braket for the horn was the worst problem for me. my clutch is much firmer now and alot more positive. i would do it again
Old 01-26-2012, 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sticking/slow pedal action is the clutch. Anyone having that issues should look at getting a new one. My '04 has a Monster 3 with original master and altho I used to have that problem back when it was newer I've never had it after the clutch swap
Old 01-26-2012, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by svede1212
Sticking/slow pedal action is the clutch. Anyone having that issues should look at getting a new one. My '04 has a Monster 3 with original master and altho I used to have that problem back when it was newer I've never had it after the clutch swap
Roger that.

I had the same exact problem with my stock clutch. Any WOT shift in 3rd or 4th, and I'd just have to coast until I could get pedal again...would get stiff as hell and want to stay on the floor.

Replaced clutch, slave, and installed stainless lines, and haven't had that problem again (50,000 miles or so since), and I'm still on the same stock master cylinder.

CBI in Hillsboro, MO changed my clutch, and it still had plenty miles...just wasn't holding my power anymore.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Teching In

I've done probably 35 installs on customer cars and can get it done in about 2 hours. I've had mixed reviews. A good clutch will fix most if not all of the GTO shifting issues. In my opinion, the master pushes fluid through the same ID line no matter how much volume you have. These cars are heavy and a clutch that works great in an Fbody doesn't necessarily work great in a GTO. In the short term it may seem great but until you resolve the real issue it will always come back to haunt you. just my .02
Old 03-09-2016, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Default Love to have you replace my 2006 GTO Tick Master cyl (Clutch)

I have purchased the Tick kit. Where do you live & how much would you charge me to bring my GTO to you to do the change out?

Rick
678-463-9092 (call or text 24/7)
Old 03-18-2016, 04:00 PM
On The Tree

He's in Pa.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

still need to this for mine...very hard to shift driving at high rpm's

Quick Reply: Tick Master Cylinder? Check