Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

victor jr with 4150 tb on gto

Old 02-12-2012, 03:01 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default victor jr with 4150 tb on gto

who has done it and what exactly is needed aside from manifold and tb? I.E: throttle cable bracketry/setup etc and with a 4150 tb is there room under an 05/06 hood for a traditional round filter or do you need a hat? thanks all
Old 02-12-2012, 04:14 PM
11 Second Club

come on i know someone has done this lol
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

done it and went back

the bonnet in this pic barely fit under the rk hood , and that even included cutting the bottom out of the hood , and the bonnet robbed about 5mph from my 1/4 times

Old 02-13-2012, 07:04 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by s/c'd cav
done it and went back

the bonnet in this pic barely fit under the rk hood , and that even included cutting the bottom out of the hood , and the bonnet robbed about 5mph from my 1/4 times

badass man thanks. is there any way you can give a decent list of parts for throttle linkage, vaccum lines/fittings and fuel line fittings etc? im sure i could figure it out but this is my dd so the less downtime the better and a parts list would be greatly appreciated. THANKS!
Old 02-14-2012, 12:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i actually got it used from my neighbor , he had it on his turbo truck

it did have the universal cable bracket made for the LS intakes , and i had the factory bracket mated to it

the cable end came from LOKAR , and you have to cut the end of the stock cable

the map was a 1/4" brass fitting , and i think a 3/8" for the brake booster , everything else was off the edelbrock tb i believe

i dont remember the size of the fuel rail fittings i believe -6 , everything came off my LS6 with speed inc rails

in my honest opinion , its not worth it for a n/a motor , in a turbo or procharger app it would be worth it , on the street i didnt notice much difference , just at the track it never did better than a mid 12 , when it should low 12's

i also think the fast 75/8 i went to after this was alot better option , i also had to get a new throttle cable since i had cut mine , and they are getting harder to get ahold of

this is the hood i had to use , and cut the bottom out on it to clear the bonnet , and there was about 1/4" clearance if that

Old 02-14-2012, 08:28 PM
11 Second Club

well do you want to sell that setup then if your not happy with it? lol
Old 02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sold it all about 18mths ago , lol

thats how i got my fast , lol

ive still got the hood forsale though , but i think you are to far for a local pick up
Old 02-14-2012, 11:15 PM
11 Second Club

oh damnit! yea no offense but im not really a fan of that hood, although i am coming to Phoenix next weekend to see my parents lol. oh well thanks for all the info anyway!
Old 02-14-2012, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah im not really a big fan of it either , but it was the only hood with a high enough center , short of the old DMS cowl hood , and the sunoco hood

for the ultra cheap price i got it for , it was well worth the price , if you wanna see the hood and the hole i cut in it in person , pm me when you are in town , hell for the price it might sway you into it too , lmao
Old 02-15-2012, 03:02 AM
Launching!

I'm running a victor jr with a elbow, pic in sig
Old 02-15-2012, 08:07 AM
10 Second Club

I believe it has been proven time and time that the Vic jr is a great intake. But when combined with an elbow, the flow and performance goes waaaayy down. I've know a few people to be really disappointed with this setup. Like said above, the elbow is more for forced induction.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to cut my hood and add a small scoop, but I'm running and love the Edelbrock proflo xt
Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 PM
11 Second Club

yeah im not really a big fan of it either , but it was the only hood with a high enough center , short of the old DMS cowl hood , and the sunoco hood

for the ultra cheap price i got it for , it was well worth the price , if you wanna see the hood and the hole i cut in it in person , pm me when you are in town , hell for the price it might sway you into it too , lmao
haha ok i might just do that! thanks again sir!

Originally Posted by 402GOAT
I believe it has been proven time and time that the Vic jr is a great intake. But when combined with an elbow, the flow and performance goes waaaayy down. I've know a few people to be really disappointed with this setup. Like said above, the elbow is more for forced induction.
Thats official, this is why i want to run a 4150tb on top of it and i was hoping that i could just fit a traditional round carb style filter on it, but looks like that wont be happening. Hell maybe ill just run the tb open no filter, whats the worst that could happen on a dd street car? ill figure something out. thanks for the input guys
Old 02-15-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds good , just send me a pm if you do , and i ran it open at the track , with the rk hood i have , the scoops were open to the tb

i was originally thinking a velocity stack style air cleaner , kinda like this one , but i didnt want to leave the whole thing out in the open , since the car sits outside

Old 02-15-2012, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

sounds good , just send me a pm if you do , and i ran it open at the track , with the rk hood i have , the scoops were open to the tb

i was originally thinking a velocity stack style air cleaner , kinda like this one , but i didnt want to leave the whole thing out in the open , since the car sits outside

yea i have a carbon fiber 05/06 replica hood w open scoops. I wonder if a lower profile filter like this would fit:

http://www.holley.com/120-148.asp

worst case i might go with a vfn sunoco style hood for more room, thats probably my favorite gto hood anyway, and a cowl would probably be more beneficial than a hood with forward facing scoops, since a true functional cowl hood will actually create a low pressure area in the opening. With a forward facing scoop that wont happen till about 150mph
Old 02-15-2012, 10:53 PM
11 Second Club

here's a better perspective on the profile of this filter

victor jr with 4150 tb on gto-holley-free-flow.jpg
Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

forward facing works better than alot over-think it , look at all the top classes of drag racing just proves that point

while most think of the ram-air as being 100% force feed(aka free boost) , most of the gain comes from getting fresh moving air

ive never liked that filter , the base isnt shaped for air flow into the carb/tb , and the filter is just foam , and the last i remember there isnt alot holding it into the assembly , id rather use a k&n or paper filter for a DD
Old 02-16-2012, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

forward facing works better than alot over-think it , look at all the top classes of drag racing just proves that point

while most think of the ram-air as being 100% force feed(aka free boost) , most of the gain comes from getting fresh moving air

ive never liked that filter , the base isnt shaped for air flow into the carb/tb , and the filter is just foam , and the last i remember there isnt alot holding it into the assembly , id rather use a k&n or paper filter for a DD
most of the drag racing classes your referring to see speeds of 150mph plus, so yes forward facing will work to their benefit, if you research forward facing scoops though, you'll find that they don't start seeing pressure above atmospheric until about 150+ mph depending on conditions, until then it merely lets ambient air into the engine bay, and even by 200mph there usually isn't more than 1psi above atmospheric pressure inside the scoop. A cowl induction scoop on the other hand, will create a low pressure area around the opening due to the high velocity of air traveling over the scoop, effectively pushing air into that opening, and this can begin to happen at much lower speeds. Which would benefit a street car or drag car that doesn't see speeds as high or much higher than 150mph. This was discussed quite a bit when i attended SAM, you'll notice that the fastest naturally aspirated lsx camaro on record (SAM's 99 h.o.ss, 8.12 @170mph) runs a cowl hood, but that thing is getting to the point where it wouldn't surprise me if they switched to forward facing soon, based on their trap speeds lately.

and the base of that cleaner may not be 100% optimal, and may not be as functional as a velocity stack style inlet, but for a low pro compact cleaner it is actually rather theoretically correct, and matches the style of throttle body/carb pans found on most race cars- flat with a small radius flowing into the o.d. of the carb or t.b. here's what most race car air pans look like, this isn't the best i've seen but gets the point across

victor jr with 4150 tb on gto-airpan2.jpg

and foam may not be as good as a k&n element for filtering, but it is pretty nonrestrictive, a lot of great flowing high performance filters are made of foam.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally don't like the look of them, but would a large cowl induction hood allow the air cleaner to fit, and if you could seal the airflow from the higher pressure cowl area to the air cleaner would that net better gains than a forward facing scoop?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mark21742
I personally don't like the look of them, but would a large cowl induction hood allow the air cleaner to fit, and if you could seal the airflow from the higher pressure cowl area to the air cleaner would that net better gains than a forward facing scoop?
I believe that with the sunoco vfn cowl hood for the gto, both of the above questions are definately possible. The problem with hood scoops is you can only try to measure gains at the track, as its hard to simulate driving conditions at speed on the dyno. Either way it would definately be more theoretically correct. The sunoco hood is also pretty badass lookin imo bc it matches the rounded lines of the gto:

victor jr with 4150 tb on gto-vfn-sunoco.jpg

oh and i forgot to add, for the best functionality of a forward scoop, it needs to be as high or higher than the roofline of the vehicle, as low as our scoops are, most of the air is simply passing over top of it. take note of the placement of this pro stock hood scoop in relation to the roofline:

victor jr with 4150 tb on gto-pro-stock.jpg

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: victor jr with 4150 tb on gto