Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Sometimes can't shift into drive (A4)

Old 02-29-2012, 12:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sometimes can't shift into drive (A4)

About 2 weeks after I had a 3200 stall and a tranny cooler installed, in the mornings I would have problems getting the car to physically move into drive.

The shifter would move from N and start to go into drive but it acted like it was binding. If I put a little pressure (not a lot) the cluster would indicate drive and I could actually move. If I pushed it up into P and let it run for 5 minutes, it would shift down into D just fine.

I took it back to the shop that did the converter, and of course couldn't duplicate it (only seemed to happen when letting it sit overnight) but they did try tweaking the linkage.

The problem seemed to be solved except now, about 2 weeks again after it seems to slightly catch going into drive in the mornings and this morning I couldn't get it all the way down into 1st.

Is this a transmission problem, or something binding due to a install problem? I'm going to have a 402 dropped in and I had thought about having the tranny rebuilt anyway.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a linkage problem since the 4l60e shifter just turns a switch and runs in detents to feel like a shift, but doesn't actually shift the tranny...maybe the linkage got bent when doing the swap?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sometimes can't shift into drive (A4)