Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

lt1 camaro for a gto

Old 07-28-2012, 12:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt1 camaro for a gto

so as the title says im trading my supercharged lt1 96 camaro for a gto. what should i be looking for. what screams out dont come near me. etc etc.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:18 AM
On The Tree

Suspension, rear spring sag, strut bushings, diff/seal leaks. These are common areas of concern. For the most part GTOs hold up pretty well. Many have been modded, so you are on your own there.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Yea this one is modded with heads n cams and a lq9 block axle and rear springs recently changed so all I should have to worry about is the rear end leak? Is there a rear I can use that is a little more heavy duty?
Old 07-28-2012, 03:42 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Why's it have multiple cams?
Why does it have an iron block?
Old 07-28-2012, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

It has one, I'm just used to building motorcycle engines so when I say cam it just comes out with a s.
Old 07-28-2012, 06:38 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Just giving you ****. But I'd be concerned about that LQ9. Sounds like he fucked it up, and was a cheap-*** and put in an iron block.
I'd only go for one if I was building a large-bore engine, or boosting like crazy.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:34 AM
On The Tree

So lq9 is no good? Said he was going to build a turbo set up but we t another direction...what's so bad about that block
Old 07-29-2012, 04:25 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Not saying that it's not good, I'm just curious what his true reason was for putting in that block. The GTO is already heavy and adding an iron block adds that much more weight.
Now if he was truly going for a turbo setup, then it would make sense.
Or maybe he blew up the engine from driving like an *******, and other things are fucked on it too, and that's why he dropped in a LQ9.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm kind of in agreement with audacious nick. If he had plans of a turbo build, the Lq block makes sense. Not saying he's lying, but I do have trust issues with people. If he blew the previous motor he was probably a moron and had poor maintnenance on the car. Then he put an Lq block in with a cam. Let's say this same guy that blew a motor installed the cam in this car himself, you have reason to be worried. IIRC, the difference between the iron and aluminum blocks is something like 40 lbs. That's weight right over the nose of the car, but when you're talking about a 3800 lb. car without a driver, 40 extra lbs. isn't hurting you much.
In the end, a test drive and a thorough inspection will tell you what you need to know. Hope that helps. Good luck with your hunt.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

thanks guys
Old 08-01-2012, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

I had an LT1 firebird, and now i have a GTO . i would be anxious to trade -- because i like the GTO a lot better as a daily driver. Though that doesnt mean throw caution to the wind... might end up with a lemon
Old 08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
ASSuming On The Tree

Originally Posted by thehazz12
I'm kind of in agreement with audacious nick. If he had plans of a turbo build, the Lq block makes sense. Not saying he's lying, but I do have trust issues with people. If he blew the previous motor he was probably a moron and had poor maintnenance on the car. Then he put an Lq block in with a cam. Let's say this same guy that blew a motor installed the cam in this car himself, you have reason to be worried. IIRC, the difference between the iron and aluminum blocks is something like 40 lbs. That's weight right over the nose of the car, but when you're talking about a 3800 lb. car without a driver, 40 extra lbs. isn't hurting you much.
In the end, a test drive and a thorough inspection will tell you what you need to know. Hope that helps. Good luck with your hunt.
I think it's actually closer to 70-80lbs more.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

I will test drive it and let it run to make sure there's no over heating issues and check underneath for leaks and such and check the rear to make sure it's not leaking and the oil anything in missing?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:25 AM
ASSuming On The Tree

In all honestly, just hold out. See if anyone else wants to trade, and if not, then sell your car and buy an untouched GTO.
It sucks, because then you end up in the same predicament that my friend is in. His tranny is fucked, his exhaust is a piece of ****, stuff is leaking and broken.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

its a tough decision cause my camaro was my daily driver so its hard for me to get to work, and this is the closest thing to a stock gto close to my area. most have the cranks or on their 2nd-3rd motor etc etc. blown rears multiple broken axles...ill check it out if it doesnt pass the standards then ill pass on it and just keep the camaro and fix it.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lil'Felt
and this is the closest thing to a stock gto close to my area. most have the cranks or on their 2nd-3rd motor etc etc. blown rears multiple broken axles...
Um...what?
What does "most have the cranks" mean? And how do you know most are on their "2nd-3rd motor"?
As far as blown rears and broken axles...the IRS in these cars is fairly weak as is the 7.5" rear. Any m6 car that goes to the track and launches hard runs the risk of breaking these parts. If replaced, you shouldn't be worried about those. Until upgraded, you run the risk of continuing to break those parts when launching.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

like a built motor and i know some of them have blown motors because i know them. i just wanted a pretty much stock bore and stroke car with a cam and tune in it. just wanted to know if it was anything to look for in these cars when i inspect it figured you guys would know since you own them.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by audacious nick
Just giving you ****. But I'd be concerned about that LQ9. Sounds like he fucked it up, and was a cheap-*** and put in an iron block.
I'd only go for one if I was building a large-bore engine, or boosting like crazy.

Thats NOT true, some people go that route because of FUTURE mods....because I guy has a iron block doesnt mean its a "cheap" build, I have a Iron block and it far from a cheap build
Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Same here i have the lq9 iron block but mine is for boost...yes the iron block is way cheaper so yes most people do go that route because in most cases people dont have the money to just throw at there car if the motor goes boom...and most of the cars are their daily drivers so yes the iron block is mostly what people go with....its what most people can afford right then and there when they need it fixed...so it doesnt mean that the guy is a cheap a$$...but regardless check the car over and over...bring someone with you so that you have 2 sets of eyes incase you over look something because you want the car really bad...it happens
Old 08-04-2012, 11:41 AM
TECH Addict

some misinformation in here...https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...s-morning.html. This changes slightly when you start considering internals, but the info is in that thread.

I would not be afraid of a car with an lq9, picked up 100ish lbs on the nose but I think id rather have an lq9 to be honest, you can beat the snot out of them, and they handle a lot of boost.

Unless you are a serious road race/autox guy, or a strip guy chasing every little tenth on a max effort car its no that big of a deal for a mostly street car. If you are really worried about it, relocate some weight rearward and pull some weight up front. Headers alone will offset a good bit of that weight back near stock.

What year is the gto? 04, then that lq9 is a hell of an upgrade over an ls1, bigger bore gives you a lot more options with where to go with the car and the option to got too a square port head and was a very straight forward swap. Gen 3 engine in a gen 3 car.

If its an 05-06 swap isnt so straight forward anymore, gen 4 harness, gen 3 engine. Cam sensor is in the front versus back, knock sensors are on the side of the block IIRC instead of the valley. I would just want to check it out a lot more that it was swapped correctly.

Either instance Id go over it very throughly, if you dont have the knowledge to do that I would suggest jumping on ls1gto.com. Some good guys over there and find someone that is willing to come check it out with you.

Last edited by jrob56; 08-04-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: lt1 camaro for a gto