Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Strut rub

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut rub

Hey guys I tried a search and couldn't find what I was looking for. What exactly causes the strut rub issue on our cars? I've read that the upper mount is the problem, but I've also heard that the radius rod bushings are the issue. The strut is just starting to rub the tire right in the middle of the sidewall. I just started a new job so I'm still at a poor college student status. Eventually I want to put a pedders kit on it but for right now I just want the cheapest solution to the problem. Thanks guys.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's usually the strut mount collapsing and/or the strut bearings going out.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:10 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya the strut mount/bearing is usually the issue. If I were a poor college student I wouldn't be looking at Pedders. You can do just as well with Lovells at Kollar Racing for a bit less and get poly instead of rubber mounts. Get the whole assembly of strut mounts with bearings. It would also be a good idea to replace the cheap bump stops while you have it apart. You can do the whole deal for under $200.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I was lookin at lovells stuff once I posted and looked a little more. Would it be worth doing the radius rod bushings while I have it apart? I found a strut rub kit on lovells site for $380 which seams like a good deal. It includes both strut mount and radius rod bushings. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Strut rub