Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

GTO Loose Steering Wheel Fix

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTO Loose Steering Wheel Fix

Anyone else had this problem yet? My wheel really loosened up a lot after I made a few passes down the track. The adrenaline was pumping and I really yank on the wheel while trying to put the go-pedel through the floor lol.

So here's the thing. You need a special air-bag removal tool to fix this. For whatever reason, almost no shops or dealers have this tool based on calls I made to all the GM dealers within about 50 miles of me. What you need is a "Kent-Moore Tools EL-46844 Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint" removal tool. I bought one from toolsource.com

Make sure you disconnect the power to the airbag before messing with it. I had a tech do it. I think it involves more than just disconnecting the battery so please jump in if you know what to do and i'll edit the thread.

Take the center bolt out- mine was finger loose...not safe...and didn't have any kind of safety retainer on it. Loctite the threads and put it back in and crank it down. Pics below:

Also if anyone wants my tool they can have it $15 shipped.
Attached Thumbnails GTO Loose Steering Wheel Fix-img_2410.jpg   GTO Loose Steering Wheel Fix-img_2407.jpg   GTO Loose Steering Wheel Fix-img_2408.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 03:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, to remove the airbag, all you need is the end of your GTO ignition key. It fits in the slot perfectly. That's what I used to swap the 2006 lighted steering wheel controls into my 2005.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Good find.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyborg
Anyone else had this problem yet? My wheel really loosened up a lot after I made a few passes down the track. The adrenaline was pumping and I really yank on the wheel while trying to put the go-pedel through the floor lol.

So here's the thing. You need a special air-bag removal tool to fix this. For whatever reason, almost no shops or dealers have this tool based on calls I made to all the GM dealers within about 50 miles of me. What you need is a "Kent-Moore Tools EL-46844 Steering Wheel Inflatable Restraint" removal tool. I bought one from toolsource.com

Make sure you disconnect the power to the airbag before messing with it. I had a tech do it. I think it involves more than just disconnecting the battery so please jump in if you know what to do and i'll edit the thread.

Take the center bolt out- mine was finger loose...not safe...and didn't have any kind of safety retainer on it. Loctite the threads and put it back in and crank it down. Pics below:

Also if anyone wants my tool they can have it $15 shipped.
Back at the old shop approx three years ago we had that happen to a customer's GTO that we were testing. At the time I thought it was just a fluke, sounds like it could be a real safety problem! Bob

PM's disabled, please e-mail me
E-mail: brutespeed@gmail.comob@brutespeed.com

https://brutespeed.com/ Link to website

Quick Reply: GTO Loose Steering Wheel Fix