Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Tips for installing packages cam for ls2 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 07:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for installing packages cam for ls2 GTO

Hi ...
Help me, my friends I have a GTO 06 ls2 Manual Transmission>>>
my modification on my car: American Racing heders 1/7/8 Long 3 inch and catback 3 inch Borla and also Intake and filter vararaam
I want to install CAM Package What are the best choices that I have to achieve high horsepower and good torque
Also what do you think of this CAM company lunati 651/651 235/247 113

I hope that you give me the way to get to +460 without Heads>>>>>>> note that my car made ​​398 torque and 391 horsepower ..... I hope that you all can help me by experiences which proudest
Greetings
Old 09-28-2012, 09:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

may be hard to see just with cam spring pushrods. I would say for you to upgrade your oil pump to a better one like a Milling high volume or high pressure they will work great for what you need. also do new head gaskets the GM MLS gaskets and valve cover gaskets should be replace because they can streach you may be able to get away with reusing the gaskets but they are cheap enough to replace. What I did was I got a gasket kit which cam with all new gaskets besides intake manifold and head gaskets worked out great. Head bolts and crank bolt will need to be replaced also because they are torque to yield bolts. also make sure your injectors are working properly which you have a LS2 so you should be fine.

when you are doing the work with this is your first cam you will be installing make sure you take your time and do not rush and talk to alot of people who have done them. if you are not pulling the heads make SURE!!!! you get the lift tool that holds the lifts up when you pull the cam out. I have heard a wooden dowl works too. also when you are re installing the timing over make sure it is aligned properly and seal the top 2 corners with RTV. if you have access to a GM timing cover alignment tool you will be in a even better boat. oh and you will want a HD timing chain. check out Texas Speed and Performance they have a few really nice cam packages to pick from also good Head and Cam Packages I am running a 228R with PRC LS6 stage 2 heads milled to 59cc and making 405 RWHP with a clutch thats going so loosing a little there but I also have a LS1.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Contact some of our sponsors to the right>>>> and ask them to help you. Don't just guess when selecting a cam. The the cam you mentioned is quite large, probably larger than you need. Picking a cam by internet vote is a bad idea anywhay. Talk to the folks that offer cam packages and they will help you select the one that is right for YOU.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:20 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just want a dyno number to impress that should be a good cam. It may drive like crap and baby cams may beat you but you could always wave the dyno chart.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Teching In

This is a double post lol. And I love my baby cam, I went with the 228/228 114 lsa from TSP and it made the car a blast to drive. Picked up a ton of top end and is awesome for daily driving.

Quick Reply: Tips for installing packages cam for ls2 GTO