Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Header installation 05 GTO?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header installation 05 GTO?

Who's headers fit the best? Looking at Pacesetters. Do you install from the bottom or top? Does the the steering rack have to be dropped and how hard is it?
Old 10-26-2012, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They all suck to some extent on the driver's side. That said Dynatech are probably the easiest LTs to install and are a good header too. They have all 4 tubes go outside the steering shaft while all the others have them thread around on both sides of it.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

If you've installed headers on this vehicle, it goes pretty quickly. If you haven't, we'll...it's not so bad. But yes, with Pacesetters you'll have to lower the steering rack.
If you're looking at Pacesetters, make sure you spend the extra money to get them coated. The JetHot coating is awesome.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:17 AM
10 Second Truck Club

Thanks for the replys.....do they install from the bottom?
Old 10-27-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 67SS509
Thanks for the replys.....do they install from the bottom?
I bought mine with SW longtubes, but the header install and deinstall I've helped with both came in/out from the bottom. A lift is nice for this, but you can get it done as long as you have the car off the ground.

Last edited by thehazz12; 10-27-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a set of dynatech headers but have not installed them yet.....do you have to drop the steering rack for those headers too or just for the pacesetters
Old 10-28-2012, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Install from the bottom on the D/S side. We had a lift and it took a few hours. Thinking back on it, now that I have done it, it is really not bad. Threading that power steering line was rough. And I agree about the coating. Mine have been fine with the ceramic coating, but I am in FL. They still look good, but I wish I would have gone with the Jet Hot coated version.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O-FiveCC
Install from the bottom on the D/S side. We had a lift and it took a few hours. Thinking back on it, now that I have done it, it is really not bad. Threading that power steering line was rough. And I agree about the coating. Mine have been fine with the ceramic coating, but I am in FL. They still look good, but I wish I would have gone with the Jet Hot coated version.
Did you have prom with those lines too? ****, I thought it was just me, I spent more time trying to get that line back on than installing my headers. I thought I had striped them, I had somebody else do it, I lost patience.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

kook headers are not bad, passenger side is the easiest, but you must take the steering column apart and put it through.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done a few headers on GTOs and Kooks, especially the 1 7/8ths were the hardest of them all. Don't get me wrong they're great headers but getting fitment on a lot of cars can be tricky.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:24 PM
TECH Regular

The 1-7/8ths Kooks weren't too bad on mine, as stated the dr. side is the worst...I dropped the rack but left the lines connected and while it was a tight squeeze it worked. Pass. side is cake. Did mine in a one car garage on jackstands...I even managed to get the little braces back on.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by joeyagls1
Did you have prom with those lines too? ****, I thought it was just me, I spent more time trying to get that line back on than installing my headers. I thought I had striped them, I had somebody else do it, I lost patience.
Well, one of the gaskets dropped off, and I couldn't find it. Luckily we were in a shop, so we had a variety of gaskets too choose from. It took a while to get it threaded back in there. I was originally trying from the bottom, but read that it's best from the top. It's just so hard to get a hand on it, then try to have it angled perfect to thread.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Honestly OBX headers fit awesome and they are cheap. People hate on them but the ones that do have never used them. Or they will complain they are not american made. Last time I checked neither was their GTO or the cell phone in their pocket.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:51 PM
Launching!

I think a big reason they are hated on is because basically OBX just steals the others design. I do have an OBX catback though. Fully stainless and sounds amazing to me.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:59 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by O-FiveCC
Well, one of the gaskets dropped off, and I couldn't find it. Luckily we were in a shop, so we had a variety of gaskets too choose from. It took a while to get it threaded back in there. I was originally trying from the bottom, but read that it's best from the top. It's just so hard to get a hand on it, then try to have it angled perfect to thread.
yeah it was the angle I could not get, next time I know.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Teching In

My American Racing Headers split the steering rack - they are very tight-fitting. I highly recommend ARH.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:38 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OutBurst
My American Racing Headers split the steering rack - they are very tight-fitting. I highly recommend ARH.
If they're looking at Pacesetters, I doubt they get American Racing. That's a very LARGE increase it cost for little no power gains.

OP, unless you have HUGE power goals in mind for this car in the future, just get Pacesetters and put a good coating on them. They're more than able to support your horsepower numbers into the high hundreds. I personally know of 2 guys that each made right at 760 hp to the tires with Pacesetters.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

From experience, the pacesetters fit the worst...at least in case of ground clearance.

Most headers have their primaries/collector bend up and go parallel along the lines of the body. The pacesetters don't do it as much, so the collector is actually angled down compared to the body so the midpipes also hang down lower.

Not a big deal on a stock height car, but if you're lowered at all that's going to become a pain in the ***. And scraping the headers destroys the coating, and once that's damaged it's going to chip really quickly and in a wet/saltly environment it will eatup the raw steel behind it.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
10 Second Truck Club

Have also been looking at SLP headers because they are S/S and are ceramic coated and offer cats with them. Any header I choose must be ceramic coated to keep the heat in. The coating was the reason for thinking Pacesetters. I don't think bare S/S headers are a good choice. Anybody have experience with SLP's?
Old 10-29-2012, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redtan
From experience, the pacesetters fit the worst...at least in case of ground clearance.

Most headers have their primaries/collector bend up and go parallel along the lines of the body. The pacesetters don't do it as much, so the collector is actually angled down compared to the body so the midpipes also hang down lower.

Not a big deal on a stock height car, but if you're lowered at all that's going to become a pain in the ***. And scraping the headers destroys the coating, and once that's damaged it's going to chip really quickly and in a wet/saltly environment it will eatup the raw steel behind it.
Though I don't remember the collectors being angled down, I am lowered 1"+ in front and have scraped the headers on speeds bumps, so possibly a valid
Point. Now I just go annoyingly slow over them. The front bumper so
Low is actually the biggest pita.

Quick Reply: Header installation 05 GTO?