Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

ls1 gto shift problems...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 gto shift problems...

Just had my transmission built about 2 months ago billet keys bronze pads etc...Didnt really get on it till recently after putting some miles on it. At idle im having trouble going into 1st and reverse also had trouble going in into gears at high rpms im getting locked out and the pedal feels low the floor. My clutch fluid is black ive tried sucking it out with a syringe and putting clean fluid every time i do it turns black...im leaning towards replacing the clutch master before i do just wanted to get some advice..im not driving the car till i figure it out..
Old 11-20-2012, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Does pumping your pedal help shifting? The black stuff comes from both the assembly grease used and clutch material.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:13 PM
TECH Resident

How many times have you changed the fluid? It may take several times to get it clean.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2QWK4RU 06 GOAT
Does pumping your pedal help shifting? The black stuff comes from both the assembly grease used and clutch material.
Not really...
Originally Posted by EmersonHart13
How many times have you changed the fluid? It may take several times to get it clean.
Ive used about half maybe more of a big bottle of dot4
Old 11-20-2012, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Get the tick master cylinder. Had the same problems and that fixed it all. Firmer pedal, no problems getting into gear or shifting anymore.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my transmission built about 2 months ago billet keys bronze pads etc...Didnt really get on it till recently after putting some miles on it. At idle im having trouble going into 1st and reverse also had trouble going in into gears at high rpms im getting locked out and the pedal feels low the floor. My clutch fluid is black ive tried sucking it out with a syringe and putting clean fluid every time i do it turns black...im leaning towards replacing the clutch master before i do just wanted to get some advice..im not driving the car till i figure it out..
Need some information first....
How much power or what mods?
How many miles and what clutch?
Did you do the install?
New or reused hydraulics?
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
Need some information first....
How much power or what mods?
How many miles and what clutch?
Did you do the install?
New or reused hydraulics?
Full bolt on ls1 prob 330-340 whp no cam. About 15k miles on stock clutch. I did not do the install had a shop near houston do it. Reused stock hydraulics..
Old 11-20-2012, 11:23 PM
Staging Lane

E
Originally Posted by adamc45
Get the tick master cylinder. Had the same problems and that fixed it all. Firmer pedal, no problems getting into gear or shifting anymore.
Cool thats the way i planned on going, from what ive read they are a common problem.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:40 AM
11 Second Club

Try bleeding it first.

No reason its shouldnt disengage, If its all stock parts.
Only 15k on the car?!? Thats a well garaged 04 lol

Bleed about half a quart through and that should clear out any of the old gunky black fluid. Also might get some air out that maybe they didnt
Old 11-21-2012, 08:31 AM
12 Second Club

I'd put my money on the clutch not the master cylinder. When you replace that put in a new slave and that will take care of the fluid turning black quickly and make sure you put on a remote bleeder.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gconnoyer
Try bleeding it first.

No reason its shouldnt disengage, If its all stock parts.
Only 15k on the car?!? Thats a well garaged 04 lol

Bleed about half a quart through and that should clear out any of the old gunky black fluid. Also might get some air out that maybe they didnt
Haha hell nah bruh i wish lol the car has about 70k but the clutch was replaced with a stock clutch 15-20k ago. Im gonna def try to bleed it this weekend see how that works out.

Originally Posted by svede1212
I'd put my money on the clutch not the master cylinder. When you replace that put in a new slave and that will take care of the fluid turning black quickly and make sure you put on a remote bleeder.
Damn i wished they would have at least replaced the slave just becuz its a cheap part for precaution reasons, but yeah this would prob be my last option if bleeding and or replacing the mc doesnt work.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:59 AM
Staging Lane

Sup guys haven't had a chance to mess with the car yet, but what are the odds that a bad rebuild on the tranny is whats causing my issues?
Old 12-09-2012, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

Update* Got around to bleeding the clutch using the jmd method earlier today. Improved the pedal pressure somewhat but still not going into 3rd gear over 4k rpm...next step order new clutch master replace it..kind of starting to **** me off considering i spent 2k on the rebuild by a highly respected shop in my area...

Last edited by PBMGTO; 12-09-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Staging Lane

Considering ordering a ram mc today and doing the drill mod when i get it considering the price and my funds being tied up with Christmas.... any naysayers?
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

If you are not mechanically inclined do not just start throwing parts at it as you will be spending unnecessary money. From your description is sounds like a hydraulic issue which would be unrelated to your transmission rebuild. I would also recommend posting in the manual transmission section as you will get better advice on troubleshooting your problem from t56 experts than the gto section. My shadetree mechanic opinion is that your slave cylinder is going bad, cheap part to replace but labor intensive if you are not familiar with pulling transmissions...
Old 12-15-2012, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by alexc
If you are not mechanically inclined do not just start throwing parts at it as you will be spending unnecessary money. From your description is sounds like a hydraulic issue which would be unrelated to your transmission rebuild. I would also recommend posting in the manual transmission section as you will get better advice on troubleshooting your problem from t56 experts than the gto section. My shadetree mechanic opinion is that your slave cylinder is going bad, cheap part to replace but labor intensive if you are not familiar with pulling transmissions...
Alright thnx man I'll try posting in the transmission section...i usually do my own work unless i dont have time or what not....ive done a few motor swaps, clutch jobs, cam swaps on other cars b4 but yet to do anything major on a ls car other than basic bolt ons tune ups etc...
Old 12-16-2012, 08:07 AM
Staging Lane

**** it gonna buy a Tick mc and try to install it next week depending on when they can ship it to me....
Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Tick MC ever fix your issues? Updates por fay-vor!

I have identical problem right down to the built trans part...

Quick Reply: ls1 gto shift problems...